Bluebird

Sean1234

Level 2 Member
Like many of you my Serve was shut down during the first round last year. However, my SO is willing to set up a Bluebird we can use to fund our retirement accounts. Any insight on keeping the bird alive? I was contemplating setting up a minimal direct deposit to the card (in addition of course to loading with VGC) but have no idea if that will help.

Thoughts?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I was loading 500 a month via DD to 2 Serve cards with different names and addresses registered. I was periodically using each of them for (very small) purchases. I set up a couple of those little side "savings" accounts to park some of the money. And I tried to keep decent sized balances there instead of loading and clearing (as I did with the cards I had previously in my name and my wife's and lost). All of this extra work and both were shut down at the same time.

I believe that if you don't use the card for significant purchases (which isn't good for your miles/points) and fail to look like you are fairly scraping by you aren't going to keep your card.

Some folks have a system where they use the card (recklessly?) for a couple of months, close it before AMEX does, then open a new card and repeating. Anyone? Is this still working for those doing it this way?

ZipZapKaZoom

Level 2 Member
All of this extra work and both were shut down at the same time.
What was the shutdown date?
Any clue what triggered it?
Did you MS on one account and not on the other, In other words was a clean account closed just because you had a dirty one?
Have you tried opening a new account and gotten denied?

Lots of questions, Thanks in advance for the DPs.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
What was the shutdown date?
Any clue what triggered it?
Did you MS on one account and not on the other, In other words was a clean account closed just because you had a dirty one?
Have you tried opening a new account and gotten denied?

Lots of questions, Thanks in advance for the DPs.
Both cards were used pretty evenly ... certainly the primary goal was MS but I never maxed them out. I have a post with more detail (in a thread with even more DPs, here. I'll see if I can find it).

I tried recently for new (Serve VIP) accounts for my wife and I, closed over a year ago. Denied on both accounts.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Both cards were used pretty evenly ... certainly the primary goal was MS but I never maxed them out. I have a post with more detail (in a thread with even more DPs, here. I'll see if I can find it).
This thread:

https://saverocity.com/forum/threads/serve-round-3-shutdowns-have-begun.603080/

Reported my last 2 card shutdowns. If you look a couple of posts down for a follow-up from me, you'll see a link to the rules I was trying to follow to prevent this. FAIL! I wish I had a handle on the real trigger for shutdown, but at this point I would need to adopt another child to get a new account! (and that's not going to happen!)

Here's a direct link to my list of rules I tried to follow. Note that they are pasted in as a quote for some reason. I could probably fix that, but it's fairly old now ...

https://saverocity.com/forum/posts/702105/

Spiral

Some folks have a system where they use the card (recklessly?) for a couple of months, close it before AMEX does, then open a new card and repeating. Anyone? Is this still working for those doing it this way?
I have been doing this for about 4 months now. I just open a OneVIP Serve or Bluebird and then max it out loading visa gc's. Then I ACH the money to my bank account and close the account right after. No shutdown for me so far but again it's only been 4 months. I have not seen anyone report being shutdown after having closed their account themselves first though so I believe this method is pretty safe.

Sean1234

Level 2 Member
So there doesn't seem to be a max number of Serve VIP accounts. I have several open at the moment. Same address, same SSN, just different e-mails. Will start closing MS ones.
I don't think I realized you could have multiple Amex prepaid products at the same time...I thought it was Bluebird or Redbird (RIP) or Serve. Minus shutdowns, thats a game changer otherwise.

Are the Serve bans permanent?

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I don't think I realized you could have multiple Amex prepaid products at the same time...I thought it was Bluebird or Redbird (RIP) or Serve. Minus shutdowns, thats a game changer otherwise.

Are the Serve bans permanent?
I was shut down in the first wave, maybe early last year or whenever it was. Still can't get another under that ssn.

Spiral

So there doesn't seem to be a max number of Serve VIP accounts. I have several open at the moment. Same address, same SSN, just different e-mails. Will start closing MS ones.
I recall reading somewhere there is a max of 5 cards open at once, can't confirm personally.

Sahara

I was using Serve very conservatively (max $1200/month, often under $500 and had to pay the $1 fee) because I couldn't often get to WM (usually only collected VGC when there was a Staples rebate promo). I was still shut down even though I used it for other occasional spend. I only did bill pay, never ACH to bank account.

billygoat

Level 2 Member
I recall reading somewhere there is a max of 5 cards open at once, can't confirm personally.
I've seen multiple people claim its 5 serve and 1 bluebird. So 6, total, but i've never gotten near that.

EDIT : found some backup info here :
Code:
https://www.americanexpress.com/serve/help/?intlink=us-serve-marketing-home-help-amexsku2016-header-help#subaccounts-1
says you can have 4 subaccounts, which would imply 5 total, add a bluebird, you get 6. i realize this isnt exact proof showing completely different accounts, but id say it hints that per SSN, you can have 5 accounts.

Last edited: