Car Rental in Puerto Rico

Dwater

Level 2 Member
Taking a cruise in March/ early April with 3 after to explore PR...... I haven't rented a car in years so any advice on renting locally......any credit card tricks to get any discounts?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If you have a card that gives better payout for travel expenses, use that. I booked our car in Jamaica through Avis, using the Arrival+. Went through GivingAssistant to book, and it will pay out as soon as the charge clears. It's usually 4%, but I happened to get in on a double day, so it'll be 8%, on top of the 2% from Arrival, which can be used to pay for it, too.

Pat

Silver Member
Agree with MickiSue that your credit card rewards would help extra cash back. I have been there a few years ago, and I rent from Charlie car rental (local operator). Okay experience but I have used United explorer card at that time for better coverage.

One thing to be aware of is to watch out for all those potholes there. Roads are not good in Puerto Rico at all.

Ashish Bhatia

Level 2 Member
In some of these remote places. Local renters (via CraigsList or Turo) are much cheaper. I got an awesome Jeep in Puerto Rico last year via someone I found on CraigsList. It was much cheaper than the rentals. You won't get 4-5% cash back but can save 40-50% easily.

vinyalwhl

Level 7 Panda Tamer and All-round Good Guy
Agree with MickiSue that your credit card rewards would help extra cash back. I have been there a few years ago, and I rent from Charlie car rental (local operator). Okay experience but I have used United explorer card at that time for better coverage.

One thing to be aware of is to watch out for all those potholes there. Roads are not good in Puerto Rico at all.
I agree if you plan on going to El Yunque, I would avoid a compact but nothing too big as the roads are rather tight at spots.