Amex Business Platinum 150K offer

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Got an offer in the mail today for an Amex Business Platinum card.

$20K in spend in 3 months and you get 150K. Annual fee is $450, which can be lowered by the $200 airline credit. And I guess if you cancel the card after 3-4 month you should be able to get $300 back, assuming they prorate the annual fee.

www.open.com/getplatinum. You may need an RSVP code though.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Got an offer in the mail today for an Amex Business Platinum card.

$20K in spend in 3 months and you get 150K. Annual fee is $450, which can be lowered by the $200 airline credit. And I guess if you cancel the card after 3-4 month you should be able to get $300 back, assuming they prorate the annual fee.

www.open.com/getplatinum. You may need an RSVP code though.
$20K spend in 3 months? Here I thought the $10k Citi was bad :p

TheBOSman

Staff member
Especially if someone signs up as a Sole Prop with $1 revenue.
Throwing down $20K in a month/two will definitely raise an eyebrow.
I would definitely want to take the whole 3 months to go through the $20k on this. Something like $3k/7k/10k or some other similar, relatively logical progression.

pointsaholic

Level 2 Member
Especially if someone signs up as a Sole Prop with $1 revenue.
Throwing down $20K in a month/two will definitely raise an eyebrow.
Datapoint: I just applied for this offer and there is only a range for revenue 0-49,999. So hopefully will not raise an eyebrow :) Good suggestion for taking it slow over the 3 months. I will heed that advice.

PedroNY

Level 2 Member
You telling me a "catering order" at your local grocery store for $20,238 wouldn't fly? ;)

Cheers,

PedroNY

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
This is an old thread but I thought I'd post my experience after getting a card during the most recent 150K offer. After activating my new card on the day it arrived, I decided to use it to take advantage of the "Spend $300, Save $30" OM/OD offer that expires today. The first two transactions (6 $100s + a small item in the first purchase; 6 $100s in the second purchase) went through fine. The third purchase at another OM for 3 $200s required me to call in and confirm it was me making the purchase. The call was fully automated. The final attempt to buy 3 more $200s was declined.

I called in and was transferred to someone in Fraud. She was overseas and after a lengthy hold, said she "couldn't get into the record" or perhaps "the record was locked" and that someone would call me within 72 hours.

A bit worried, I shared this privately with a few folks and the consensus was I was about to get a financial review. The fact that the person couldn't access the info to clear the fraud alert was the basis for the speculation, as well as other peoples' experiences when they made big purchases using a brand new card.

This morning I received both an email and a voicemail from Amex. When I called in, it was very simple. I had to key in the code on the account (like a pin; it must have been selected with another Amex card since I never set one for this account; luckily I used my usual PIN and it worked), and then provide the CSR who came on the line with my business phone number and business address.

I was not asked what I bought or why, and the gentleman was very apologetic. I told him that I had gone to the second store since I'd wanted to buy more items after the store ran out with my purchases. I said that I often batch my errands and shopping. Would this just happen again if I do multiple big purchases on the same day? Here's what I learned:

1) Does calling in ahead of time help; that is, advising them I was about to make a big purchase or multiple purchases. The answer is: NO! "It is all," he said, "done by computers." He explained that a note added to the account will not stop the computers from jumping on something they interpret as questionable. "In the old days," he said, "we could notate the account. Now it makes no difference."

2) The multiple charges at two stores in quick succession was what tripped it up and then the concern on the part if the human who looked at it was that someone other than me had applied for and was now using the card.

3) He suggested I download the Amex app which will allow quick confirmation that I am me and that the charge is OK.

4) It will not happen this way again because this time they were concerned that someone other than me had applied for the card and was using it. Any future decline at the register should be quickly correctable via the app or by calling in. I won't have to await a call back. But whether or not a charge goes through is up to "the computers."

5) The operators in Wherever, Overseas - I don't know the airport code ;) - are told to say "72 hours" but Amex tries to contact the card holder much more quickly. This kind of issue is something that must be researched by someone above the overseas operators' pay grade and so they are just reading from a script.

So, some of the speculation based on the wording the overseas CSR used was not right (for example, "can't get into the record" indicates a FR is coming). I was berating myself for not calling in beforehand, but that apparently makes no difference. The best way to avoid it completely would be not to do multiple transactions.

