Do you use password management/protection software?

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
I have been using last pass.. I like it but they it won't auto populate many sites. I hate the fact that their buttons are so small and sometimes it takes multiple clicks to copy the password or username.

But you can configure keyboard shortcuts and it is immensely helpful in form filling

Manspender

Level 2 Member
I latched onto LastPass a few months ago and find it very useful. I do have a few bugs with it especially when you have multiple sign ons for the same site. But I like the ability to randomize passwords up to 24 characters. I use it on all my devices and it sure makes traveling easier. I used to have a password file that held all my passwords but did not have access to it when I traveled.

rockhopper

Level 2 Member
I'm a day late & a dollar short here, but we have used LastPass now for several years & love it. There's a little teeny learning curve, but once you get it, your life is so much easier (and more secure in my very untechnical opinion -- hey, those manufactured passwords sure beat IHateWork the like!). Great integration with all your iThings too.

rockhopper

Level 2 Member
I latched onto LastPass a few months ago and find it very useful. I do have a few bugs with it especially when you have multiple sign ons for the same site. But I like the ability to randomize passwords up to 24 characters. I use it on all my devices and it sure makes traveling easier. I used to have a password file that held all my passwords but did not have access to it when I traveled.
Using multiple sign-ons shouldn't be difficult. I'll be happy to help if you need!

thorax

Level 90 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Warlock
I'm a day late & a dollar short here, but we have used LastPass now for several years & love it. There's a little teeny learning curve, but once you get it, your life is so much easier (and more secure in my very untechnical opinion -- hey, those manufactured passwords sure beat IHateWork the like!). Great integration with all your iThings too.
This. I've been a premium member of Lastpass since I found it. Amazingly simple and secure software.

Sooner

Level 2 Member
I use Lastpass also, but I really like Frost's post on using common, unrelated words. Here I thought I was so smart replacing letters with numbers or symbols. My issue is that I hate, hate to change my passwords, so I'm sure that makes me more vulnerable. Anyone using a password changing strategy?

thorax

Level 90 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Warlock
I use Lastpass also, but I really like Frost's post on using common, unrelated words. Here I thought I was so smart replacing letters with numbers or symbols. My issue is that I hate, hate to change my passwords, so I'm sure that makes me more vulnerable. Anyone using a password changing strategy?
If you use Lastpass, why not let it generate the passwords?

mws50

Level 2 Member
Haven't seen Keeper mentioned in this thread. I've been using it for a while and been very happy using it both on my desktop and Android.

Sooner

Level 2 Member
If you use Lastpass, why not let it generate the passwords?
I've found through sad experience that sometimes Lastpass and IOS Safari have glitches, and I'm on the road a lot. Unless I try to keep the password of the moment recognizable and consistent, I'm SOL until I get back to my laptop. When I started, I let Lastpass generate, and I was locked out of my AMEX account for several days traveling.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Not at all - I am still procrastinating with this and so input is still welcome!

By the way, I also have a long PW list. I have just started storing it in the cloud which makes it easily accessible to me (and, yikes, maybe hackers!) across my laptop, iPhone and iPad. Before that I was uploading a copy to my iPad but then I'd need to do that every time I travelled to be sure I had access to the latest version.

I keep promising myself that I will move to a PW management program - but I am spending too much of my flexible time MSing instead ;) !

extradosed

Professional Engineer, Amateur World Traveller
I use Lastpass because it is extremely secure. I follow Steve Gibson through his security podcast "Security Now," and he has an episode in which he goes into excruciating detail as to how Lastpass does security correctly. You can see it and a summary of his points here:

http://blog.lastpass.com/2010/07/lastpass-gets-green-light-from-security.html

Basically, Lastpass is secure enough that even tin foil hat types can trust it if used correctly. I store everything from passwords to credit cards to passports and SSNs with it.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I have decided that I can do no more MS until I deal with my PWs, so
I have been reviewing all the above posts. I have narrowed it down to LastPass or OnePassword. Although I almost never say this, I don't really care about the cost.
I have been using last pass. I like it but they it won't auto populate many sites. I hate the fact that their buttons are so small and sometimes it takes multiple clicks to copy the password or username.

