Credit Monitoring Service

sriki

Level 2 Member
What are the best options for credit score and report monitoring? I haven't been tracking them as much I should and thinking about doing it going forward. Any suggestions (based on personal experience) are welcome.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
problem is that it only checks transunion which doesn't really help in an experian heavy place like ny

Anh

Level 2 Member
This should help with Equifax: https://homedepot.allclearid.com/ (Legally and Ethically, you must have swiped your card at Home Depot sometimes between April and September).
Similarly, a few months ago Target did have the free credit monitoring (Experian)

Other than that, i don't think there's any free credit monitoring for EX/EQ.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
The best are the ones you pay for.

EliminateID Theft
CreditCheck Monitoring Premium (if you have USAA)

There are some others.

imMia430

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter
Barclay provides free Fico score if you have one of their credit cards (affiliated links here ;) ) If you go with Citibank monitoring, google the link with employee rate, it should be 4.95 per month. They update monthly but the reports include all 3 credit reporting agencies.

PNW-MSSER

Level 2 Member
I currently have Michael's and Target's free monitoring. The AllClear service by Michael's is poor, they didnt even alert me on 2 new cards I opened. ProtectMyId is pretty sweet, they send a SMS and email the next day. So if I had to pay for a service, it would probably be ProtectMyId. But I see CreditKarma, CreditSesame, Credit.com and Quizzle together make a pretty sweet combo.

JOHN Hansen

Level 2 Member
Everyone should have the Barclay Arrival card since they have the big bonus, as well as your free FICO score.
Can't complain about the 2% credited to travel charges either.

DebentureBoy

Level 2 Member
I use myfico.com using the three credit program. It is a bit slow to load screens but very useful in getting the full picture of my credit situation. The annual fee is just the cost of doing business in my opinion. I'm very satisfied with it.

StaticCharge

The best are the ones you pay for.
CreditCheck Monitoring Premium (if you have USAA)
Is this a good value @ around $12/mo? There seems to be a huge range in what these services offer: for example, the USAA one has all 3 reports & scores, but the reports are only updated once a month. Useful, but far from a real time service. Also unknown is if the scores offered are true or fako.

William Charles

Quizzle - Equifax
Credit Sesame - Experian
Credit Karma - TransUnion

Wisepiggy is also TransUnion and Credit.com is Experian. Absolutely no need to pay for credit monitoring anymore unless you're trying to B*.

If you want an actual FICO score and not the FAKO (usually VantageScores) that these services provide, then chances are at least one of the card issuers you have credit cards with now offers this through the FICO open access program (e.g Discover, Barclay, FNBO, Walmart and soon Citi).

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Is this a good value @ around $12/mo? There seems to be a huge range in what these services offer: for example, the USAA one has all 3 reports & scores, but the reports are only updated once a month. Useful, but far from a real time service. Also unknown is if the scores offered are true or fako.
IIRC. There is a "premium" service offered when you try to update after 24 hours.

Weezl

Level 2 Member
Data Point:
Refinancing the home one more time. FICO scores cam back mid 7's, way down from last refi a year ago 790's-800's. Was not MS'ing then. Suspect my credit ute (went over 50% on the INK a few times--oops) and the # of cards (8) opened in the last few months has a little to do with it--doh! Lender could care less, apparently.

So Barclay just emailed me with a FICO update. My score is now 810's. This flies in the face of the actual scores provided by the 3 biggies. How can it be that far off? Many are reporting close correlations with their Barclay scores and the big 3, but this is way off in my case. Barclays is not to be trusted IMHO.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
Data Point:
Refinancing the home one more time. FICO scores cam back mid 7's, way down from last refi a year ago 790's-800's. Was not MS'ing then. Suspect my credit ute (went over 50% on the INK a few times--oops) and the # of cards (8) opened in the last few months has a little to do with it--doh! Lender could care less, apparently.
That shouldn't matter. Credit on business card does not affect your credit

William Charles

Data Point:

So Barclay just emailed me with a FICO update. My score is now 810's. This flies in the face of the actual scores provided by the 3 biggies. How can it be that far off? Many are reporting close correlations with their Barclay scores and the big 3, but this is way off in my case. Barclays is not to be trusted IMHO.
Generally as long as your score is above 760 you'll get the best rates from lenders, so in your case it really shouldn't matter. I think the amount of recent cards you have opened has a lot to do with it, 8 cards recently opened would cause your score to drop by about 40 points, while utilization on your business credit card shouldn't be reported your personal credit report.

I also suspect your comparing your FICO TransUnion 2008 classic model (provided by Barclaycard) with Mortgage enhanced scores from your lender. Of course they are going to be different. Barclaycard is fine, it's a real FICO score but it's a classic score and not industry specific. In this case it gave you the right information (you had nothing to worry about because you had good credit).

Try not to worry about small swings so much.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Keep in mind that the REAL FICO is a money making operation, and one way that they make even more money is to have separate scores for different markets. So, your car insurance FICO will be somewhat different from your credit card FICO which is, in turn, different from your mortgage FICO.

Of course, the scores you get from both CC banks and the free sites like creditkarma are the CC scores.

DevonLouisville

Level 2 Member
I think people in different places have different bureaus for Credit Sesame and Credit Karma. Mine look like this:

Credit Sesame: Transunion
Credit Karma: Transunion and Equifax
Quizzle: Experian

While the free ones are great, I loved the convenience and layout of the site of Citi Credit Monitoring. I had it at $4.95 per month for many, many years until it closed earlier this year. I've not found one I like enough(or that's a low enough price) to pay for yet since I lost Citi.

DevonLouisville

Level 2 Member
So I looked at Quizzle wrong, mine is Equifax too. Which means I have no way of seeing my Experian for free unless someone else knows a way?