DFW to PDX

PointSeeker07

Level 2 Member
So my wifes bday is approaching and I wanted to surprise her with a trip to Portland. She just loves it out there but has only visited once. I am looking for help in booking economy award space for Sept 3rd or 4th - 7th.

I found an AA saver from DFW-PDX for 12.5k/pp but there is no saver on the trip back (its 20k/pp). I was thinking of trying Alaska Air but I'm not sure what miles transfer other than on AA. I also wouldn't be opposed to taking AA there and another carrier back. Also wouldn't mind doing a saver business or first

Thanks

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I know you mention award only but do you have any tool that would reimburse a revenue ticket, like Citi Prestige, Ritz Carlton, Amex Plat, etc?

Sometimes other airlines fly cheaper to a competitor's hub, meaning anyone other than AA in this case.

SW pts can be great as well.

smittytabb

Staff member
I know you mention award only but do you have any tool that would reimburse a revenue ticket, like Citi Prestige, Ritz Carlton, Amex Plat, etc?

Sometimes other airlines fly cheaper to a competitor's hub, meaning anyone other than AA in this case.

SW pts can be great as well.
Citi Prestige and Flex Perks can "reimburse" a revenue ticket, well sort of. You actually book the flights with the points. I am trying to figure out your angle to have Ritz and Amex Plat do the same. Via GC purchase? Am I missing something?

smittytabb

Staff member
So my wifes bday is approaching and I wanted to surprise her with a trip to Portland. She just loves it out there but has only visited once. I am looking for help in booking economy award space for Sept 3rd or 4th - 7th.

I found an AA saver from DFW-PDX for 12.5k/pp but there is no saver on the trip back (its 20k/pp). I was thinking of trying Alaska Air but I'm not sure what miles transfer other than on AA. I also wouldn't be opposed to taking AA there and another carrier back. Also wouldn't mind doing a saver business or first

Thanks
If it's on AA, it could be cheaper with Avios. If there is no space coming back, you could use something like Citi Prestige or FlexPerks to buy the ticket on points.

PointSeeker07

Level 2 Member
I have Amex Business Plat, but didn't know they do reimbursement for revenue ticket. I know you are able to use a GC purchase to get $100 back a year, but I already did that this year. I looked at SW last night as well and points wise it was like 75k which is higher than the AA points.

Is that US Bank Flexperks your mentioning? I dont have that yet but I was considering getting one with the bank bonus

PointSeeker07

Level 2 Member
If it's on AA, it could be cheaper with Avios. If there is no space coming back, you could use something like Citi Prestige or FlexPerks to buy the ticket on points.
How can you find out if its cheaper with Avios? I wasnt able to use the BA website to search for flights

italdesign

Level 2 Member
How can you find out if its cheaper with Avios? I wasnt able to use the BA website to search for flights
Check gcmap.com for the distance, then check this chart (note: I don't think coach was impacted in recent devaluation but I need to double check) for how much avios. There's also an avios calculator on BA.com.