Avoiding Spring Breakers in SE Florida

projectx

Level 2 Member
We are kicking around the idea of spring break (last week of March, 2016) in Southeast FL. Is that possible with little kids, or are we nuts? Some say Miami is one of the "trashiest spring break cities", while others say it's way overblown and not what it used to be. Some sites mention Hollywood Beach as a place that's safe from the wild party crowds. We were going to travel in the summer but now rethinking that due to the heat and rainy season.

Anyone with experience? Input from locals?

We'll be flying into FLL, spending a couple days in Homestead to tour the Everglades and Biscayne NP, then to a place on the beach. Hotel rates are insane but there are some reasonable offers on Airbnb.

Dia

Level 2 Member
You'll be fine...they pretty much have their own little enclave. If you're not married to staying on the beach, try Coral Gables.

Haley

I am not a robot
One thing about Airb&b is people cross list on all the other sites, home away, VBRO, and Craigslist come to mind. The avaliability you see might be phantom.

That said, if you are flexable about where you stay there are tons of rentals in that area.

projectx

Level 2 Member
You'll be fine...they pretty much have their own little enclave. If you're not married to staying on the beach, try Coral Gables.
Can you elaborate? Their own enclave as in avoid the main area of South Beach, and we'll be ok? I just don't want to be stuck in a hotel or apt rental with rowdy students in rooms next to us and puking in the hallways and all the beach shenanigans.

I considered Coral Gables area, but our kids will be 6, 3, and 3 when we travel, so staying on the beach is important to keep from having to schlep them all over.

Dia

Level 2 Member
Yea, if you're north of say 40th, but I'd stay further north...Bal harbor area is pretty upscale. I'm going down next weekend and will ask some locals.