Best Cash Back Cards

Anh

Level 2 Member
Oops totally missed the six months requirement.

It would actually be 710 back out of 21k spend which is 3.4 percent and even more if you cash out with gift cards
I'm confused. I thought Discover gave him a deal where they give him $500 if he spends 21000. Where did the 710 come from ? Or is this on top of the 1% ?

johnny cash

Level 2 Member
I'm confused. I thought Discover gave him a deal where they give him $500 if he spends 21000. Where did the 710 come from ? Or is this on top of the 1% ?
Yes. The 500 is on top of reg. cash back, which is 1%. But on some cards is only 1/4% on first 3k and then 1% back.

MileCollector

Level 2 Member
A couple people are mentioning the PenFed card which offers 5% on gas. You have to remember that you're paying about a 2-3% premium for using a credit card for gas (at least in NJ). As such, my preferred method is buying gas gift cards at Staples using Ink (or other stores when the Discover / Freedom rotating 5x quarterly bonus align). I'll earn 5x UR per dollar (more valuable then 5% cash back IMO) AND when you use a gift card, you are charged the cash rate for gas, not the credit card rate.

Mike

Silver Member
Has anyone had success with downgrading their BCP to the old Amex blue cash card?
It seems the whole downgrading thingy with Amex is YMMV. I know friends who had success downgrading an SPG to an old Amex BC. It seems like something that can be done but you may need to get the right rep.

Freakflyer

Level 2 Member
I use the Venture Capital One 2% back card. Got hooked with their 100,000 "point" offer and stayed. They did waive the annual fee last year when I called to cancel.

Dkelly1110

Level 2 Member
Does one need to hit the $6500 lead up to for the Old Amex Blue each year of cardmembership? Is it based on calendar year, or cardmember year?

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
I have a Penfed 5% cash rewards which is useless to me since i have the Bluecash but if I use the Exxon Speedpass it does work as 5% cashback even on instore purchases.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I have a Penfed 5% cash rewards which is useless to me since i have the Bluecash but if I use the Exxon Speedpass it does work as 5% cashback even on instore purchases.
I wouldn't say it is useless. Spread the love, don't put all your eggs in the basket possibly subject to an FR :).

F

Fuerza

Lots of references to the PenFed 5-3-1 points card. The card T&c says pay at the pump, while Amex Blue is gas stations. That is something to consider. I'm made a few gas station in store purchases and none seem to code as pay at the pump.

chicago2world

Level 2 Member
Great insight from zeitgeist that you can pay in-store with SpeedPass and other such devices, and it codes as pay-at-pump. So you can get your 5% in-store with PenFed. Are there any transaction limits on SpeedPass-type purchases? Great thread!

bg85

Level 2 Member
I've recently switched from miles accumulation to cash back. Currently have the Discover it (big fan of the online portal) and Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% back everywhere). Would love to get an Amex CB for additional access to Sync deals. I've already got the no fee Hilton Amex, whats another CB suggestion besides the already mentioned old Amex Blue?

Andrew

Level 2 Member
For those of you using the Fidelity Amex Rewards cards, I was wondering how FIA/Bank of America treats the cycling of credit lines? I have $12k credit line on my Fidelity Amex but will need to cycle at least half of it for some MS stuff. Just looking for data points from those of you who utilize this card. Thanks.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
Great insight from zeitgeist that you can pay in-store with SpeedPass and other such devices, and it codes as pay-at-pump. So you can get your 5% in-store with PenFed. Are there any transaction limits on SpeedPass-type purchases? Great thread!
Unfortunately the Exxon stations I have been to will only accept cash to buy gift cards of any type.

I think PenFed is 5% cb up to $400.

AU1

Level 2 Member
I've recently switched from miles accumulation to cash back. Currently have the Discover it (big fan of the online portal) and Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% back everywhere). Would love to get an Amex CB for additional access to Sync deals. I've already got the no fee Hilton Amex, whats another CB suggestion besides the already mentioned old Amex Blue?
Capital One Spark is 2%.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
Would you elaborate on the statement "but if I use the Exxon Speedpass it does work as 5% cashback even on instore purchases."? Thanks!

chicago2world

Level 2 Member
I'll bite. Since Exxon won't allow purchase of gift cards with PayPass, is there anything else (besides gas, which you can pay for at the pump) worth purchasing inside an Exxon store with PenFed-linked PayPass? Apologies if I'm trying to drain this insight...

