Bloggers: List how much you get paid for credit card approvals through your site

mikeef

Level 2 Member
I'd often wondered what bloggers get paid for credit card sales through their sites so, when I got my first links, I was excited to start on my way to earning my fortune. My site has few followers, so I have no relationships with the banks directly. Rather, I work through a third-party affiliate site that provides me the links and keeps a healthy portion of what I get. I'm actually okay, with that, since it's better than nothing, and there's no way I could do the 100 apps per month that most banks require. I've only had a few cards purchased through my site, but here's what I've gotten for the different ones. Others, feel free to post here, as well:

Cap One Venture: $75
Ink Plus: $51
US Premier World MC: $29
Citi Aadvantage Plat MC: $34

As you can see, not exactly hitting the jackpot.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The third party thing kills it. I've worked with Credit Karma and LinkOffers. Both of these are actually third parties, but they are closer to the top, so are capable of paying more out. Interestingly LO told me that CK offers were repackaged from LO, but CK paid $200 for an Ink vs something like your level for LO (both through that banner/link program rather than direct links).

I was also talking with another firm recently who said that these guys were both repackaging THEIR links - so its all a case of everyone taking a piece of the pie...

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I always wonder why there is no shopping portal for credit card applications.

mikeef, how many succesful applications do you need to retain such links?

Matt, what do your links pay and how many apps are required for those?

By the way, do you still give it all to charity? If yes, how about we make the MattDOs a charity? :D

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

By the way, do you still give it all to charity? If yes, how about we make the MattDOs a charity? :D
We're not supposed to talk about how much they pay, but through the banner program it is generally less than direct links from my experience. I do give the money to charity, but frankly I am having second thoughts about it all since I don't like to have to keep mum on the amounts and don't like receiving emails asking me to push more links.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
By the way, can a forum like this be monetized in a way where each time a credit card is mentioned it links with the appropriate affiliate link? I've seen similar monetization on other forums. FWIW, I didn't like it too much and presumably it's more lucrative for indexed forums.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, can a forum like this be monetized in a way where each time a credit card is mentioned it links with the appropriate affiliate link? I've seen similar monetization on other forums. FWIW, I didn't like it too much and presumably it's more lucrative for indexed forums.
If you've seen it elsewhere then I think you've just answered your own question :)

F

Fuerza

Can we start a discussion on this in the career thread? I'm really interested what you guys do.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
Having it as a career requires dropping to Level 0 and wearing a bowtie. You cool with that?
Joke aside, I'm sure it requires a lot more than that. Having said that, there are plenty of sales professions and I'm sure this is not the most lucrative one.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Joke aside, I'm sure it requires a lot more than that. Having said that, there are plenty of sales professions and I'm sure this is not the most lucrative one.
Depends on your scale. You can earn 6 figures a month in this one if you push hard enough and have enough eyeballs on your site.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Which blogs are we talking about here? MMS, VFTW, or what?
I imagine so, I haven't seen actual data - I'd likely guess TPG, OMAAT too. Probably many others in the 5 figure range, both on BA and not.

For someone starting out it is harder, but you can still make good money. If you load up a post with links you'll likely convert at least one, probably more.

F

Fuerza

It's not my career.
Kudos! I couldn't imagine trying to write an effective and relevant travel blog, run a website and conduct our MS activities. All that and have a separate day job. Just yesterday I was thinking about how I could squeeze in some MS while working around the house.

mikeef

Level 2 Member

You're about to get more than you asked for. ;)

I have a career in the real world. I don't have the inclination to turn this into a career, since blogging is fun for me. If I made it my permanent job, there's no way I would enjoy it anymore. It would stress me out too much. The one downside to having credit card links is that it becomes very hard to differentiate between "am I writing this post because it is useful or because it will generate credit card apps?" It doesn't matter if I fall into the 100% "useful" category, it still feels like I am pushing credit cards sometimes. Since I refuse to write about MSing, credit card bonuses are one of the main ways that I can advise people to earn cheap miles.

I would absolutely advise everyone thinking of getting a credit card to do it through the links of someone who donates all of the proceeds to charity. Everybody wins that way.

In terms of total apps, I only get a few applications every week and no more than 3-4 approvals per month. The most I've ever been paid in a month (and I'm still relatively new) is $194. The program through the 3rd parties vary on how much they want, but the one I use is specifically designed for people like me: they don't care about the total number, since they take such a high percentage.

I also have Google Adsense links and get a check for $100 2-3 times per year. The biggest day I've ever had was when my blog got mentioned in a Boston Globe article and I got a whopping $20 or so. We're not talking big bucks here.

Am I jealous of people like VFTW and MMS? Absolutely. They're looking at a minimum five-figure paycheck monthly by doing something they love to do. From an editorial point of view, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they sell a ton of credit cards and sometimes have posts geared to do so. I consider their disclosure to be good. In some respects, they're in a sales job and the medium happens to be frequent flyer miles. The fact that they like the category is a bonus. I can't imagine that somebody like Gary Leff would be nearly as good a blogger in a different category.

Would I want to be in their position? Well, if you were going to promise me the kind of money that they make up front, I'd absolutely find a way to make myself enjoy it. But they have spent many years building up a readership and I simply don't have the capacity or the desire to do so.

Next blog, btw: A discussion and analysis of every Phineas and Ferb episode.

Mike

F

Fuerza

Curious is a blog the only way, I saw TPG has an app. Has anyone looked into FaceBook or any other social media sites to generate income through Credit Ad

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Curious is a blog the only way, I saw TPG has an app. Has anyone looked into FaceBook or any other social media sites to generate income through Credit Ad
Several BA bloggers use FB and Twitter for this.

Imagvir

Level 2 Member
I remember an old post on FT with lots of CC and it said what the referral bonus was. IIRC amex plat was at least $200 and Lufthansa was $150.

William Charles

How much you get paid varies on a lot of factors:

• Which network you're running your offers through
  • How much volume you're pushing
BankRate basically owns all the networks and they all repackage each others stuff. Credit Karma is the only other main player. Below are the rates, accounting for no network cut (these are just rough and how much 1 card issuer pays directly).

• Subprime cards (e.g secured): $20-$50
  • Prime cards: $70-$200
  • Prime business cards: $70-$250+
The more volume you push, the smaller cut a network will take. I imagine that most people are getting about $40-$100 per approved prime card app on the personal side and $50-$150 on the business side. I think the days of $250+ commissions that the blogger actually receives on the business cards is gone.