But you can configure keyboard shortcuts and it is immensely helpful in form filling
Re: LastPass, Can anyone provide more info on:
1) the small button issue, and
2) how good or bad it is in populating sites

Also, I had hoped I'd find a PW program that, when I click on a site, say a bank's, would automatically log me in. LowHassle's comment makes it sound like I still will be copying and pasting PWs. That's not so different from what I do now when I check my homegrown list for usernames and PWs I don't remember.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I do appreciate everyone's input and help.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
@ElainePDX

1. I don't know what the "small button" issue is.
2. Every site that I visit it populates very well.

The Chrome/Firefox/Safari extension has not let me down. Of course there are certain sites that're a little wonky and it messes with LastPass.
It's simple to just right click, scroll down to "LastPass" and hit "AutoFill"

LastPass is free to try. Unlike OnePassword. Give it a try.

midnightinharlem

Level 2 Member
Folks, please give Dashlane a try. I spent a lot of time trying out all of the above, and Dashlane was, and still is, far and away the best. They do a great job populating websites, including those with two-factor authentication. Cannot recommend it enough.

rockhopper

Level 2 Member
I have decided that I can do no more MS until I deal with my PWs, so
I have been reviewing all the above posts. I have narrowed it down to LastPass or OnePassword. Although I almost never say this, I don't really care about the cost.

Re: LastPass, Can anyone provide more info on:
1) the small button issue, and
2) how good or bad it is in populating sites

Also, I had hoped I'd find a PW program that, when I click on a site, say a bank's, would automatically log me in. LowHassle's comment makes it sound like I still will be copying and pasting PWs. That's not so different from what I do now when I check my homegrown list for usernames and PWs I don't remember.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I do appreciate everyone's input and help.
I have no issues w/the size of the buttons, so cannot comment.

I rarely encounter a site where it does not auto-populate. Perhaps that user doesn't have it configured to do so? LastPass is highly customizable. If you do encounter a site where you have multiple log-ins (say, if you have three Gmail accounts), an asterisk appears to the right of the login name box; click that, select which account you'd like to use, and the fields then auto-populate. If this doesn't make sense, LMK & I can explain in further detail.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Thanks. Much appreciated. Poking around the 1Pass site right now.

One more question:

what happens with LastPass and 1Pass when you, for example, log in into barclaycardus.com if you have one account for yourself and another for your spouse/SO/someone whose CCs you manage? Does the gmail explanation work for a bank account site as well? Thanks.

Update:

I've been poking around the websites for LastPass and 1Password. I like 1Password's better. It also seem more current in that the latest version is for OS10.10 (Yosemite). LastPass doesn't seem to mention Yosemite that I could see.

One more question: Do these PW managers work with AwardWallet? How do I set that up? I guess I'd need to go into my AW account and update with the new PWs the manager has created....? Indeed, do the programs lead you through such that you can change your current PW to a new one, site by site?

Last edited:

RTR

Level 2 Member
For non banking passwords management, I use LastPass coupled with a Yubikey to provide 2 step authentication. I've got two Yubikeys one for home another for work.

For banking pw management I use an IronKey. Therefore no banking pw are in the cloud.

extradosed

Professional Engineer, Amateur World Traveller
Elaine, I think of Awardwallet almost like a separate password manager just for loyalty programs. You'd have to go to each loyalty program's website and create a new password with lastpass and whatever password manager you go with. Then you'd go back to AW and enter that new password.

I won't lie, creating all new secure passwords for every site you use is going to take some time. But the piece of mind you get with having secure, unique passwords for everything can't be beat. The next time some big site you use looses data, all you have to do is go there and change that one password. No worries.

Freakflyer

Level 2 Member
Thanks, Annie H, and everyone above, for all the feedback. This is the first negative I have heard about RoboForm. Definitely a helpful data point. I for sure want something that will work well on the various browsers, as well as on my Mac, ipad and phone.
I have been using roboform successfully for years. There are still complaints out there from roboform users who thought that they purchased s lifetime license only to have that pulled with a major new release. My biggest concern with roboform (and it may be true for all of them) is that you can't export your passwords. I have hundreds saved and it would be a massive task to switch to another product.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
For non banking passwords management, I use LastPass coupled with a Yubikey to provide 2 step authentication. I've got two Yubikeys one for home another for work.

