Chicago to South Africa

Tom Juhn

Level 2 Member
I was researching a trip to South Africa from Chicago. I ran a search on ITA and found Emirates to be the best airline. I have UR points, MR points, Hilton and SPG and a few others that they list as partners. My question is what is the process to converting these points/miles to Emirates? What if I convert them and the flights end up being taken? Thanks for any help.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If you want to get there in style, it's hard to beat CX F USA-HKG (optional stopover there), then CX J HKG-JNB (they no longer serve F to SA), all for the low price of 70K AS (transferrable from SPG).

AS also partners with Emirates (EK), though the rate to Africa is higher @ 100k for F, and there have been problems booking those (F). You could fly J for 77.5k.

EK's own award chart tends to be overpriced, though I haven't checked their rate to Africa. They also levy fuel surcharges, so I would look elsewhere for redemption.

Star Alliance has multiple African carriers, so that's another place to look.

What if I convert them and the flights end up being taken?
Then you're stuck with a bunch of miles in that program. It's a risk, and it would be good to have a backup plan (e.g. what else can you use the miles for)

smittytabb

Staff member
Just found a creative way to get from Chicago to South Africa. Use Aeroplan miles to book ORD✈GRU✈JNB✈CPT each way all in Business for 75K miles and only $18.20.