American Express Points-Best Usage Advice

paulros624

PaulRos624
I just received my 150,000 sign up bonus. Am I best using them domestically (maybe through BA) or can someone help me figure out a good way to get to Ireland with BA fuel charges. I think there is a way to use Aer Lingus? I am looking to go to Ireland for St. Patricks day, 2017. If this is problematic due to seat inventory, I don't mind finding a different payment method and using Amex points to travel domestically. First time Amex user so any advice is helpful.

agrippa472

Level 2 Member
MR isn't a good option for BA Avios anymore since the devaluation. Used to be 1:1 with decent transfer bonuses however it is now 200(BA):250(UR) transfer rate as listed on their site.

I used a bunch of MR points last year transferred to Aeroplan to fly Lufthansa First Class from FRA-LAX. That was a great time but the fuel surcharges definitely ran me up into $600 something for two tickets.
Aeroplan would be able to book star alliance tickets and transferring to Flying Blue would get you access to KLM/Air France and SkyTeam. KLM does also partner with Aer Lingus if you can figure out how to book that.

paulros624

PaulRos624
So you're saying, in theory...transferring to Flying Blue would allow me to book Aer Lingus at no or low fuel surcharges, right?

THANKS!

agrippa472

Level 2 Member
In theory? I honestly didn't even know KLM was a partner until I looked it up just a second ago. I did a quick search on KLM to figure out how to book on Aer Lingus but I didn't find anything.

agrippa472

Level 2 Member
Sorry looks like I might be leading you astray. I don't think you'll be able to book Aer Lingus with KLM.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I know most people say that Delta is a waste of points, but if the availability is there, they can be a decent value. Fees look to be $45.16 per ticket, mileage looks like anywhere from 68.5K-130K RT.

Hanaleiradio

Level 2 Member
Transfer MR to SQ, and then use the SQ points to book United nonstops from US gateways at 55k roundtrip coach or 130k business. SQ does not charge fuel surcharges on United.

Also, may find availability on Delta when the schedule opens.

benjie1305

Level 2 Member
MR > SQ is probably some of the best business one can do when it comes to transfers. SQ just gives you so many options in the premium travel world.