For banking pw management I use an IronKey. Therefore no banking pw are in the cloud.
Yes, I think I saw your earlier post about Yubikey - seems I remember 2 folks mentioning it. I also saw it referred to on the LastPass site.
Elaine, I think of Awardwallet almost like a separate password manager just for loyalty programs. You'd have to go to each loyalty program's website and create a new password with lastpass and whatever password manager you go with. Then you'd go back to AW and enter that new password.

I won't lie, creating all new secure passwords for every site you use is going to take some time. But the piece of mind you get with having secure, unique passwords for everything can't be beat. The next time some big site you use looses data, all you have to do is go there and change that one password. No worries.
Thanks for confirming how I thought it would work with AW. And yes, the startup time - and indecision on which program to use - is why I keep procrastinating. By telling myself "no MSing until you get this done!" I hope to finally, as we say around these (Nike) parts Just Do It.
I have been using roboform successfully for years. There are still complaints out there from roboform users who thought that they purchased s lifetime license only to have that pulled with a major new release. My biggest concern with roboform (and it may be true for all of them) is that you can't export your passwords. I have hundreds saved and it would be a massive task to switch to another product.
I did see both LastPass and OnePassword address this issue on their sites. Don't know about RoboForm but there are ways to import PWs from other PW managers to a new one.

LP is free and you can upgrade to premium for $1 a month, which I'd need to do.

1PW is $49.99 for a license that up to 6 people in a family can share. You can try it free for 30 days and add up to 20 PWs. If you decide not to pay for it, you retain access to the 20. There must be promo codes around since there is a space in the order form for one.

One issue with 1PW is I will need to upgrade to OS10.10 but that is probably a good idea anyway. The upgrade is free and came out in the fall, so hopefully the glitches have been worked out.

At this point I'm leaning to 1PW - I like that its newest release is designed for 10.10. I also found the website much more user friendly and packed with easy to understand info. I believe you buy it once, and then all upgrades are free. In the long run it will be cheaper than LastPass.

So if anyone has a promo code or link to a deal on 1PW, please post it.

Thanks again to everyone, even those who suggested a different PW manager. You all contributed to helping me puzzle this through. You all are awesome!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Elaine, please keep reporting. I need a nudge to migrate from Roboform , what a PIA. I was thinking of starting w/Last Past on my Android Tablet and going from there... or I could do 1PW. As I understand it, migrating Roboform PW is almost impossible. Any solutions?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Folks, please give Dashlane a try. I spent a lot of time trying out all of the above, and Dashlane was, and still is, far and away the best. They do a great job populating websites, including those with two-factor authentication. Cannot recommend it enough.
Why give a knockoff LastPass a try?

grebel

Level 2 Member
I use lastpass and have for probably the last 3+ years. I use it for convenience more than security. It will pick random passwords if you want, but as @Alex1432 said, I feel like most password thefts are coming from the sites themselves, so I use my own passwords that I can usually remember if I don't have the extension on a browser or am somewhere public.

I will freely admit that it may not be the most secure method, but damn if it isn't convenient and to date I haven't had any problems.
I've been using last pass now for about 4-5 years. I even pay for the premium app so I can use it on my mobile phone. Last pass is pretty secure! They have double encryption, which means employees at Lastpass cannot access your information even if they were breached as it is encrypted on their end. It is also encrypted on your end (so don't forget your one main password).

The main benefit of Lastpass is that you only have to remember one password (make it really complicated and strong). Inside Lastpass you can generate insanely long and complicated passwords, and have a unique one for each site. Many password breaches happen when people reuse login information across accounts. Last Pass can even do an audit, pointing out weak passwords you may have.

You can save and use autofill creditcard accounts, bank accounts, profiles. You can organize passwords and sites by category. You can have secure notes for SSN, Licenses, etc.

my wife and I both use Lastpass and we can share login information with each other and it stays encrypted in the last pass system. If I wanted to, I could then rescind access for her if I wanted.

You can do multifactor authentication, set logout times.

I could go on and on, but Lastpass is freaking awesome.

grebel

Level 2 Member
I've found through sad experience that sometimes Lastpass and IOS Safari have glitches, and I'm on the road a lot. Unless I try to keep the password of the moment recognizable and consistent, I'm SOL until I get back to my laptop. When I started, I let Lastpass generate, and I was locked out of my AMEX account for several days traveling.
I had a few problems with Last pass showing attachments to secure notes in the Safari version, but was otherwise glitch free. I finally switched to Chrome for other reasons, but I think they're getting better at Safari support.