And no, I am not on my way to OM to buy those VGCs! After the stress around this from yesterday - Yikes! a FR? Really? - I'd rather have a break than save the money! The minimum spend will just have to wait.

Be careful out there!

Last edited:

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Nice post. Any idea what this PIN is or how to set it up ahead of time? I don't recall doing this on any of my AMEX cards.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I think this is Personal Security Key (I set one up a long long time ago for one of my first AmEx) ... Try calling 1-888-654-0019.

EDIT: each personal & business card should have its own PSK -- this is used by AmEx to authenticate cardholders when calling into the VRU/Customer Service.

Last edited:

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I just recently got the AMEX 100k platinum personal. When I set up the online account it prompted me to set a pin. Not sure if it's the same for the business version but worth checking.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
To ElainePDX experience - my husband got the AMEX SPG. One charge of $1,011.90 of "groceries" went through with no problem. After that on regular spend - three times he had to call in because they had blocked the charges. Each time they told him it was fixed. Then he asked for a Supervisor - she said "lots" of fraudulent activity on the card - at which point I jumped on the computer to look at transactions. Nothing wrong there - just basic spend. He told them to get their act together or he would go to another card. As I cringed in the background :eek:. Bought a pricey mattress set the next day - no problem.

My point - we were mainly regular spending and he still got flagged. They told him to get the app also.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
@InstinctX - Yes, that is what it was called, a Personal Security Key. But I have not set up online access for the new card yet and don't recall being asked to pick one during the phone app. Apparently at some time in the past I set something up for some Amex card, since the PIN I use most often worked. At first I thought they meant the 4 digit code imprinted on Amex cards, but when that didn't work I tried the combo I usually use.

@Suzie - The impression I got from the CSR is that Amex computers use some algorithm when evaluating charges and that is what flags some charges. I doubt that the amount to be charged is categorized at all - rather it reviews the amount, the location, whether there have been a series of charges in a short time, and other such factors. Based on the algorithm, the charge goes through, the register instructs the cardholder to call in, or the charge is declined. Not sure if at the time the charge is going through if Amex knows just the amount, or if it gets any codes representing what items are being purchased. I have seen some posts speculating that Amex does have access to data indicating the nature of the purchase(s). But whether they access that data when approving a charge is beyond my pay grade!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Other than the one large "grocery" purchase, our purchases were for gas, inexpensive restaurants, macys - all mundane, local purchases. We always mix up the spend on new cards. That's why the fraud alerts were so surprising and annoying. I hope this doesn't mean we too might be getting a FR. :(

Suzie

Level 2 Member
When hubby called in and spoke to supervisor he told her that we would be purchasing a mattress of several thousand dollars and he wanted to make sure the charge went through. So I thought that might be the reason for no fraud alert. Haven't tried it since as the mattress met our spend! :D

pstravels

Level 2 Member
Anyone have a RSVP code for the 150k offer? I will pay you...pm me. I know the one that went out on the blogs. If you have a different one please message me thank you.

littlenemo

Laughing Coffin Member
Just applied yesterday for a targeted 100K after $10K spend in 90 days and was approved.

Today, in the mail I get another targeted offer: 100K after $10K spend in 90 days. Then afterwards, if you spend anther $10K in the same period, earn another 50K MR points.

I'm gonna call Amex and see if they can match.

Last edited:

MarkD

Level 2 Member
For those that got in on the 150K offer (100K for $10K spend + 50K for the next 10K spend), did your 100K points post immediately after hitting the spend or after statement close?

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
For those that got in on the 150K offer (100K for $10K spend + 50K for the next 10K spend), did your 100K points post immediately after hitting the spend or after statement close?
I got mine a couple of days after meeting the spend.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Other than the one large "grocery" purchase, our purchases were for gas, inexpensive restaurants, macys - all mundane, local purchases. We always mix up the spend on new cards. That's why the fraud alerts were so surprising and annoying. I hope this doesn't mean we too might be getting a FR. :(
I've read a few times that mixing large and small purchases is similar to what many fraudsters do. I don't know any way to confirm it. But FWIW, seems like it could be true in my experience.

Kenme111

Level 2 Member
I got my card with the 150MR point offer for $20k spend back in May. Did $5k & $9.5k at SM on CG then mixed in ~$2k on a Bus trip to Asia and will finish the missing amount with additional SM CG today. Mixing in Asia Bus travel charges on new cards really helps mask the MS!