Check your Zidisha accounts for auto lending…

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Zidisha is a microlending site that connect borrowers in impoverished countries with lenders in peer to peer model. It differs from Kiva in that it doesn’t charge high field partner loan rates, and also passes an interest rate back to the lender.

I’ve written about them twice, first as an intro, and then as a follow up:

These posts have been around for a while, yet are getting new comments from people who are disgruntled by the policy changes of Zidisha. The latest one, that I was alerted to via these comments is that they will auto lend if you haven’t funded a loan in 60 days.

In fairness, when I checked my inbox Zidisha did announce this also, but it was one of those ‘Important, Terms and Conditions Change’ emails that I tend to blank out….

My Account is locked out

Zidisha has made 18 loans on my behalf, that I just learned about today writing this post. What’s more, I can’t stop the auto lending! In order to change settings to my account I have two options:

• Make a loan (pretty hard when they have loaned out all my money)
  • Make a withdrawal
So I did the latter. I withdrew the remaining balance of $8.30 before they relend it. Apparently this will allow me to make my own lending decisions again. Unless I forget to pull it out again every 60 days I guess… a very uncomfortable feeling.

I can see why Zidisha wanted to use this dormant money, but in my case (and in the case of many others) we feel that the human factor behind P2P lending is finding and helping others. In my experience I had not loaned any more funds after the initial ones were so bad. But then one day a borrower from a third world country called me out on Twitter asking for help to build a business, and linked to his loan on Zidisha, so I dived back in.

Not all charities allow for such a choice, so I know you could easily donate $100 or so a year and never know what it is used for, but the essence of a micro-loan site that focuses on peer to peer lending is clearly missing from this new approach.

I’m pulling all my money out.

The post Check your Zidisha accounts for auto lending… appeared first on Saverocity Finance.

Continue reading...