Citi Dividend

Sesq

Level 2 Member
I have this card too. Honestly I'd love to just cancel it, but it was my first and by far my oldest card. I'm afraid that my credit score will take a big hit if I get rid of it. Otherwise I don't have much use for it.
Q1 has been drugstores the last few years. They allow $6k per year of bonus spend per calendar year (instead of 1.5k per quarter). I love my dividend cards.

Anh

Level 2 Member
Some people on FT have reported success converting this card to the Citi Double Cash. If people are thinking about getting the Double Cash and happen to have a Dividend card laying around, this might be a good option

imMia430

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter
Some people on FT have reported success converting this card to the Citi Double Cash. If people are thinking about getting the Double Cash and happen to have a Dividend card laying around, this might be a good option
Waiting for double cash to have a sign-up bonus :)

Nina

Level 2 Member
The 2015 cashback calendar just came out:
1Q Macys, Furnishing Stores
2Q Home and Garden stores
3Q Hotels and Airlines
4Q Best Buy, Department Stores

NO pharmacy spending:(

rsvp

X Marks The Spot
Quarterly categories announced. Drugstores are missing, so may be a good time to convert the card to double CB unless there's a sign up offer available.

JAN – MAR
Macy's
Home Furnishing Stores

APR – JUN
THE HOME DEPOT
Home & Garden Stores

JUL – SEP
Hilton
Airlines

OCT – DEC
BEST BUY®
Department Stores

Last edited:

PointsMahalo

Level 2 Member
Drugstores are missing, so many be a good time for me to convert the card to double CB unless there's a sign up offer available.
Just so you know - I've asked phone reps twice to convert my Dividend card to the double CB and been denied both times so far. The first time they told me that my dividend card isn't old enough and this most recent time no reason was given.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Very weak categories. My original plan was to hope for drugstores or gas stations in Q1, get the $300, then convert. Rethinking this.

projectx

Level 2 Member
The ONLY reasons I still have this card is that it's my first ever CC, and the usual pharmacy bonus. Now that's gone. Sounds like I need to look at converting to the Double Cash and stick that in my sock drawer.

T.L.M. Hax

Level 2 Member
I have two cards which worked out great last year. Not sure what I will do with these cards this year. I might cancel to open up credit for new citi cards, on the other hand, it may be worth it to keep them since they are no fee cards.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Up through 2014, I got 5 percent for my health club - prepaid annually, plus this is one of my oldest cards so it helped with my credit score. Unfortunately, the 2015 categories don't look so good.

jjangoo

Level 2 Member
I might cancel to open up credit for new citi cards, on the other hand, it may be worth it to keep them since they are no fee cards.
Convert instead. They're very flexible if you've had them longer than a year. At least in my experience anyway.

smittytabb

Staff member
Up through 2014, I got 5 percent for my health club - prepaid annually, plus this is one of my oldest cards so it helped with my credit score. Unfortunately, the 2015 categories don't look so good.
Just switched a AA Gold MC to this and I too am disappointed by the 2015 categories. Trying to make the entire $300 CB is not too challenging this month with Best Buy, but surely there are some strategies with one of the quarters next year. Drug store, of course, is a loss:)

Sesq

Level 2 Member
I have two Dividends and was planning to convert my AA Exec's to the flock once they hit the year mark. Looks like I will flip an AA Exec to Double Cash and close the others. For now my plan will be to hit BB in Q4 with my existing lines unless a play emerges in the others. I think Freedom Q1 has Grocery again, so that will be easy.

bermudajenkins

Level 2 Member
I converted to the Dividend from a useless Diamond Preferred a couple of months back. Think this Dividend account now counts as less than a year old? ...any idea if it can be converted again so soon? Either way I'll give it a shot.

Zooter

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter
Requested a conversion of my AAdvantage card to a Dividend at the end of Sept and was surprised when they said I wouldn't get my new card until the 2nd week in November. Well, I finally got it but with these new categories I'm better off with the Doublecash.

I just called Citi last night and they were able to do the conversion. I was nervous about it because while the AA card was a year old, the Dividend card was brand new. I just played dumb saying that I mixed up the name Dividend and Doublecash. New card should arrive in the next week or two.

bermudajenkins

Level 2 Member
Requested a conversion of my AAdvantage card to a Dividend at the end of Sept and was surprised when they said I wouldn't get my new card until the 2nd week in November. Well, I finally got it but with these new categories I'm better off with the Doublecash.

