App-O-Rama Time.. what would you do?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a good few months since my last cards, so I've been running down my balances (my intra months get a little out of control sometimes.. never carry a balance!) in prep for the next round. I know AORs are super hard to help with, but if you see anything obvious, let me know!

My goal is to target 6-8 cards (between me the wife), spread out between the issuers:

Amex:
2x EDP 30K.. if we can get it via incognito will make the min spend $6K twice in the first 30 days.

Chase:
Avoiding this round

Citi:
Want a good bonus.. at least 50K on a Biz AA or maybe some TYP.. but over 50K ideally - any ideas?

Wells
2x Thinking about the Propel card, Fido looks like its time may be up, and it would be a good prep card for replacement to Serve

Capital1
1x Spark $500 signup

USB
2x Cash+ so I can be cool like FQF

Edit.. Ooops! I forgot Discover.. time to get IT.

.... I guess I want one more bank... maybe Barclays has something..

Let me know what's 'hot' and what's not for you right now.

PS -there is a 100K offer for Crystal bank right now, but after it got so much attention I'm not bothering.
PPS- tis the season to AOR. Many cards have calendar year bennies or caps. Get a card now, hit the spend cap/bennies now, and again in Jan.

Last edited:

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
You talking about the City National Bank Crystal Visa card? Why not go for it other than jumping through the hoops to get it.

$5k in 90 days for 100k points which can be redeemed at 1 c per point for travel. Looking at $1000 here plus other benefits. $400 fee waived first year.

3x pts on gasoline, airline, hotel, taxi, rental car, train, bus, restaurants. Global entry fee application fee credit, $250 airline incidentals, no ftf,

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
You talking about the City National Bank Crystal Visa card? Why not go for it other than jumping through the hoops to get it.

$5k in 90 days for 100k points which can be redeemed at 1 c per point for travel. Looking at $1000 here plus other benefits. $400 fee waived first year.

3x pts on gasoline, airline, hotel, taxi, rental car, train, bus, restaurants. Global entry fee application fee credit, $250 airline incidentals, no ftf,
Can't be arsed to elbow my way through the crowd. Gotta figure thousands of apps being launched at one guy.. I'll pass.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I'm due for an AOR too.

I was thinking Chase BA since I want to fly frequently around the US and take advantage of OW elite upgrades.
Another BoA Alaska card ( i don't see that on your list?)
I was also debating between citi ty vs exec

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
BofA
Nothing?

Chase
Unless they have already started declining you for branded cards, why are you avoiding Chase?

US Bank
What are you getting the Cash+ for?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
BofA
Nothing?

Chase
Unless they have already started declining you for branded cards, why are you avoiding Chase?

US Bank
What are you getting the Cash+ for?
Maybe an AS? It all seems a bit meh otherwise (but I've never really watched that channel so don't know what's good there)

Chase, yep was denied last time.

US- charity... Can I really select the same 5x every Q?

smittytabb

Staff member
Might be time to get on the Thank You Points bandwagon, with either the Prestige or Premier, depending on your intended use. Both are 50K at the moment.

Hah, $400 per YEAR ($2k quarterly cap, not $1.5k)! Flexperks Travel is unlimited (ok, $120k annual cap) 3x earning on Kiva, worth 3c or up to 6c redeemed for paid airfare. Do that instead (I can refer you).

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
Is there ever a better sign up bonus offered for the flex perks travel card? I could use a US Bank card to fill the hole left by my closed CC card.

smittytabb

Staff member
@Matt I agree about the FlexPerks as I had mentioned to you in another post regarding this card. Got beaten to the punch on the referral, but I also can refer for this card. I can also give you a referral on the DiscoverIT.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how flex perks fits into my travel patterns - very infrequent $400 tickets that can't be covered by avios.

For referrals - I gots my own links! Q4 has begun :)

smittytabb

Staff member
Is there ever a better sign up bonus offered for the flex perks travel card? I could use a US Bank card to fill the hole left by my closed CC card.
Yes, there is usually a sign up bonus. It is traditionally highest during the Olympics. They have some kind of promotion during that time tied to U.S. medals. That is when I got mine.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Citi Prestige--although better if you wait until late-November. Get $750 travel credit for one AF of $450 (or $350 if you have Citigold), plus 50k TYP sign up bonus.
--$250 travel credit for calendar 2015;
--$250 for 2016;
--$250 in early January for 2017, before canceling the card.
If you get the card in late November the 2017 statement containing AF will hit in December, which gives you time to get the 2017 travel credit in early Jan. before canceling the card. However, I believe Citi will prorate an annual fee charge if you cancel, so if you get the card now you would likely only have to pay 2 months of the $450 AF ($75), or $350 if you have Citigold ($58).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Citi Prestige--although better if you wait until late-November. Get $750 travel credit for one AF of $450 (or $350 if you have Citigold), plus 50k TYP sign up bonus.
--$250 travel credit for calendar 2015;
--$250 for 2016;
--$250 in early January for 2017, before canceling the card.
If you get the card in late November the 2017 statement containing AF will hit in December, which gives you time to get the 2017 travel credit in early Jan. before canceling the card. However, I believe Citi will prorate an annual fee charge if you cancel, so if you get the card now you would likely only have to pay 2 months of the $450 AF ($75), or $350 if you have Citigold ($58).
Yep- I want a TYP card.. Could do with a nice 100k offer :)

Max

Level 2 Member
Maybe an AS? It all seems a bit meh otherwise (but I've never really watched that channel so don't know what's good there)

Chase, yep was denied last time.

