Does $ per hour (savings/earnings) influence your decisions

dzcinci

Level 2 Member
People have to make decisions all the time...
"Do I do this task myself or hire it out?"
"Do I take this extra time to save money (or make money)?"
Do you have an assigned (or in your head) marginal $ per hour rate which influences what things you do/don't do outside of your normal job?

Say you earn $30 per hour at your day job, and could have additional work at $30 per hour if you wanted it. Let's pretend there are no taxes/benefits impact. If you had tasks at home (car maintenance, landscape maintenance) that you could hire out at $15 per hour, if you hired it out and worked 30 minutes to pay for an hour of landscape work needed, you had no financial impact of your decision and gained 30 minutes of free time. Seems in this case, unless you hate your job or receive intangible joy from doing landscaping yourself, it would be better to hire someone and enjoy your gained 30 minutes pursuing other pleasures. (This assumes the person you hire can do the job well!)

Same scenario, but you have plumbing work need and the plumber charges $90 per hour labor. It seems if you are up to the task and can perform it with the same quality and only a little slower than a plumber could, it may make sense to do this yourself (as you are 'earning' a rate greater than your marginal rate at your job). Even if the plumbing job takes you 2 hours vs the plumber's 1, you 'earned/saved' at a $45 per hour rate.

Now this is a little more difficult to conceptualize for those on salary or do not have the ability to directly take additional hours at their day job. Even though I cannot directly work more hours to get more pay, I still establish "what is the value of the time I spend outside of work?"

The first 2 scenarios above are about hire a pro vs DIY decisions. This analysis is something I naturally think of. Where I think about it less is in some of the following scenarios.

I want to buy a $100 item. I spend 10 minutes a day for 6 days searching the internet and trying to find a good deal. On day 6 I find it for $90 and buy it. I saved $10 but I spent an hour of time and only 'earned' $10 per hour for that effort.

I buy 1 $500 plastic card (4 minutes); set the pin (1 minute); go to another store and convert the plastic to paper (10 minutes); fill out the paper and deposit it in an ATM (5 minutes). If I receive a gain (in points, miles or cash back) which I value at $10 but spent 20 minutes, my earning rate is $30 per hour (at the break even point so maybe this is not worth it.) This is where scale comes into play. If I can scale this process by 5x in about the same amount of time, now the hourly savings rate looks much better.

Sometimes this logic does not work well for me. If I have the opportunity to save $0.50 by performing a task that takes 30 seconds, but there is no ability to scale it, I often will not do this (even though the hourly earnings/savings is pretty nice). Also, while I neglected taxes and benefits impact in the scenarios above, in real life these factors do exist, so $22/hour 'saved' may be more equivalent to earning an extra $30/hour in reported income.

Do other people consider the hourly savings/earnings rate when making decisions about: DIY vs hire it out; MS/AOR schemes; couponing; etc...? Are there other twists/adaptations of the logic that you use? I would love to hear from some others about this topic.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
A great question. I think the key though is to factor in how many hours at X you are actually earning, vs you are being unproductive. This then ties into how many hours of TV you watch, how many hours you sleep, etc. If you just look at an 8 hr day and work out your hourly rate that is inaccurate, and in some ways doing the DIY or other 'activity' in the evening or during free time is like having a second job, that can drastically increase your income.

I tend to do most things myself also because I value the learning experience. Plus I think of things like the plumbing example as pretty huge savers. Recently I fixed a faucet at home for zero cost (had a blockage in the supply line) which would have cost a fair amount when you factor in labor and call out fees.

When it comes to the plastic card examples, I tend to agree. But I think the big difference for me is the variable nature of demand. I personally don't keep very high balances of points, so if I need a free trip somewhere I'll work hard at generating points, that may take several hours, and then use them to pay for the trip. I wouldn't go out of my way to just earn 500. Opportunistically, if I was in a store that offered the chance to acquire 500 because I was doing something else, I see that differently.

Lastly, I do find it very hard to say what I earn hourly. For the past 8-9 years I have been working pretty much for myself (in various capacities) and I can earn nothing for 6 months, or two years salary in 5 minutes, so it is hard to say. Therefore I try to attempt to wash out non productive activity and replace it with productive activity, even if it doesn't always earn as much as I could earn, a positive is a positive.

Alex1432

Level 2 Member
It all depends on what you like doing. I enjoy scouring the internet for that coupon code so to me that time isn't wasted I learned some stuff maybe read something. Heck that's how I found saveroricty a link from another blog that I happen to randomly find. You can't live your life as how much you could be earning in an hour.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I agree with both the OP and Matt.

Much harder for me to measure and throttle is the time to get and stay current and ready to begin the activity that earns the miles, cash back, fuel points, whatever. Learning about opportunities is easier with helpful forums like Saverocity, but it still takes time to read through many interesting ideas to find one that I think has merit for me. After that there's research, looking for and creating data points, and of course the inevitable blind alleys.

Finding a good balance between all this and the rest of life is a constant tug and pull I work on just about every day.

DebentureBoy

Level 2 Member
There is a nice little exercise here relating to this: http://programs.clearerthinking.org/what_is_your_time_really_worth_to_you.html#.VE_DGfnF9VQ

I think we need to decide if we make a choice based on the math or on our emotions (or other soft issues) -- both can be appropriate ways to go. For instance, I like to change my own oil sometimes, even though Jiffy Lube can do it for less than I make on an hourly basis.

Another example: I can hire out electrical work and drywall work for roughly the same $/hour. I ALWAYS do my own electrical work because I like doing it. I almost always hire out drywall work because I HATE doing it.

This sort of merges in with people's thoughts on paying off their mortgage. For me, having a 30 year 3.5% loan is AWESOME! Why would I pay it off early? I expect inflation to rise over the 30 years, I expect to make more than 3.5% on my investments and I have no concern over entering retirement with a mortgage. For others, retiring with a mortgage wouldn't let them sleep at night.