I just called Citi last night and they were able to do the conversion. I was nervous about it because while the AA card was a year old, the Dividend card was brand new. I just played dumb saying that I mixed up the name Dividend and Doublecash. New card should arrive in the next week or two.
Yup, did the same as you...converted a couple of months back to the Dividend and waited for it for two months. Wished I'd gone to a Double Cash instead after seeing the categories. So went for it and called to attempt a second conversion. The rep says no problem...even seemed eager to do it. Entire phone call took less than 4 minutes. Was told I'll receive in 10-14 days this time. Win!

FWIW, the original account I PC'd from to the Dividend was a card I'd had for six years.

smittytabb

Staff member
Really hope someone knows the answer to this question. Converted an old Citi AA Gold card to Citi Dividend last month. So my question is can you earn the entire max $300 cash back for the year in one quarter? If I spend 6K this month in one of the bonused categories for the quarter, will I get the entire $300 back or is it capped per quarter like Discover? Don't want to do a bunch of spend if I cannot get the entire CB for sure. Thanks!

Tim R

Level 2 Member
Really hope someone knows the answer to this question. Converted an old Citi AA Gold card to Citi Dividend last month. So my question is can you earn the entire max $300 cash back for the year in one quarter? If I spend 6K this month in one of the bonused categories for the quarter, will I get the entire $300 back or is it capped per quarter like Discover? Don't want to do a bunch of spend if I cannot get the entire CB for sure. Thanks!
Yup, you can get all $300 in one quarter. I product-changed an old Citi card into my Citi Dividend back in April....I didn't hit any of the categories at all until Q4 and now I am BestBuying my way to $300 cash back.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yup, you can get all $300 in one quarter. I product-changed an old Citi card into my Citi Dividend back in April....I didn't hit any of the categories at all until Q4 and now I am BestBuying my way to $300 cash back.
Just finished BestBuying my way to $300 cash back last night. Thanks Citi Dividend! Now need to finish my AmexEveryDay grocery spend for the year, yet another 6K to finish. Anyone else working on a bonus as the days of the year wane?

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I can't wait to get my Citi Dividend card! I'm almost tempted to just sign up for a TYP card, transfer my TYP to KrisFlyer, and convert to a Dividend and maybe avoid paying the annual fee. Would keep average age down + 5% up to $300 is nice

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you could only convert to another card after having it for a year?
I haven't seen a full definition of it, but I think it's close to 1 year. I want to get another dividend card ASAP before you can't even "downgrade" to it. 5% is quite lucrative even if it is capped @ 6k

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I haven't seen a full definition of it, but I think it's close to 1 year. I want to get another dividend card ASAP before you can't even "downgrade" to it. 5% is quite lucrative even if it is capped @ 6k
Completely agree about the 5% @ 6k. In the same vein, I've seen a lot of people discounting the Freedom thinking the cap is low but it's extremely efficient MS & if you have multiple cards from downgrades & such, it's really awesome.

It's unfortunate I won't have any Citi cards even close to a year old to downgrade.

Pat

Silver Member
Just an update. I have done a conversion to Citi Dividend successfully today. It should not be too hard to get some good cash back in Q4.

Pat

Silver Member
I have called the rep today, and she says that the product conversion is not allowed in the system until 1-year mark is hit.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
I have called the rep today, and she says that the product conversion is not allowed in the system until 1-year mark is hit.
Thanks - hopefully it'll be around another year. I really want more than 1 Dividend card, like badly.

I have these 5x cards:
1 Discover
2 Chase Freedoms
1 US Bank Cash+
soon to have Citi Dividend

I could earn 5x on 32k worth of spend and feel good about it

Pat

Silver Member
Thanks - hopefully it'll be around another year. I really want more than 1 Dividend card, like badly.

I have these 5x cards:
1 Discover
2 Chase Freedoms
1 US Bank Cash+
soon to have Citi Dividend

I could earn 5x on 32k worth of spend and feel good about it
There are at least 2 good quarters for Chase Freedom this year. :)

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Isn't there usually 2 quarters per year of gas purchases at 5x for Freedom? That's pretty easy $1500 of gift cards per quarter!

calwatch

Level 2 Member
Check your mail because you may get random additional categories during the year. Last year for instance I got a 5% additional category of grocery stores - of course I had maxed out most of my $300 during the first quarter of 2014, but I did use the category bonus to buy a few extra Arco gift cards to max out the remainder.