US- charity... Can I really select the same 5x every Q?
I got the US Bank Cash + when I worked at the bank actually, a few years before I became savvy to anything points related. It's a decent card to have just so you can have a no AF credit line open with USB. However, the cap on the rewards that @Free-quent Flyer mentioned is pretty annoying. That said, it does have some niche categories that don't come up with other 5x cards. And you can definitely select the same categories over and over again. I was a broke college student who selected restaurants and fast food as my 5x category every single quarter. Oh if I only knew...

That said, I would only go for this card if you've run out of most other options to fill out your app cycle.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Applied for

• 30K EDP x2
  • Discover
  • UA Biz (her) despite trying to stay away from Chase
  • Spark
Approved instantly other than Chase who wants a call...

Kinda want one or two more.. thinking..

MrMike

Level 2 Member
Decided to pass on the Propel?

Why not 2 USB cards? If you could still do it for 1 pull. I got approved for the flexperks visa and amex last week. I've had issues before making use of flexperks. But if the points from both cards are combined (not sure?) then a flight up to $800 would be easier for me. Or doing some grocery MS can get me where I need to be. Worse case I'll cash them out for $400.

Also got approved for 2 TD cards last week (aeroplan and first class). Like the flexperks, the individual bonus isn't that great, but 2 for 1 pull is worthwhile.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Why not 2 USB cards? If you could still do it for 1 pull. I got approved for the flexperks visa and amex last week. I've had issues before making use of flexperks. But if the points from both cards are combined (not sure?) then a flight up to $800 would be easier for me. Or doing some grocery MS can get me where I need to be. Worse case I'll cash them out for $400.

Also got approved for 2 TD cards last week (aeroplan and first class). Like the flexperks, the individual bonus isn't that great, but 2 for 1 pull is worthwhile.
Didn't realize I needed to go to a branch for propel...

I can handle another card.. Or 3 but still can't see me really using flex points- I'm most interested in international J.. But maybe I should give them another look.

Also will probably get a biz AS, I just started collecting them recently.

smittytabb

Staff member

The first class card was completely off my radar. Just got the Aeroplan a few weeks ago. Have the FlexPerks visa and really like the card. May eventually go for both of these. Really smart to apply simultaneously.

smittytabb

Staff member
I can handle another card.. Or 3 but still can't see me really using flex points- I'm most interested in international J.. But maybe I should give them another look.
Pro tip: Buy coach on international with FlexPerks then upgrade with points and copay to J. Helps to have some status, but it is sometimes possible without.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Pro tip: Buy coach on international with FlexPerks then upgrade with points and copay to J. Helps to have some status, but it is sometimes possible without.

Wouldn't that be really expensive? 20k plus $3-500 pp (each way?) plus a chunk of flex points?

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Often when you apply for a pers AS they come back after the app was sent in with "do you want to apply for a Bus card.?" One of the times I said yes and easily got both.

pier11

Level 2 Member
Often when you apply for a pers AS they come back after the app was sent in with "do you want to apply for a Bus card.?" One of the times I said yes and easily got both.
Does the bank report the business card on credit report? (like Cap1 does)
Also had the two hard pulls - from personal and business applications - combined into one?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Was this offer via cardmatch? I never get AMEX specific offers when I qualify my info with them, and even if I use their generic page incognito, I only see the boring 15k offer.
There's an incognito offer flying around. We have a thread on it here I believe, but if you can't find it Loophole travel just blogged about it.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
There's an incognito offer flying around. We have a thread on it here I believe, but if you can't find it Loophole travel just blogged about it.
Ok, I found the incognito offer directly on the AMEX site, thanks for the pointer. Still debating my angles on if/how I might take advantage of this myself.

Does AMEX allow combining or sharing of household accounts? As I mentioned (somewhere), I have the NAF version of this, so I'm doubting I'm eligible. My wife no doubt IS eligible, but I've got the large stash of MR so far, and to spread out the pot is less than ideal. Can we transfer to each other's FF accounts?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I found the incognito offer directly on the AMEX site, thanks for the pointer. Still debating my angles on if/how I might take advantage of this myself.

Does AMEX allow combining or sharing of household accounts? As I mentioned (somewhere), I have the NAF version of this, so I'm doubting I'm eligible. My wife no doubt IS eligible, but I've got the large stash of MR so far, and to spread out the pot is less than ideal. Can we transfer to each other's FF accounts?
You can txf providing that they are authorized users, easy to do.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
To be clear, the MR can be transferred to AU's FF program but not from account owner's MR to AU's MR account. They will not allow the latter.
Ah. I had to read that a couple of times to get it, but I did! That works fine for me.

I managed to snag the 30k offer for my wife. We're all set there. I tried to piggy-back a Hilton NAF app. That went to pending, so we'll see. But the EDP is in the books!

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Ah. I had to read that a couple of times to get it, but I did! That works fine for me.

I managed to snag the 30k offer for my wife. We're all set there. I tried to piggy-back a Hilton NAF app. That went to pending, so we'll see. But the EDP is in the books!
Pretty sure in years past up til last year, Amex would allow multiple credit card apps and approve them on the same day. Now, the 2nd credit card app always goes to pending and they'll process it 5 days later.

On the other hand, I think you can app multiple charge cards and get them approved the same day. The pulls should combine.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Pretty sure in years past up til last year, Amex would allow multiple credit card apps and approve them on the same day. Now, the 2nd credit card app always goes to pending and they'll process it 5 days later.

On the other hand, I think you can app multiple charge cards and get them approved the same day. The pulls should combine.
My strategy didn't work then. Shoot! Well, as long as we GET the Hilton card, it will be worth it whether 2 pulls or 1.

Before I got into this past-time, I wouldn't have thought to get an AMEX card. Ever. Fees? Restricted acceptance? Why bother. Now my card list is full and my wife's will be, too. My list includes a couple of charge cards, but I've still maxed out my credit slots. I need to bone up on my AMEX rules and memorize which cards are credit and which are charge cards.

Thanks for the clarifications.