Dumping AT&T (Cricket?)

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I'm looking for good alternatives for AT&T while keeping our current AT&T phones.

We're paying over $230 for 4 smartphones and 1 basic phone per month in a family plan. A couple of weeks ago I no longer was able to text my wife. She can text me but I can't text her. I can text others just fine. The text shows as sent on my IPhone 4S but is never received on her Samsung Galaxy S4. We both deleted each other as contacts and re-added but it still doesn't work. We've both sent test text messages to AT&T with good results. She is not blocking me as I can call her just fine.

I think it is time to dump AT&T as they want me to wipeout my phone and reinstall. I did upgrade to IOS7 a few weeks ago and the problem started shortly after.

Anyone hear good things about Cricket Wireless?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
my first post, and shockingly not about miles and points! But I thought I'd chime in since I recently switched mom from ATT to Cricket. I did the math and liked the post-switch savings. I myself had to wait since I was still on a contract. I've since realized one benefit of ATT that Cricket lacks, and that is the international data plan that covers ~200 countries. Came in handy when I traveled to 7 countries over the course of 2 weeks, where it was impractical to buy local SIM cards at each country for like 2 days. Something to consider if you travel internationally. Other than that, Cricket definitely saves, and we've had no problem.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Wipe your phone and start over. Its not AT&T but an Apple issue. It happens.

As for the cost of your lines, assuming your phones are unlocked, I'd say go with T-mobile. They have pretty good service now and cheap family plans.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I only have AT&T because I have their grandfathered unlimited data plan for $30 / month each for 3 phones. But I'm month to month. Last year when the iPhone 5s came out, I bought the Verizon model at full price, so I can use it overseas. But I'm still on AT&T.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Update: We finally found the problem!!!

I tried everything (wiping my phone, turning off iMessage, etc...) but my wife could not receive my texts. AT&T had no clue either.

It turns out that there is a spam folder for text messages on Android phones. If a cell number is added to the spam list then the texts are sent to this spam folder and the recipient is never made aware. The texts look like they are sent successfully but never "arrive" on the recipients phone because they are in the text spam folder.

My wife should do quality control testing for cell phone companies, TIVO, anything electronic really. She has a knack for clicking too fast and not being patient enough that breaks most electronics. She had no idea that she added my number to the text spam list. There are just too many options on her phone to get her into trouble.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
She has a knack for clicking too fast and not being patient enough that breaks most electronics. She had no idea that she added my number to the text spam list. There are just too many options on her phone to get her into trouble.
Sounds like she needs an iPhone.

:D

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
My mom (non-techie) thought her iPhone was broken. All her calls immediately kept going to VM. Since I don't live near her, I called AT&T to have them troubleshoot ... they did everything from reprovisioning and resetting the phone. She then went to the AT&T store. So we thought it must be the device. My mom went to the Apple store...they fixed it in a minute. With iOS7, there's the quick bottom swipe feature. Well, she accidentally had clicked on the "Moon" (Do Not Disturb).

Haley

I am not a robot
My mom (non-techie) thought her iPhone was broken. All her calls immediately kept going to VM...With iOS7, there's the quick bottom swipe feature. Well, she accidentally had clicked on the "Moon" (Do Not Disturb).
Your Mom is not alone. I've done this to myself, or set airplane mode the same way, too many times to admit.

Haley

I am not a robot
About Cricket, you want very local advice.
Coverage is not the same everywhere and even within the same city it can be very different. Check for local, recent reviews.

I have a love/hate relationship with AT&T. Fantastic coverage where I use it the most. But expensive.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
My mom (non-techie) thought her iPhone was broken. All her calls immediately kept going to VM. Since I don't live near her, I called AT&T to have them troubleshoot ... they did everything from reprovisioning and resetting the phone. She then went to the AT&T store. So we thought it must be the device. My mom went to the Apple store...they fixed it in a minute. With iOS7, there's the quick bottom swipe feature. Well, she accidentally had clicked on the "Moon" (Do Not Disturb).

LOL! That would be my wife too... We know to check the most common things now but this one had us both stumped.