Detroit

sriki

Level 2 Member
i am leaving to Detroit tomorrow for a quick weekend getaway. Anything interesting that the fine folks of this forum would recommend in terms of sights to see, food to eat, etc. advice is appreciated.

Malvina

Level 2 Member
Beautiful city in 1920s. No go without a car. Be careful ( I mean, be careful) in Downtown. Visit Grosse Pointe. Great MS in suburbs.

1. Greenfield Village
2. GM Renaissance Center
3. Grosse Pointe
4. Detroit Museum of Arts
if you do not like it cross Detroit River to Windsor ON (Canada)

Food 1. Mexicantown
2. Greektown

How did you like Boston? Awful weather.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Beautiful city in 1920s. No go without a car. Be careful ( I mean, be careful) in Downtown. Visit Grosse Pointe. Great MS in suburbs.

1. Greenfield Village
2. GM Renaissance Center
3. Grosse Pointe
4. Detroit Museum of Arts
if you do not like it cross Detroit River to Windsor ON (Canada)

Food 1. Mexicantown
2. Greektown

How did you like Boston? Awful weather.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Boston is a cool town. I wish I had more time but did enjoy the time I was there. Weather sucked. It was very cold. And after saying that I'm still going to Detroit in December. Someone smack me on the back of my head please.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
I echo what Malvina said - be very careful. My hubby is from Detroit and when we go back, we never go into the city. Hope to hear what you thought of it.

MotownMan

Level 2 Member
Welcome to Detroit from a proud resident! Hope you enjoyed the fine [December] weather this weekend. I actually just returned from Greenfield Village for their Christmas event 'Holiday Nights'.

If you are still around, I HIGHLY suggest you head to Dearborn and get some Arab food. Detroit metro has the highest number of Arabs anywhere outside the Arab world and some great food from the region. Eat at Al-Saha on Warren Avenue (everything is good), then go next door (you'll see it) to Shatila for the best, and cheapest, Arab dessert you'll ever enjoy. You'll need to take a number from the door on the far side from Al-Saha.

Hit the Arab American National Museum just a mile south to learn about the history of Arab immigration to the US and some cool stuff about Arab history/culture.

The famous Rouge River Ford factory is another mile south from there- worth seeing from the outside (it used to employ 100,000 people, yes, 100k), but they do a great tour too.

Get coffee in midtown Detroit at Great Lakes and take it to the Detroit Institute of Arts- literally one of the best Museums in the US.

The main roundabout downtown- campus martius- has an outdoor skating rink and some super cool Christmas decorations now. Worth walking around if not skating as well!

The largest historic public market district is in Detroit- and its super cool. You missed the Saturday market, but for others that come, definitely grab a coffee at Germack coffee (local roaster in the market) and walk around the Eastern Market, get some local produce, eat some fresh basked goods, and enjoy the eclectic scene (http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com).

Detroit certainly has a crime problem, but the downtown and trendy Midtown areas are just as safe as most downtowns. Do not worry about walking around there, even at night. Take the same precautions you would elsewhere in the US.

Hope you enjoyed the time you had here!

Last edited:

kenshotx2

Level 2 Member
Head to Ann Arbor it's worth the drive this time of year. Main street is all decked out.
Flying to the D this week, and staying in A2 for the holidays.
See a RedWings hockey game and head to any of the great Coney Island Restaurants.

MotownMan

Level 2 Member
There is also a bar and high end restaurant at the very top of the Renaissance Center, the tallest building in Detroit and complex that houses GM's HQ, Marriott, and lots of offices. I definitely recommend people to go up there and grab a drink at the bar (no strict dress code- its separate from the main dining area), or a meal if you like fine dining. Awesome food, but pricey. Went once on a friend's dime. Great city views and a cool exterior elevator ride.

http://www.gmrencen.com/images/modern/homepage/home1.jpg

http://www.coachinsigniadetroit.com

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Boston is a cool town. I wish I had more time but did enjoy the time I was there. Weather sucked. It was very cold. And after saying that I'm still going to Detroit in December. Someone smack me on the back of my head please.
Totally unrelated to Detroit, but...go back to Boston in the late spring. Rent a bike, and bike the Freedom trail. It's amazing, and you get to maneuver around the traffic jams.

kenshotx2

Level 2 Member
In Boston take the Water Taxi - It is cheap and you get to see lots of the city from a perspective few get too.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. The trip was good. We went to the Downtown, "saw" canada (did not think about getting our passports), went to Ann Arbor, Ford factory and a few other places. There were so many places to eat that I need a few more days there.