Do you stockpile store gift cards?

tmount

Administrator

Graphic found at http://www.changefindr.com/

Increasingly, I’m starting to think maybe it makes sense. Let me give you some background, I keep reading all the great stuff that Chasing the Points is writing about, about how he can get gift cards at pretty decent percentages off, then sell them, essentially manufacturing spending in his pajamas. It’s awfully tempting! But, I’m not going to start selling gift cards–at least not yet. I have purchased gift cards in advance of making a purchase, and have mentioned it in the past, like how Gift Cards make Kohl’s even better, and that’s the kind’ve view I’m taking for this post.

That said, the question I’m trying to answer for myself (and would love to hear your input too), is: do you jump on a gift card deal, in the anticipation of a deal that the gift card will enable you to be profitable on?

For example, Frequent Miler’s QuickDeal for $150 in eBay Gift Cards for $135, here’s a great way to get gift cards at lower than face value. The result is that you can use that to buy product to resell, thereby reducing your total outlay for that product beyond any promotion a store may offer, or miles/points/cashback from a shopping portal.

But then how far is too far? Do you stockpile gift cards? What happens if you get shutdown like our friend Vinh at Miles per Day?

How I go about things at the moment

I am far from a good example when it comes to *truly* stacking deals. Some folks go through many steps to stack deals. I unfortunately don’t have time for that, so the most I’ll do is buy gift cards from Staples, Sears, or off of eBay — but generally only if I see a prospect. I’m very cautious about speculatively buying gift cards.

So, how far do you go, accumulating gift cards? Only when the great deals are there, good deals, or as a general practice?

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I mainly stockpile restaurant gift cards, but I also keep a decent balance with Amazon. Mainly for the 5x from office supply stores. But I'll also combine quarterly 5x bonuses with a restaurant bonus card offer. For example, before Christmas, Mothers day and Fathers day a lot of restaurants offer a $10 bonus card when purchasing a $50 gift card. I sometimes stray from the 5x earning when Amex offers has a good enough deal.