Burn or save SPG points?

Panache

Level 2 Member
We're interested in looking to go to Australia in July 2017, looks like ANA has good availability for late June 2017 in Biz class right now, it's only 115 K points and reasonable fuel charge/fees of about USD 220. It does involve routing through Tokyo, but from what I can tell, routing through Asia/Europe is the only way to get an award ticket to Australia for 2 in Business.

We'd have to mix and match Amex and SPG points to get enough. Use up all SPG first or save some? I haven't heard much about the merger/devals of late.

We have 200 K Amex MR between SO (77 K) and me (120 K, (soon to be 196K once my MB Plat bonus posts), but we don't have each other as AU so we each would have to send in miles to separate ANA accounts.

and we also 122 K SPG points.

I was thinking of using up 100 K SPG --> 125 K ANA miles and throw the rest in with Amex. Or save some SPG points?

HariOm

Transcendent Level
from what I can tell, routing through Asia/Europe is the only way to get an award ticket to Australia for 2 in Business.
Starting from where?

Use up all SPG first or save some? I haven't heard much about the merger/devals of late.
Maybe that's some kind of intuitive flash regarding potential deval. For me, SPG are more versatile and I'd be inclined to use up the Amex points first. But I would respect the intuitive flash.

One possibility from the standpoint of convenience might be to use your 196k after the MB bonus posts, then top off with SPG, all into the same ANA account, and that way you'd be on the same ticket. But if time is of the essence maybe no reason to wait.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
For me, SPG are more versatile and I'd be inclined to use up the Amex points first. But I would respect the intuitive flash.
I agree. For me, AMEX points have become less flexible. I used to routinely move them to BA but now they are get .8 Avios per 1 MR. I'd happily deplete my MR account before moving to my SPG account. Be aware that points in ANA accounts expire in 3 years. Only move in what you are confident you will redeem.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I read his post and was interested in his question because I've been wondering the same thing. I LOVE Starwood points. When I started out, I didn't see the big deal. But once I got some and topped off a couple of FF programs to get some timely awards, then stayed at the Placio del Inka in Cusco completely on these points ... well, my wife and I have built up a small stash since. These are my backup for a trip to South Africa in a year and a few months (but it looks like we won't need them).

But if Marriott ends up ruining the flexibility ... I don't want Marriott points. I want to keep my SPG points!

Panache

Level 2 Member
Starting from where?
Starting from Washington, DC. From what I can tell, availability on the nonstop flights to Australia from North America is quite spotty. SO has to work around a limited set of dates.

196k after the MB bonus posts, then top off with SPG, all into the same ANA account, and that way you'd be on the same ticket. But if time is of the essence maybe no reason to wait.
Yes, that too seems a good idea, time to get a quick GC to get the bonus. We still have a few weeks as the July schedule hasn't opened yet.

My only beef with SPG is that we never seem to get to maximize the hard-to-come-by points as we would only seldom, if ever make use of the 5th night free benefit, and some properties are, IMO, way overpriced. For example, I was looking to stay at the Westin Kyoto (10 K points/night or $300), but reviews on Tripadvisor were quite lousy, so I decided to save points for something better and instead we stayed at a non-chain hotel for less and was quite delightful, but I guess we can use the SPG points at a nice place in Australia!

HariOm

Transcendent Level
My only beef with SPG is that we never seem to get to maximize the hard-to-come-by points
Ah, just to clarify, for me, the benefit of SPG points is their versatility for transfers to airline partners. I don't use them for hotel stays. Everyone has their own user profile, of course. But that's the perspective from which I was writing above.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Ah, just to clarify, for me, the benefit of SPG points is their versatility for transfers to airline partners. I don't use them for hotel stays. Everyone has their own user profile, of course. But that's the perspective from which I was writing above.
What airline do you typically transfer to?

I'm in the opposite boat, I have more air miles than I could ever use, and I'm looking to hoard away SPG points for Tokyo next fall. I'm not sure whether this goes against the rules of the forum (if it does, I apologize and retract the comment) but I would be willing to book flights on any milage ticket through a Stair Alliance partner for anyone in this thread in exchange for a decent SPG points ratio swap.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Starting from Washington, DC. From what I can tell, availability on the nonstop flights to Australia from North America is quite spotty. SO has to work around a limited set of dates.

Yes, that too seems a good idea, time to get a quick GC to get the bonus. We still have a few weeks as the July schedule hasn't opened yet.

My only beef with SPG is that we never seem to get to maximize the hard-to-come-by points as we would only seldom, if ever make use of the 5th night free benefit, and some properties are, IMO, way overpriced. For example, I was looking to stay at the Westin Kyoto (10 K points/night or $300), but reviews on Tripadvisor were quite lousy, so I decided to save points for something better and instead we stayed at a non-chain hotel for less and was quite delightful, but I guess we can use the SPG points at a nice place in Australia!
I find that SPG points are most valuable at the higher end properties, that are less accessible on paid nights. I'm staying at the Gritti in Venice this fall (category 7) for 10 full nights in the highest category room avail. on award bookings before the suite level (which I'm hoping to get bumped to with Plat status) and it's costing me zero dollars. These rooms typically go for EUR €1,075 / night during the dates of our stay. We're also booked on a 5th night free promo; hence the full 10 nights to maximize points. That's a total savings of almost 12K in USD with the conversion... not too shabby! Oh and we're flying UA business class on miles. :)

Starpoints aren't really worth it to me for lower category stays. Not least of all because the properties tend to be less appealing, but also because the points are difficult enough to earn that it tends to be a poor value to redeem for stays where you could often get a decent promo or even apply a corporate rate and make it work. Personally, I'd rather do what you ended up doing and book with a local non-chain property in a situation like yours. Save the Starpoints for places and occasions where you really feel you're getting your money's worth.

Last edited:

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
I use them for topping up Alaska and American, both for use on partner airlines.
Ah, too bad neither work with SA. Well the offer still stands if you'd like to trade Starpoints for some award flights (independent of airline loyalty) booked on UA, AC, ANA, Lufthansa, and other similar partner airlines.