Annual Starwood category changes aren’t as bad as I would have expected

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
Given the large amounts of points and miles introduced into the system over the last several years, devaluations are simply a fact of life. It was thus a surprise to look at SPG’s 2017 list of category changes and see that a solid majority of the hotels are moving down in category, not up. I’ve summarized the category changes by region below:

You’ll note that North America is the highest, yet the U.S. actually makes out pretty well, with only 39% of the changes being category increases. What’s happening is that Canada is getting slammed: of 40 hotels changing category, 38 are going up. (Ow Canada!)

Seven hotels saw a change of two categories: five of those (Sthala, Auberge du Vin, Sir Savigny, Four Points Halifax, and Westin Toronto) were increases and two (Sheraton Grand Istanbul and Four Point Ft. Lauderdale) were decreases. If you’d been eyeing the Four Points Halifax, don’t worry: you have until March 7 to book at the old category level before the category change goes into effect.

The post Annual Starwood category changes aren’t as bad as I would have expected appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...

Bury

Level 2 Member
Surprised to see the Westin Copley Place in Boston get downgraded. That is one nice hotel in a prime spot in a city that has really expensive hotels.

Bury

Level 2 Member
edit to add: Westin Toronto Airport is nothing special, stayed there last year and was disappointed. Won't miss it going up 2 categories. The Park Central in SF is a great location, surprised to see that coming down. And Canada is probably getting slammed because the NYT ranked it the #1 place to visit. Also, our northern neighbors are probably benefitting from a better public image abroad with our new administration..