DIY Watch Making

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I started up a thread in Level 2 about reselling jewelry, which got me to thinking again about watch making. It is something that I explored in the past but didn't get around to doing, it's in the someday/maybe file.

The reason it interests me (other than being a weirdo) is the intrinsic value notion. It started when I learned that a Panerai I once owned (lost it without insurance...) was actually operated by a simple movement called the Valjoux 7750. This movement can be found in watches that start from about $500 on eBay and you can find both old watches, and old movements from about $150.

Now, when you consider the Pannies were selling from $5K and up, and the meat of the watch is the movement, you can see my desire to dig into intrinsic value, and produce a watch of similar quality for about 1/10th of the price.

You can find all the parts you need on eBay, but I dug around a bit further and found a company called Ikler in Germany that makes some nice looking cases: Ikler

Any watch makers out there, or anyone thinking twice about that pricey bit of wrist candy now you know that many of them have cheap innards?

Ja350z

Level 2 Member
A guy I know in Philadelphia started doing something like that by restoring old pocket watches & converting them into wrist watches. They're actually pretty neat, you can check them out at doughboywatchco.com
The owner/maker (Tom) is a pretty nice guy, I'm sure could offer some pointers if you reached out.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
A guy I know in Philadelphia started doing something like that by restoring old pocket watches & converting them into wrist watches. They're actually pretty neat, you can check them out at doughboywatchco.com
The owner/maker (Tom) is a pretty nice guy, I'm sure could offer some pointers if you reached out.
Nice, they are very classy - I need advice on how to get 8 more hours into the day.