AMEX customer service nightmare

spamman808

Level 2 Member
Hey folk,

It's my first post ever, so I hope I don't do this too poorly.

My girlfriend and I signed up for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card a few weeks ago, thinking that the 50000 points for $1000 spend would be a good intro card toward earning our way to Europe using miles. My card came through no problem, and using some of the techniques I found here and on some of the blogs I was able to make the minimum spend in no time. Unfortunately her card never showed up. She called 2 weeks ago and was told that they did approve her, and would be expediting the card to her. A week later it hadn't showed up, so she called Amex and went through 6 different people, each told her that they understood her problem and would transfer her to the person who could fix it. Aside from a nice exposure to some great waiting music, she did not receive any help, and the last person transferred her to a dead end (we're sorry, all operators are busy, please call again...). Needless to say she was miffed, so she decided to wait a few days and call back. Same scenario, so this time she decided to play dirty and ask for a supervisor after about 4 different people. He ended up putting her on hold and...hanging up on her.

At the same time, I started a chat with online support through my account, who was able to get her an account page, that showed she had a card waiting. Armed with this info she called Amex back. The phone operators (including a new supervisor) couldn't find her card/account, so proceeded to shuffle her between three departments, claiming each time that she would be helped by the next department. Finally she got some poor young lady on the line and quite sternly told her she refused to be transferred and would not accept anything less than a solution to her problem.

All it took was AMEX cancelling the first "card" and re-approving her for a new card with the same bonus, but talk about a headache. Not quite the way I wanted to break my girlfriend into the game, so to speak...

I guess the purpose of this rant is to ask if this kind of thing happens a lot with AMEX (andshould I focus my effort on earning other companies rewards, especially if I may need help at times)? Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with helpful representatives who just aren't too helpful?

Thanks!

David

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Congrats on your first post and welcome!

I have never had that kind of experience with Amex. Some say their Customer Service is not what it used to be but my personal experiences have always been fine.

Perhaps the take-away - and this is just a guess on my part - is that when a new card does not arrive, the best thing to do is call the Fraud Dept. of Amex. My guess is they can probably locate a record using SSN and name, cancel the card, and have a new one sent.

Be aware that you need to make the spend with the clock starting on the date of approval, not card receipt. So don't miss that deadline!

Good luck!

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Agree with ElainePDX. I have had very good service from AMEX whenever I've called (Old Blue, Everyday, Platinum, Gold, Hilton), so am surprised at the horrible service received. On the other hand, I've never had a missing card. Hopefully, you got your one glitch over with and smooth sailing ahead. Good luck!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Another "Me, too." Amex has been good to us. I was made an Account Manager on Husband's account, with just his verbal say so over the phone. Have never had an issue with them.

But as Elaine suggested, if a card does't arrive in reasonable time, call Fraud to cancel and have re-issued. I had a replacement card from BoA be stolen at the airport, years ago. Before it ever left Boston, "I" had racked up about $2500 in clothing. Since at that point I usually charged airfare, they called me right away, even in the days before a vigorous fraud prevention dept at CC companies.

Turned out that a group of the baggage handlers at the old NWA at Logan had a brisk business going with stolen credit cards that they sold on the black market.

spamman808

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the responses! I hadn't had any poor experiences either (not that I've had too long to interact with them), but it seemed like a terrible time for her.

We did manage to cancel the original card, and have another re-issued, so I think we're good on that. I'll try to smooth things over to keep her head in the game, so to speak. It's a lot more fun traveling around with a partner!

Thanks again!