Cali to Athens

Laura

Level 2 Member
# of Travelers: 1 Adult

UA Miles: 337,607
(I have SW, UA, AS, etc miles but am trying to use up some of my UA miles)

Outbound: Anywhere in CA but my base is Fresno (FAT). LAX/SNA/BUR is 2.5 to 3 hours away but ok. SFO/OAK is 3 hours away but ok.

Outbound flight: coach ok for anywhere in continental US.

Oversees: Prefer business or first class, depending on saver redemption and airline options

Destination: ATH

Dates: Depart Sat 10/1/16 and return Sun 10/9/16

I am seeing saver awards available... UA, Austrian, Lufthansa, and Turkish Air...

Need help deciding which is the best product to fly...

Also, should I transit through IST on outbound or return and have a couple hour layover, is the airport 'safe' considering what has happened recently?

Thanks for your help!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Have you looked on seatguru.com for information about the seats in J on the different airplanes flown by the different airlines?

For example, you find which plane flies the transAtlantic portion on UA, then go to seatguru, look up the seats there, and you'll have a better idea of what the hardware will be. Repeat for the other flights with the other airlines.

Next, you can check for reviews of that product. So: " UA 787 business class JFK-ATH reviews". You'll get the information from people who already have flown that product.

As for IST. For me, I would hold off on that. I mentioned this in a different thread. My youngest flew through IST, to and from meeting his first nephew in VCE territory. Spent the night on the inbound and the outbound. He made friends, and got asked, a few months ago, to DJ there this month. The club was going to pay his airfare.

After a lone gunman shot up a bookstore where there were serving wine at a book opening during Ramadan, they told him not to come. It wasn't just the coup attempt. There is a bigger element of radicalism than used to be true.

Laura

Level 2 Member
I think I agree MickiSue on avoiding IST even though it would save me 6+ hours by having this more direct route. I have been trying to find a route from US to Europe then piece together the final destination and departure... I have been using ANA for Brussels, UA site for LH, TK, UA etc.

I use seatguru but the reviews there especially for business aren't great on any of the configurations I have found yet... Some have 180 degree decline with cramped foot wells or some have flat beds. I have read some reviews of these flights as well.

I think I am looking at a business redemption since I don't think the first redemptions I have found so far are worth burning my miles for...

I'm curious for those that travel internationally in Business, which airline and product they think is some of the best... that of course are partners with UA.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I have no opinion on UA or its partners, because I've not flown them. But keep in mind, that if, like me, you are around 5'5" tall, the "cramped foot wells" won't be as big an issue as if you are around 6'5".

Also, unless you have flown international J enough to notice the subtle differences between carriers, you'll probably just be happy to have a bed that you can lie in, a flight attendant that isn't harried to help you out, and food that's, if not Michelin quality, at least edible. Compared to the frankenfood in the back of the plane...there IS no comparison.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
We each have our own tolerance for risk. From everything I have read, the IST airport is very safe for transfers, one of the more safe in the world. The attack that occurred was outside the secured area. I believe one terrorist broke thru and was brought down very quickly by police. Everyone has to make their own decision, but for me, I believe that a transit is a very different thing than actually entering the country. I like the SFO-IST and LAX-IST nonstop flights in business. I don't like flying domestic F for several hours before connecting to the much greater comfort of international biz.

LAX-ARN has some availability on SAS in business class. It's a new product and well respected.

Right now, on Oct 1, I don't see much in choices for business class.
LAX-ATH- coach to IAD, then biz on LH
FAT-ATH - coach only
SFO-ATH - coach to IAD, then biz on LH

SFO-IST - combo of coach to IAH, then biz to IST. If you search separately for IST-ATH, there is an evening flight available.

SNA-IST - coach to ORD, then biz to IST, search separately for IST-ATH as it is available

On Oct 2, I see a combo of Air New Zealand, then Aegean.

Should you choose the UA/LH combo, keep hunting each day for F to IAD. UA unpredictably opens up space as the flight day draws nearer.

Oct 9:
ATH-SFO - TK biz via IST, so it has the IST-SFO nonstop
ATH-LAX - TK biz via IST with IST-LAX nonstop

Last edited:

Chum

Level 2 Member
Question, which would you guys prefer, Air Canada Rouge from YYZ to ATH, or UA from EWR to ATH? (in economy - i don't have enough miles for 3 people to sit on business class).

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
# of Travelers: 1 Adult

Oversees: Prefer business or first class, depending on saver redemption and airline options

Destination: ATH

Dates: Depart Sat 10/1/16 and return Sun 10/9/16

I am seeing saver awards available... UA, Austrian, Lufthansa, and Turkish Air...

Need help deciding which is the best product to fly...

Also, should I transit through IST on outbound or return and have a couple hour layover, is the airport 'safe' considering what has happened recently?

Thanks for your help!
I just got back on Turkish through IST. I flew IST-IAH in Business and was very impressed. The lounge food was exceptional and freshly cooked.The airport felt very normal and safe. US flights are at the far end of the airport with extra security before boarding.

The seat wasn't full flat (168 degrees, I think) but was a day flight so not an issue. I haven't flown Austrian but Turkish would be my first choice for food and the scare has opened availability. There were many empty business flights.

While not a real flight issue, In ATH, get the 30 euro multi site ticket at a less popular site since the ticket line at the Acropolis is very long. Getting the tickets elsewhere can be a real timesaver.