Authorized users and coverage

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
I couldn't find any information on the web about this, but perhaps someone here knows.

Say Alice has a US-issued credit card and her friend Bob is an AU on it. Bob has no other credit cards.
Can Bob rent a car in the US using his card, decline CDW at the rental agency and have coverage form the credit card?
Does it depend on the issuer of the card?

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
I couldn't find any information on the web about this, but perhaps someone here knows.

Say Alice has a US-issued credit card and her friend Bob is an AU on it. Bob has no other credit cards.
Can Bob rent a car in the US using his card, decline CDW at the rental agency and have coverage form the credit card?
Does it depend on the issuer of the card?
I would suspect it depends on the issuer. I recently read through the T&C for the Amex coverage, and the basic idea was (1) if you're signed up for the Amex insurance and (2) the person is an authorized driver then (3) they're covered.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
But here Alice has no part in the rental. She's not even an authorized driver.

My reasoning is the following:
  1. Rental agency will authorize a driver based on having a credit card in his name.
  2. Thus, not caring if the driver is the primary holder or an AU, they authorize him and use the card for payment.
  3. Issuer cares about the driver being authorized and the rental being paid with the card, both fulfilled above.

ysugar1

Level 2 Member
I would suspect it depends on the issuer. I recently read through the T&C for the Amex coverage, and the basic idea was (1) if you're signed up for the Amex insurance and (2) the person is an authorized driver then (3) they're covered.
Yes, that is how it works.