Citi AA Exec downgrade strategy

Andy

Level 2 Member
My Citi AA Exec AF hits in March, so I've been trying to come up with a strategy how to play it. Obviously I'm going to ask for a retention offer, but barring something that knocks my socks off, I'm going to downgrade. The question is - what to downgrade to?

Deals we like had an article today on cancelling her Citi AA Exec, or possibly downgrading it. She said that she was thinking of downgrading to the Citi Expedia+ Voyager, which has a $95 annual fee, but also a $100 airline credit. Does anyone have this card? Is being Expedia+ Gold worth it? Do airline gift cards count towards the $100 credit?

Also, I was wondering if, should I downgrade to the Citi Hilton Reserve, would I get the two free nights after $2500 in spend, or is that only with a new application?

Anybody have any better ideas?

smittytabb

Staff member
My Citi AA Exec AF hits in March, so I've been trying to come up with a strategy how to play it. Obviously I'm going to ask for a retention offer, but barring something that knocks my socks off, I'm going to downgrade. The question is - what to downgrade to?

Deals we like had an article today on cancelling her Citi AA Exec, or possibly downgrading it. She said that she was thinking of downgrading to the Citi Expedia+ Voyager, which has a $95 annual fee, but also a $100 airline credit. Does anyone have this card? Is being Expedia+ Gold worth it? Do airline gift cards count towards the $100 credit?

Also, I was wondering if, should I downgrade to the Citi Hilton Reserve, would I get the two free nights after $2500 in spend, or is that only with a new application?

Anybody have any better ideas?
No sign up bonus if you downgrade. Citi Expedia+Voyager - never heard of it. My most recent downgrade was to Citi Dividend for the 5% cash back categories. Several on this forum are waiting to downgrade to the Citi Double Cash.

sound48

Level 2 Member
No sign up bonus if you downgrade. Citi Expedia+Voyager - never heard of it. My most recent downgrade was to Citi Dividend for the 5% cash back categories. Several on this forum are waiting to downgrade to the Citi Double Cash.
I was probably going to downgrade to double cash as well. I'm going to do the 40k spend though to get the 10k EQMs to help for status first though.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Consider the Citi Dividend. 5X TYP on rotating quarterly categories, up to $6000/year. Better than the Freedom, you can max out the $6000 on grocery spend when it comes up.

skydancer

Level 2 Member
I downgraded a Citi AA to a Citi Double Cash last week. I had tried to do so some months back and was told it was not an option. But on this call it was allowed. I also have a Citi AA Exec I'm looking to downgrade. Might try for the Citi Dividend...

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
Consider the Citi Dividend. 5X TYP on rotating quarterly categories, up to $6000/year. Better than the Freedom, you can max out the $6000 on grocery spend when it comes up.
Does the Citi Dividend earn ThankYou points?

In looking around a bit I don't see active applications for it, and it appears to be strictly a cashback card.
If it does earn ThankYou points I'd be interested in it. Less so if it's "just" cashback.
Thanks in advance for pointers on this.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
Does the Citi Dividend earn ThankYou points?

In looking around a bit I don't see active applications for it, and it appears to be strictly a cashback card.
If it does earn ThankYou points I'd be interested in it. Less so if it's "just" cashback.
Thanks in advance for pointers on this.
Sorry, I keep forgetting it's only a CB card. But $300 of CB is better than a stick in the eye. I'd be downgrading ever Citi card I ever got to Dividend, if Execs weren't the only thing I ever got from Citi and I hadn't closed all but one before the AF hit. I wonder if you can downgrade the Citi Hilton to Dividend ...

Andy

Level 2 Member
I'm intrigued enough about the $100 airline reimbursement on the Expedia+ Voyager, that I might just try it for a year and see if airline GCs work towards the credit. If not, I'm just going to order a LOT of scotch on my next flight!

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I'd like to downgrade my AA Plat to Citi Dividend. I got the card in mid-December. How soon do you think I could push it?

Andy

Level 2 Member
I'd like to downgrade my AA Plat to Citi Dividend. I got the card in mid-December. How soon do you think I could push it?
Is it possible to have more than one AA Platinum at a time? I have one now, and just got approved for a Citibusiness 50k, but would love another easy 50k AA miles afterwards.

smittytabb

Staff member
Is it possible to have more than one AA Platinum at a time? I have one now, and just got approved for a Citibusiness 50k, but would love another easy 50k AA miles afterwards.
Well, I have a Citi Platinum Visa, MC & Amex all at the same time. You might ask why. The Citi MC is my oldest CC. The Amex I got with no annual fee. The Visa I got a retention offer where if I spend 1k a month for 16 mos. and I get double miles for the spend. So I run it through A4T every month and get some free miles easy peasy. I also have the Citi Exec MC and the Citi Hilton Reserve.

Jaime

Level 2 Member
Is it possible to get the $200 credit statement and cancel to get the $450 fee back...my fee just posted. I will definitely cancel/downgrade.

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
I called to cancel my 1 year-old AA Exec. I just met min spend on it then stopped using it.
Retention offer was the typical 16 months of 1K bonus for each $1K spent.

I did a product change to the Citi Dividend with 5% cashback in rotating categories.
The csr also offered the 2% cashback card.

Thanks for the tip on the Dividend card @El Ingeniero!

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
My plan too is to downgrade to the Cii Dividend. Spent some more $$ on the Exec but no statement credit despite the rumors that some were getting it a second time. AF should hit on the next statement.

I've got a few Citi AA cards that got the $1000/month for 16 month offer and my RBs make that easy, but I think I'd rather have the rotating 5% categories at this point.

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
How many Dividend cards can one have?

