Belgium April 2016

SCC

Level 2 Member
I just booked a trip to Europe next year with a buddy for what is essentially a beer tour around Belgium and surrounding areas. For those who are interested, booked AA saver, off-peak awards (DFW>FRA; CDG>DFW).

Plan is to take the train from FRA to Cologne for a day or so then head to Belgium for majority of the time before heading off to Paris for a few days and then fly home.

Any recommendations on hotels in Cologne, Brussels, Bruges, Paris, etc? Have lots of UR, MR, and TYP, but not a lot with specific chains, so figured we're far enough out that I could look at acquiring those now.

Oh and if anyone has "not to miss" things over there I'd gladly welcome them.

Thanks!

sriki

Level 2 Member
I stayed at Park Hyatt Vendome last year. This hotel gets a lot of publicity from the blogosphere. That puts off some people but it's pretty solid. I also heard good things about Radisson Blu, CHamps Elysees. There is also IC Paris Le Grand & ShangriLa (had dinner at this location and was impressed)

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
PHV is pretty sweet. It's a splurge on points for me that's worth it for a few nights if you have plenty of Hyatt/UR.

In 2013, we stayed at Le Meridien Brussels. Location was good, overall hotel though was kinda meh, though (that was 2+ years ago though, not sure if they've had a renovation since).

Same trip we went to Bruges and stayed at Relais Ravestein (Molenmeers 11, Bruges 8000) and had a nice stay. Nothing fancy but affordable and not worn down, either. Pretty decent location right off a canal. I'd stay there again if the price was still right.

We did the brewery tour in Bruges and enjoyed it. We also did the canal cruise or whatever, but I'd say that's a pretty skippable activity for the most part. We rented bikes one evening and rode all the way to nearby Damme (quaint town,~4-5 miles each direction) for drinks and dinner and it was fun and kinda "off the beaten path" (not literally, though--the bike path is paved the entire way :)).

My favorite thing we did in Paris was buy baguettes, meats, and cheap wine and sit in the park at the Eiffel Tower and drink and people watch. I would still classify that as "not to miss".

Reactions: SCC

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
In Bruges we stayed at the Crowne Plaza next to the church. If you're a french fry fan they have museum there. And it's extensive! Who knew there was that much to learn about potatoes.

We took the high speed to Paris and stayed at the Renaissance in Trocadero...about a 10 minute walk to Eiffel Tower and the red bus stopped at the end of the street which was perfect. Room was great except my two 10 year olds quickly discovered the room had a door bell that needed to be pressed 100 times an hour.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I agree on the + for the Hotel du Louvre. Radisson Champs Elysees is ok to burn points, but nothing great, especially with free last night off.

I can't imagine what the ShangriLa Paris costs.

cal1152

Level 2 Member
I visited Bastogne, Belgium a couple of years ago. Stayed at the Best Western there....honestly....it was pretty good. The bier there was excellent and had a great time exploring the Band of Brothers (101st Airborne) sites in the Ardennes Forest. Absolutely amazing....still had the foxhole indentations in the ground were the 101st had been.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If you are going to be a week or more in one place, Dia (The Deal Mommy) highly recommends EVR (Endless Vacation Rentals.) You would have to use something like A+ on them, but there are rooms with kitchenettes in a castle, or quaint places in quiet neighborhoods in Venice on the list. The minimum stay is a week, and the cost per night can be crazy inexpensive.

I only wish there were places in my favorite place in Italy, Comacchio, on that site!

SCC

Level 2 Member
If you are going to be a week or more in one place, Dia (The Deal Mommy) highly recommends EVR (Endless Vacation Rentals.) You would have to use something like A+ on them, but there are rooms with kitchenettes in a castle, or quaint places in quiet neighborhoods in Venice on the list. The minimum stay is a week, and the cost per night can be crazy inexpensive.

I only wish there were places in my favorite place in Italy, Comacchio, on that site!
Will investigate. Thanks!