Cathay Birthday Upgrade - Advice?

thatrik

Level 2 Member
Hi Team:

Am flying HKG-YVR. Usually I use points to fly business on CX, but there was no availability, so I booked a cash ticket in the back. I figured I might as well book on my birthday, since even if the chances are slim, it would surely maximize chances of upgrade (I could at least "beg them" to let me upgrade using points).

I then stumbled upon this blog (see #4) after I already booked my ticket, which says that it is CX policy to upgrade Marco Polo Silver+ members on their birthdays. I immediately renewed my (lapsed) A Small World membership to request my one-time upgrade to Marco Polo Silver, which was processed in 3 days.

Question: Does anybody know if this remains the policy or have any experience with it? If so, will my "travel companion" (girlfriend, not spouse...) be eligible too?

I assume this is all very subjective and obviously depends on capacity and demeanor of agent, as well as Golds and Diamonds in front of me, but any insight would be much appreciated (i.e., better to check in early or late, etc.).