AMEX Fraud Alert

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I hit the same Safeway twice on Saturday within a few hours of each other after finding Reloadits with a CC. The second time my old AMEX Blue Cash was denied for a purchase of $495.00.

I got my first fraud alert txt message on my phone asking if I had made the purchase and I confirmed it from my phone. I then received the following txt message:

"Sorry, we are unable to continue. Please call us immediately t 1-800-824-9289. You may disregard this message if you've previously verified this attempt."

My online AMEX account still shows a fraud alert for my old BC today.

Am I going to have to call to clear the fraud alert? Any other way to clear it without calling and getting grilled?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I found the App useful- not sure if it can clear an alert or not.

Reactions: Anh

McRingRing

Level 2 Member
I got a fraud alert last week on my old Blue while traveling. I called back and it was automated and just confirming I tried to make the changes. No actual person or conversation. I called 800-528-4800.

PointsEarner615

Level 2 Member
I called in and reached a real human being who just wanted to verify the charges and then he went ahead and cleared the hold. The Amex web site still had a fraud warning alert, but that was irrelevant after the hold was cleared. IIRC, the web site alert took 3-4 days to clear.

I too was stopped trying to buy ReloadIts at Safeway. But that was more to do with not having ever purchased *anything* from Safeway than the attempt to purchase a ReloadIt.

Anh

Level 2 Member
I found the App useful- not sure if it can clear an alert or not.
The last time I had an Amex alert on my PRG I was able to clear it with the app. The funny thing is that I got a message saying that I should call back regarding my Amex card ending in XYZ, which was my Platinum card that I had canceled a while back. I was suspecting the call wasn't from Amex themselves so I went to the app and checked and there was an alert on my PRG, for which I cleared. Since then I have not had any alert

shenxing

Level 0 Member
I got one of these while on a GC binge this past Saturday while out of town. I called up Amex and spoke with a very friendly CSR. They just wanted me to confirm the charges.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I have a question regarding fraud alerts and authorized users. I am an authorized user on my mother's Amex BC, which I use to do quite a bit of MS'ing, I have only had one fraud alert so far, but the alert went to her phone, which did not help as I could not clear the fraud alert while I was trying to my GC purchase.

Is it possible for me to make it so fraud alerts come to my phone so that I can handle it in the moment when I am in the store (even though I am not the main account holder)?

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
From a quick look, it seems to me that you can have only 1 email and 1 phone number for Alerts...
So can you have one come to you and one come to you mother?

See:
Profile / Communication & Alerts Preferences / Account Alerts
Communication Email
Mobile Number

Andrew

Level 2 Member
From a quick look, it seems to me that you can have only 1 email and 1 phone number for Alerts...
So can you have one come to you and one come to you mother?

See:
Profile / Communication & Alerts Preferences / Account Alerts
Communication Email
Mobile Number
If I provided my number and the call came to me (the authorized user) would they allow me to authorize it, even though I am not the primary account holder?

Email would not be a problem because they wouldn't hear my voice, but email is not as good an option because the email comes slower than the fraud alert call.

ddavidch

Level 42 Member
If I provided my number and the call came to me (the authorized user) would they allow me to authorize it, even though I am not the primary account holder?

Email would not be a problem because they wouldn't hear my voice, but email is not as good an option because the email comes slower than the fraud alert call.
I'm not positive about your complete rights as an auth user, maybe others can help here...
But my thinking is, that if you can authenticate you should be able to authorize.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
I a
I'm not positive about your complete rights as an auth user, maybe others can help here...
But my thinking is, that if you can authenticate you should be able to authorize.
I agree. I'm sure there are members on this forum who use family member's cards for MS-ing and must have run into this issue.

shenxing

Level 0 Member
I a

I agree. I'm sure there are members on this forum who use family member's cards for MS-ing and must have run into this issue.
I had this happen once. They would only speak to the primary card holder. This wouldn't have been a problem, but for the gender of my GF.

shenxing

Level 0 Member
One would think your GFs gender would be a plus... BAZINGA!
Trust me, she was not happy to have to call to fix *my* screwups.

That said, I did pull off impersonating her for the Chase recon line some months ago. I'm still amazed they fell for it since I don't have a particularly high voice.