Best Cash Back Cards

Maria Sangria

Level 51
Looking for everyone's thoughts and experiences on best cash back cards. Top of my list are:

Old Amex Blue Cash
5% CB on our favorite categories of grocery, gas and drug stores after $6500 of spend, 1% everything else. No annual fee.

Fidelity Amex
2% CB on everything. No annual fee. 7500 points sign up offer.

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature
5% CB on 2 categories you choose (now capped at $2000 per quarter), 2% on grocery, gas, drug stores, 1% on everything else. $25 sign up offer.

What's in your wallet?

Last edited:

Mike

Silver Member
Looking for everyone's thoughts and experiences on best cash back cards. Top of my list are:

Old Amex Blue Cash
5% CB on our favorite categories of grocery, gas and drug stores after $6500 of spend, 1% everything else. No annual fee.

Fidelity Amex
2% CB on everything. No annual fee. $75 and 7500 points sign up offer.

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature
5% CB on 2 categories you choose (now capped at $2000 per quarter), 2% on grocery, gas, drug stores, 1% on everything else. $25 sign up offer.

What's in your wallet?
I love the Old Amex Blue, I was much more infatuated with it when VRs were accessible at CVS... :'(

Maria Sangria

Level 51
I love the Old Amex Blue, I was much more infatuated with it when VRs were accessible at CVS... :'(
Well, never had CVS here in CO. Then I realized my husband travels for work and made him start shopping at CVS. But that was the month before the demise. Then I found some places that sell VRs. Look everywhere, especially gas stations. Some do, some don't.

Mike

Silver Member
Well, never had CVS here in CO. Then I realized my husband travels for work and made him start shopping at CVS. But that was the month before the demise. Then I found some places that sell VRs. Look everywhere, especially gas stations. Some do, some don't.
I am aware that Gas Stations do but much harder to come by, in my area, than CVS.

Maria Sangria

Level 51
I am aware that Gas Stations do but much harder to come by, in my area, than CVS.
Yeah, most gas stations I've stopped at have been no-go. Then I lucked out on a couple of gems, even though other ones of the chain do not have them or are CC only. That's why I say keep trying.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
I have

a PenFed card that give 5 points for gas and 3 points for food. The points are used to buy gift cards. Although one point is somewhat less that one percent, I only the card for gas and food so I'm still coming out with well over two percent for food and over four percent of gas. I also tend to buy gift cards that are on special, so it costs fewer points to buy them.

a US Bank Card for the five percent categories and two percent at drug stores. Only redeem when I have at least $100 saved in order to get a $25 bonus card.

the Chase Ink for five points at office supply stores and communications

Citibank Cash card for health club membership charged on an annual basis for the five percent rebate

whatever card I am churning for bonus points

projectx

Level 2 Member
I have the old Amex Blue, love it. Even though it "only" gets 1% back (after $6500) outside of the bonus categories, it's my go to card for just about everything.

Mike

Silver Member
I have the old Amex Blue, love it. Even though it "only" gets 1% back (after $6500) outside of the bonus categories, it's my go to card for just about everything.
I'm actually thinking of switching to it for my day to day card, but for some reason I can't give up my SPG.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
I have quite a bit since I Started 'collecting' in December.

Right now I use the Fidelity Amex 2% and the old Amex Blue Cash. I also have the PenFed 5% Cash Rewards (5% on gas)... and recently applied (and rec'd) the 1.5% Fidelity Visa and the BankAmericard Privileges which is 1% on all + 50% bonus when redeemed to BoA account (so 1.5%).

Never had more than one card until recently... trying to make up for lost time...

Rick

Level 2 Member
I chose the Fidelity Visa over the Amex. Over the course of a year, I expect to more than make up for the lost .5% on the first 15k since I can use the Visa for a wider array of MS opportunities. I can use it for my TD Buxx loads, for expample.

Malvina

Level 2 Member
I use Fidelity Amex and US Bank Cash+ ( this quarter iKEA for me). Hope to change my BCP to old Amex Blue in September.
I have old BJ's club credit card with 2x cashback on club purchases, or you can use Fidelity Amex. BJ's has VGCs - max $200/3.95 fee - so I have free VGCs for Evolve.

Last edited:

Radar

Level 2 Member
I use Fidelity Amex and US Bank Cash+ ( this quarter iKEA for me). Hope to change my BCP to old Amex Blue in September.
I have old BJ's club credit card with 2x cashback on club purchases. BJ's has VGCs - max $200/3.95 fee - so I have free VGCs for Evolve.

Radar

Level 2 Member
Seems hard to beat the old Amex Blue. You earn nothing for the first 6500 spending but they cover your expenses to do it with the 1% back. After that lots of options to earn 5% with no spending limit and no time frame of 3 or 6 months. On top of that no annual fee. Just the minor inconvenience of the 6500 spending once a year.

johnny cash

Level 2 Member
I really want the old amex blue, but was unable to get it. (too many new cards). Hopefully in a few months. Meanwhile I still have a few months left on WF 5% and I have an old priceline which pays 2% CB on everything, no limit and no AF. I just applied for the card in my newbie days without realizing the card's value -- I was booking on priceline and the offer popped up. In those days $20, or whatever the bonus was, was enough bait to get me to apply. I never used it again until I saw somewhere that it was paying back 2% and I searched in my draw for it. Unfortunately this card is no longer available. I believe current card is 1% with a bonus for make your own deal on priceline.

