Cutting the cord update

M

Matt

We cut the cord on cable TV sometime around January 2013. When we did we replaced $129 per month service with a $55 internet only package, and since moving to a new area we are now on a $45 internet only package. We added a digital antenna, which worked really well in Brooklyn, but might not be so effective here in the boonies; a subscription to Hulu Plus for $7.99 per month, and a lifetime subscription ($40) to a service called PlayOn.

Playon I haven’t even bothered looking at for a year, as it was really pretty crap, Hulu Plus seems OK but I don’t know with any certainty that it is worth it over the regular, free version of Hulu. There really are so many different solutions out there now that it is mindblowing – from big firms like Netflix and Amazon Prime, to smaller players like Moho Leaf, MythTV, PlexTV etc. (more…)

Continue reading...

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
We cut the cord on cable TV sometime around January 2013. When we did we replaced $129 per month service with a $55 internet only package, and since moving to a new area we are now on a $45 internet only package. We added a digital antenna, which worked really well in Brooklyn, but might not be so effective here in the boonies; a subscription to Hulu Plus for $7.99 per month, and a lifetime subscription ($40) to a service called PlayOn.

Playon I haven’t even bothered looking at for a year, as it was really pretty crap, Hulu Plus seems OK but I don’t know with any certainty that it is worth it over the regular, free version of Hulu. There really are so many different solutions out there now that it is mindblowing – from big firms like Netflix and Amazon Prime, to smaller players like Moho Leaf, MythTV, PlexTV etc. (more…)

Continue reading...
We did the same thing. Don't know if you've seen the excellent Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on the Crackle channel, it's Jerry Seinfeld's little vanity project and it's hilarious.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We did the same thing. Don't know if you've seen the excellent Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on the Crackle channel, it's Jerry Seinfeld's little vanity project and it's hilarious.
Nope - but will check it out between screaming baby and cooking dinner sometime!