Citi improving protection benefits‏

Benqzh

Level 2 Member
I received an email from Citi AAdvantage Card this morning saying:

We have some news to share: Effective May 15, 2016 the protection benefits that come with your card will be changing to a new provider.

You will continue to receive the protection, savings and peace of mind you've come to expect from your existing protection benefits, but we will also be adding improvements, such as:
Greater coverage
Fewer exclusions
More flexibility
Your card's protection benefit provider is changing effective May 15, 2016.

See your Guide to Protection Benefits to learn more, including important benefit information you should be aware of, such as coverage details, What's Not Covered and coverage amounts.

Please note: There won't be a lapse in your coverage.

link: http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide8.pdf

I haven't go through all the details, but I noticed one big change.
Right now, if you want to get travel protection like trip/baggage delay, the requirement is that:
The trip was paid for in full including taxes and fees with your Citi card
The new policy says that:
Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card
must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Trip. In the
event of partial payment, we will only reimburse the lesser of
the actual amount paid for with your Citi card or the maximum
coverage per Trip.
Trip Delay Protection
To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card must be
used to purchase at least a portion of the Common Carrier fare.
In the part of Trip Delay Protection & Baggage Delay/Lost Protection, Citi doesn't mention what is the maximum amount in the event of partial payment. But at least we can get something when we book the award trip. Let's wait and see.

I also have citi att & prestige. Thought I didn't get any notice of those cards, I tried to modify the link and found the new policy of prestige: http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide11.pdf
You may try to see the policy of other cards if you like to.

Last edited:

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I'm actually going through this process on SW tickets via Prestige. Because SW has vouchers good for a year it will be Jan before we get reimbursed. Had to fax copies of reservation, note from Dr. regarding hub's surgery, unable to travel, etc. I wasn't sure if the claim would be transferred to the new company or remain with current. I was told current company would be following through.