CA to Guadalajara (GDL)

Annie H.

Egalatarian
My brother is getting married in GDL on July 25 when it will be a hundred thousand gazillion degree hot and smog so thick it will kill you AND your mother. He understands how difficult it would be for me and has offered to meet us somewhere else later in the year. Still-- I thought about flying in and surprising him but sheesh-- I'm having so much trouble figuring out the cheapest I can book.

Available: STS (my home airport in Sonoma County) to GDL, or STS to LAX to GDL
SFO or OAK to GDL (SJC is a bit of a push but AS does fly out of there)
Open to flight out of STS w/return to SFO or vice versa

I've just spent a couple hours trying to figure out something affordable and fast-- not interested in red-eyes, etc. One stop only. I know I'm doing it wrong because it's taking way too much time.

Seems to me that Avios are my best bet. I also have AS, UA, AA-- help me please figure out the best way to do this. Eternal thanks.

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
How early can you go? Flights are available on the Tues/Weds before, but I'm guessing you don't want to spend more time in GDL than you have to. Otherwise only redeyes in domestic first/business class...

EDIT: There's also a combination of Alaska/Aeromexico STS-LAX-GDL for 17.5k AS miles. But with a 12-hour layover in LAX, and past-midnight arrival in GDL...

Annie H.

Egalatarian
How early can you go? Flights are available on the Tues/Weds before, but I'm guessing you don't want to spend more time in GDL than you have to. Otherwise only redeyes in domestic first/business class...

EDIT: There's also a combination of Alaska/Aeromexico STS-LAX-GDL for 17.5k AS miles. But with a 12-hour layover in LAX, and past-midnight arrival in GDL...
Thanks, sounds like the flights from hell combined with going to GDL! Family events are scheduled after the wedding so early arrival won't work--wedding actually in Ajijic, reception Lake Chapala but still, Mex in July???? I've pretty much decided not to do it and they're OK with couples' rendezvous somewhere in MEX (SO and I and the happily married couple) later in the year.

taxicabnumber

Level 2 Member
You could also buy the ticket outright on US Airways for $394 RT for pretty much any combination of outbound/return dates, SMF-PHX-GDL (a bit more out of SFO/OAK). I'd think this is a better deal than spending 35k Alaska miles or Avios with a connection since that would be a minimum 29k Avios (the only good Avios deal I'd consider is the SJC-GDL n/s for 20k Avios, and that didn't seem to be available in coach). Have any FlexPoints or Citi TYP?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
You could also buy the ticket outright on US Airways for $394 RT for pretty much any combination of outbound/return dates, SMF-PHX-GDL (a bit more out of SFO/OAK). I'd think this is a better deal than spending 35k Alaska miles or Avios with a connection since that would be a minimum 29k Avios (the only good Avios deal I'd consider is the SJC-GDL n/s for 20k Avios, and that didn't seem to be available in coach). Have any FlexPoints or Citi TYP?
Thanks for keeping trying :). No Flex Points or Citi TYP. This was going to be a better and easier deal when SO and I both were going to go and use a companion pass . I'm not going, don't try to talk me into it;). One thing I found out when doing this research, though, is that Guadalajara is the Silicon Valley of Mexico and so that's why there are more flights to SJC than SFO or OAK-- interesting, eh?

This is first time in my entire life I've not lives less than 30 mins from a major airport and it's a huge PIA. Sonoma Co. airport lengthened its runways recently but still can't get AS to add any more flights nor attract another airline.