AU1

Level 2 Member
I just started using the CapitalOne Spark Business CC. It gives 2% cashback for everything.

Bryan

Level 2 Member
I just started using the CapitalOne Spark Business CC. It gives 2% cashback for everything.
Does the Spark card work for Amex Gift Cards? I've been thinking about getting the Cap One Spark to use for another business card and easier (maybe?) time ordering the Amex Gift Cards for a total of 5% back. I've searched a bit on FT but couldn't find anything definitive.

Last edited:

Anh

Level 2 Member
There's also the Wells Fargo Rewards/Cashback card that gives 5% for the first six months in groceries and drug stores, which are the two favorite MS destinations.
The old priceline has 2% cashback (5% for priceline purchases), no annual fee

MkMooney

Level 2 Member
I chose the Fidelity Visa over the Amex. Over the course of a year, I expect to more than make up for the lost .5% on the first 15k since I can use the Visa for a wider array of MS opportunities. I can use it for my TD Buxx loads, for expample.
How about Barclays Arrival+ for 2.2% back (redeemable for travel), that's a Mastercard which works for TD Go (Buxx).

AU1

Level 2 Member
Does the Spark card work for Amex Gift Cards? I've been thinking about getting the Cap One Spark to use for another business card and easier (maybe?) time ordering the Amex Gift Cards for a total of 5% back. I've searched a bit on FT but couldn't find anything definitive.
I just got the card, so I haven't tried Amex GC yet. I'm guessing if CapitalOne doesn't consider it a cash advance then there's no reason it shouldn't work.

mario

Level 2 Member
A word of caution about the Old Amex Blue Cash if you're approved with a low credit limit.

The card can be repaid mid statement. I used the app to pay my bill. Your credit line will become available even before the payment has posted, but do not go crazy spending before payments post or too fast in the first couple of months.

I was approved with a 2k limit back in February, I charged 8k in the first two months by pay off the balance a few times each month in the first couple of months. Bam! Financial Review. It didn't help that I had already maxed out the 6k @ 6% on my Blue Cash Preferred by March. It seems as though they will look at a cumulative total of purchases across all of your cards when they compare with your Annual Income. When they called they mentioned the fact that most of my purchases were at CVS, 7-Eleven, and Safeway. Lesson learned... don't get carried away with a new card. Good news is that I got out of the FR with minor damages... They lowered my CL on one card... That was it. :D

(it should also be noted that Amex will consider liquid assets on the FR if you include 3 months of bank statements)

mario

Level 2 Member
I have quite a bit since I Started 'collecting' in December.

Right now I use the Fidelity Amex 2% and the old Amex Blue Cash. I also have the PenFed 5% Cash Rewards (5% on gas)... and recently applied (and rec'd) the 1.5% Fidelity Visa and the BankAmericard Privileges which is 1% on all + 50% bonus when redeemed to BoA account (so 1.5%).

Never had more than one card until recently... trying to make up for lost time...
Don't worry... You will catch up. I only started applying aggressively about 6-8 months ago and I went from 3-4 cards to 19 cards. Just spread them out over all the major banks. You can even mix in some small obscure cards... I have found those cards can be just as interesting and lucrative.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
Oh, I have. :) I think... FICO still 762? According to flyer with my Bank Americard...Lol, credit avg. history is a F though but always paid on time and such so it's less of an issue.

Right now I have: 3 hard hits (T-Mobile, FIA, FIA).

Amex Blue Cash - 18k (5% after 6500...)
PenFed 5% Plat Cash rewards (5% gas) - 40k
Chase Sapphire Pref - 16k
Chase Ink - 18k
Wells Fargo Visa Sig (was 5x. Worthless now). - 5k
Fidelity Amex 20k.
Fidelity Visa 5k (Could increase but don't want another stupid FIA hardpull, just got days ago).
BoA BankAmericard (In mail...) - 18k
Discover IT -6k

I think that's it... Any suggestions? Hopefully BoA will come out with some better ones soon.... Still trying to figure out the secret to the Fidelity Amex, can't directly deposit into Fidelity accounts because of balance transfer fee???

Right now I use the Blue Cash and the Fidelity Amex the most.

Marshallonmoney

Level 2 Member
There's also the Wells Fargo Rewards/Cashback card that gives 5% for the first six months in groceries and drug stores, which are the two favorite MS destinations.
The old priceline has 2% cashback (5% for priceline purchases), no annual fee
FYI The WF card is ALSO 5% back at gas stations. Have that and old Amex Blue.

Last edited:

Mike

Silver Member
I have such a low credit line on my Old Amex Blue and I keep on requesting an increase and I keep getting denied even after calling recon, any ideas?

Marshallonmoney

Level 2 Member
I have such a low credit line on my Old Amex Blue and I keep on requesting an increase and I keep getting denied even after calling recon, any ideas?
I have a 5K limit, but spend WAY more than that by constantly paying "bill". Can make 3K "payment" even if the balance due is less or 0.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Remember the $400 limit for receiving CB at gas stations when using the AmEx Old Blue Cash.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Don't worry... You will catch up. I only started applying aggressively about 6-8 months ago and I went from 3-4 cards to 19 cards. Just spread them out over all the major banks. You can even mix in some small obscure cards... I have found those cards can be just as interesting and lucrative.
Would you be willing to elaborate on the interesting but less well known cards you find valuable?