Best Way to Get from Gatwick to Heathrow?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
On my trip home from VCE this fall, I fly into Gatwick, and out of Heathrow the next morning.

Have a room booked for the night at the Radisson Blu at Heathrow.

There are busses and taxis and chauffeur services one can take. Also, I imagine car rental--for which a less than one day may be less than any of the above?

Does anyone have experience with any or all of these? If so, which is the best in terms of time/convenience/cost?

Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I can't recall if I've done this recently, but if I was to I would probably take the coach or Uber. Coach is 25lbs pp and uber prices as follows, so it depends on how many in your party.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 11.01.07 PM.png

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I would go Gatwick Express to Victoria, then hop the Piccadilly line straight to Heathrow. But that's a low-cost solo traveler with lots of energy. Depends on the luggage you have, time of day, and if you have other people in your party.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Thanks, Matt!

Just me--Husband is leaving 10 days earlier. I may just go w/National Express, depending on A+

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Missed your comment, Haserfauld. My flight from VCE lands after dark (early November), so, especially when I need to check in at 7 AM, it means that I'm not too excited about navigating from station to station to airport to hotel.

I'd probably do it just cuz I could, given a better time frame.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I just did the train but, given your timing, I'd go coach first if they run at your time and Uber next.
Thanks, Adam. I agree...coaches do run then, according to the website, and it just seems a bit less of a hassle at 10 PM to get from the LHR stop to the hotel, then the other way round.

smittytabb

Staff member
On my trip home from VCE this fall, I fly into Gatwick, and out of Heathrow the next morning.

Have a room booked for the night at the Radisson Blu at Heathrow.

There are busses and taxis and chauffeur services one can take. Also, I imagine car rental--for which a less than one day may be less than any of the above?

Does anyone have experience with any or all of these? If so, which is the best in terms of time/convenience/cost?

Thanks!
FWIF, I would never rent a car in London for what you are doing. Picadilly Line to Heathrow is super simple and I would do Gatwick Express to Victoria as well. But I travel very light and know London very well, so I can see why another option might be preferable.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Thanks for your input, Smitty. This is only my second time in London, and the first was less than 24 hours.

As it was, we got turned around (in Monday morning traffic!) driving to LHR for our flight home. But once I saw signs for the White Cliffs of Dover, I started to follow them; I knew we'd cross the Eastern Ring Road in the way there. Heh. It worked.

smittytabb

Staff member
Thanks for your input, Smitty. This is only my second time in London, and the first was less than 24 hours.

As it was, we got turned around (in Monday morning traffic!) driving to LHR for our flight home. But once I saw signs for the White Cliffs of Dover, I started to follow them; I knew we'd cross the Eastern Ring Road in the way there. Heh. It worked.
Americans often try to drive too much in Europe (and really anywhere including major U.S. cities). I take public transportation as much as I can when I am traveling. But that is just my particular preference. Uber would probably be another choicee, but it is often costly depending on surge pricing and in some places it cannot pick up at airports.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I agree on the driving too much. But that particular trip we went to Dublin, Glendalough, Youghal, Cork, the Dingle Peninsula, Wales, (via ferry) Ilfracombe (my dad was born there) a national park in Devon, Bristol and London. The drives, except for the very last one, were lovely and fascinating.