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
I have the 5X everybody else has, with a high CL.

What I haven't seen mentioned is the JCB 3X which I also have -- gotta live in California or a couple other specific states. I received a mailer about a month ago that I recall was promoting a $50 signup bonus for new accounts this month.

But I've kinda sockdrawered the JCB. I like to category-shift the 5X instead. I'm keeping the JCB forever though due to the low fee and peace-of-mind that comes with a backup plan.

3rddayfan

I recently opened a PenFed account with my Arrival for the start up deposit. One of the reasons I gave for being interested in PenFed was the interest I had in a PenFed credit card. That seemed to initiate enthusiasm with the rep who opened my account. Anyway, I haven't chosen the CC that I want from them yet.

Kendon

Level 2 Member
Can't beat the Old Amex Blue in my opinion. WF card was great during its first six months though. As long as you followed a few basic guidelines with the WF card you can go crazy with some MS.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
(it should also be noted that Amex will consider liquid assets on the FR if you include 3 months of bank statements)
My first application for an Amex had that kind of language in the app., something to the effect of: "all assets available for pay your balance." I took it to mean exactly that-- if I have $xxx,xxx in assets to pay the bill, I can use that as my reported income (I'm retired, low income and actually use $xxx,xxx for living expenses). I know that's pushing it a little and I've always been a bit afraid of an Amex FR so this reassures me. Language is not so broad on other apps and I continue to stress about reported vs. real when I apply. Experience of others welcome esp. by PM.

DebentureBoy

Level 2 Member
Some have mentioned the FIA Amex, I like the FIA Visa also. Getting to the 2% category is no problem, then they are equal after that. Visa is accepted a lot more places.

Also, there was a prior question about paying off FIA mid cycle and starting over. I've done that a bit without incident. I've been with them forever... don't know if that makes a difference or not. Things might change along those lines with the migration to BOA (foro the former MBNA group).

Finally, there are several CUs that use Elan as their card issuer. They offer 1.25% no fee cards and 1.5% with a fee. These are handy in that they come with a $0 cash advance limit that is strictly enforced -- it denies any transaction that would otherwise be a cash advance. Its nice to use it as a first purchase in case you aren't sure if the transaction will post as a CA or not.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
Speaking of FIA Amex, darn thing just disappeared from my FIAServices login today... No clue why! Need to call.

Marshallonmoney

Level 2 Member
The Amex Simply Business card gives 5% cash back at Office supply stores and 3% cash back at a store type you chose from a list. Limit of cash back on 25K in annual spend. Also, Fort Knox Credit Union gives 5% cash back on all purchases at a gas station, including GCs.

Last edited:

credipig

Level 2 Member
The Amex Simply Business card gives 5% cash back at Office supply stores and 3% cash back at a store type you chose from a list. Limit of cash back on 25K in annual spend. Also, Fort Knox Credit Union gives 5% cash back on all purchases at a gas station, including GCs.
Wow, nice info on the Ft Knox! It's unusual the 5% cash back would apply to purchases not made at the pump. Do you need to live in Kentucky to get it? Any problems getting the cash back?

Marshallonmoney

Level 2 Member
Wow, nice info on the Ft Knox! It's unusual the 5% cash back would apply to purchases not made at the pump. Do you need to live in Kentucky to get it? Any problems getting the cash back?
I live in Jax. No problem with cash back. Initial CL is 2.5K which does not change for the first year. I have used in store to purchase GCs with no problems. CB is applied to balance automatically. They accept MOs, although first few deposits are held 15 days, which is typical. Can transfer payment from account to pay CC, but takes several days to show up as credit. I have not tried to use much for MS, so don't know if it can be scaled up. Done about 1500/mo with no problem. Can apply online here: http://fortknoxfcu.org/online-app.html