Dropping the iPhone 5 for the Moto X

M

Matt

I recently tested a Moto X from Republic Wireless, and was so impressed that before getting around to writing this review I have already bought one from them. I’ll be buying the second as soon as I am free from the chains of my old AT&T contract, which happens next month. In the 5 years that we have been iPhone users this is the first time I have been happy about dropping my iPhone…. (more…)

Continue reading...

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
I liked the size of the Moto X ( I recently sold mine ) especially coming from an iPhone 5.
The screen size was improved but there were a lot of things that I missed about the iPhone. Especially the integration of iMessage and other features between OSX and iOS.

I really liked the Active Display and the "Ok, Google" command.
Though I have emulated both these on my OnePlus One.

Over all. Nice choice. Not sure how Republic Wireless is though.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Seems ok - Right now it's only the Mrs who switched over as my iphone is in contract until next month.

I like the active display a lot, and haven't fully bitten the bullet on OSX so don't miss that. Only have a mac as the media center for now but am considering a macbook.

bismark

Level 2 Member
I have a bit of an investment in the iOS ecosystem (yes, I actually pay for apps since I prefer sustainable business practices) so it would be hard to ever leave. I do wish they could make something like this for iOS since I do spend 90% of my time somewhere with good wifi. It would require Apple opening up the system to these sort of partners however to work since it's not as hackable as Android.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
Curious if anymore people have signed up with Republic Wireless. My big concern is traveling to rural areas that don't have as many cell phone towers. My husband needs a new phone, but I love how my iphone 5 syncs to all my devices. We're not under contract and could easily make the jump to Republic Wireless.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Curious if anymore people have signed up with Republic Wireless. My big concern is traveling to rural areas that don't have as many cell phone towers. My husband needs a new phone, but I love how my iphone 5 syncs to all my devices. We're not under contract and could easily make the jump to Republic Wireless.
Just FYI it will work in rural areas- it switches to roam on Sprint- note that roaming data is capped at 25mb now.

Overall, I'd say the phone is good but the call quality isn't always great, will keep checking on that. I'm personally eyeing T Mobile at this time.

smittytabb

Staff member
My son has it and has had no issues in rural areas that I know of.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
I'm checking out everyone right now. My iphone 5 works fine right now so I really don't want to buy a new phone. I've heard good things about T-Mobile especially how reasonable it is. Anyone have any experience with Cricket Wireless?