When I spoke to the CSR, they said I'd have to wait until the anniversary date to even see if a product change was available from my Citi AA Exec. This means that I will have to wait till the annual fee hits. Sucks

Last edited:

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Seems like the AF hits in the 13th statement, so you should be able to get past the 365 days required by the CARD Act for product changes. You then have, IIRC, Statement date +37 days to get fee refunded. Citi's policy is to clear a waiting period of 51 days for product changes. So there is a tight window after day 365 to make the change and not have to pay the AF.

I have two cards in the process of conversion. One will become my third dividend card. The other, with my highest credit line, will become a double cash card. I believe I hit the second card right and I need to do the math whether my dividend conversion will work once the statement date hits. The good part is during the required disclosure Citi will tell you the precise day the conversion will be complete. If I missed the window I will just close the first card and wait to convert one of my other two AA Exec's to Dividend.

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
Seems like the AF hits in the 13th statement, so you should be able to get past the 365 days required by the CARD Act for product changes. You then have, IIRC, Statement date +37 days to get fee refunded. Citi's policy is to clear a waiting period of 51 days for product changes. So there is a tight window after day 365 to make the change and not have to pay the AF.

I have two cards in the process of conversion. One will become my third dividend card. The other, with my highest credit line, will become a double cash card. I believe I hit the second card right and I need to do the math whether my dividend conversion will work once the statement date hits. The good part is during the required disclosure Citi will tell you the precise day the conversion will be complete. If I missed the window I will just close the first card and wait to convert one of my other two AA Exec's to Dividend.
When I spoke to a customer representative yesterday, he told me that once the conversion process has started, there's no way you will be billed...in fact, you can ask for a refund.

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
I was probably going to downgrade to double cash as well. I'm going to do the 40k spend though to get the 10k EQMs to help for status first though.
When you guys changed to the double cash did you receive the 0% APR for 15 months promo? PC would be optimal since I have 2 execs coming up on annual fees, but I am seriously considering applying for this card outright just for that promo for investment reasons.

How many Dividend cards can one have?

When I spoke to the CSR, they said I'd have to wait until the anniversary date to even see if a product change was available from my Citi AA Exec. This means that I will have to wait till the annual fee hits. Sucks
Also happened to me.

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
When you guys changed to the double cash did you receive the 0% APR for 15 months promo? PC would be optimal since I have 2 execs coming up on annual fees, but I am seriously considering applying for this card outright just for that promo for investment reasons.
I didn't change to doublecash...I decided to just cancel and reapply after 65 days

sound48

Level 2 Member
This was never really answered that I can remember. Does spend from a cancelled card count towards the EQM bonus? I have 2 cards and was going to downgrade one this month since the AF just hit. Trying to figure out how much I need to spend on the 2nd card to get the EQM bonus before I cancel that one as well.

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
This was never really answered that I can remember. Does spend from a cancelled card count towards the EQM bonus? I have 2 cards and was going to downgrade one this month since the AF just hit. Trying to figure out how much I need to spend on the 2nd card to get the EQM bonus before I cancel that one as well.
Going to say yes based on various points I read on FT. All the points post to the same AA# (assuming they are all yours). Once they leave Citi there is no distinguishment on what card they came from.

ninjaFred

Level 2 Member
I plan to "downgrade" to the Prestige, which has a ton of benefits (including American lounge access). Yes, I realize the card has a huge annual fee. Yes, I realize I will forgo the signup bonus. As far as the annual fee, I plan to offset with 2x $250 airline credits (one in 2015 and another in 2016). As far as signups, I'd rather use that inquiry for any number of better signup opportunities, Citi or otherwise. I plan to call the day after my anniversary date, so before the Exec annual fee hits.

Jeff

Level 2 Member
I just canceled my AA Exec today (my fee posted about 25 days ago) and received the full $45o refund. The Citi rep told me there is no interest charge on the fee for those days so I closed to a $0 balance. My retention offer was 15,000 miles with $5K spend. Still with the $450 it didn't seem worth it so I declined. Does it make sense to downgrade when you can get more points by canceling and signing up for a different card? Even the Citi gold AA has a 25K bonus and the fee is much less than $450. Also, my credit limit was $20.5K on this card which at first I thought I should keep but then read a blog that said the ratio of credit limit to balance is more important to keep low than the overall credit limit to maintain a good FICO score. Is there any good reason to downgrade vs. cancel?

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
I helped a family member signup for the 100k offer. The annual fee recently hit, I then called in to have them product change to the citi dividend card. There was no issue in doing this, and the fee was refunded. This way the average age of accounts will grow, as this card has no fee and will realistically never be cancelled. Additionally, there will be some lucrative 5% categories for them. I thought it was a win-win situation, get that signup a year ago, and get paid to do so, then product change, keep the account open and get another card with rotating 5%.

Also, via secure message, Citi alerted me that the account type will change over in one month. So it seems that the card should still work to access the Admirals club in that time without having to pay the fee.

huntdealz123

Level 2 Member
Slightly off topic - Had to make an unexpected trip and forgot my Executive card at home. Any way to be able to get into the Admirals Club (JFK) without the card? Do the agents have a way to verify membership without the physical card being present?

littlenemo

Laughing Coffin Member
Slightly off topic - Had to make an unexpected trip and forgot my Executive card at home. Any way to be able to get into the Admirals Club (JFK) without the card? Do the agents have a way to verify membership without the physical card being present?
Just give them your FF #.

pier11

Level 2 Member
W(ant): DCB with large credit line.
(W2: avoid AF for AA Plat.)

H(ave)1: AA Plat, 6k CL, anniversary beginning of April.
(H2: TYP (with some balance of points), 1.5k CL)

Q: ask CL increase for AA Plat right now. Wait the anniversary (to be able to convert?). Then request conversion soon after.

Is it the best course of action for me? Thanks!