American Airline flight delayed

floridaboy44

Level 2 Member
I am at the airport now and our current flight was delayed due to a mechanical issue with the plane. They found a new plane but we will be delayed about 45 minutes. Is this cause to get some AA miles for the delay?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I am at the airport now and our current flight was delayed due to a mechanical issue with the plane. They found a new plane but we will be delayed about 45 minutes. Is this cause to get some AA miles for the delay?
For a 45m delay? Probably not. You can always ask but I highly doubt they'll give you anything. I recently had a 4.5hr delay and they emailed me shortly after arrival offering 4k miles as a goodwill gesture to give them another chance. I've complained in the past about a 5-6hr delay and received 5k miles.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Depends on where you are, if you are eligible for compensation.

But 45 min--probably no compensation, anywhere. If you are coming from the EU, check their regs for the amount in euros for longer delays, though. It's good to have that in mind.

volker

Level 2 Member
If you are in Europe get yourself familiar with the European air passenger rights. But you don't get anything for 45min.
Code:
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Google "EU regulations flight delays" from anywhere in the world, and you can print out the form to submit.

Be patient and be persistent. It took Daughter and her family a LONG time to get the money from Air France when they were delayed over 4 hours, coming here. You may have to contact the French Consulate for assistance, or national regulators for whatever country the airline is licensed in.

Jonny Five

Level 2 Member
A 45 minute delay is certainly worth a complaint email. I've sent in complaint emails many times and received $75 compensations quite a bit. Just tell them the level of communication was unacceptable, and that your plans at your destination were disrupted due to the delay.

smittytabb

Staff member
No. It happens all the time. I've gotten miles for delays over 6 hours, but that was in the aftermath of the bankruptcy. Doubt it would today. Don't waste your time.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I had a flight cancelled with United due to the weather so I never went after anything. I thought about it though because it wasn't that planes couldn't fly through that weather, it was that that particular plane was too small to. They rebooked me on a different airline but by the time I landed at my destination, the car rental place (that I prepaid) was already closed. I had to pay for a cab to get a room for the night and then another cab back to the airport to pick up my car. Mind you I had somewhere to be early that day. I was beyond pissed. Anyways, should they have given me some type of compensation or was I right that it was beyond their control due to weather.

smittytabb

Staff member
Maybe I am jaded, but I've flown somewhere between 100K and 200K miles each of the last five years and things being described here happen a good bit. I save my complaints for bigger things. One of my daughters is a lawyer and writes to complain pretty much every time something goes wrong at all. Have never asked her if how it has gone. AA used to be more responsive than they are right now. If I wrote every time something went wrong, there would be a note in my file.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I used to fly a lot, on relatively short hops, for my work. Over 50K miles/year for three years in a row. The number of times I was late getting home, or got to my hotel at 11PM when the flight was SUPPOSED to land at 4? Can't count.

But, like Smitty, I limited my complaints to zero maid service, not even emptying the wastebasket, and having the evening manager shrug it off, rather than offer to bring me clean towels and empty the wastebasket.

If there was a mechanical delay, back then, you got a voucher for food in the airport, and maybe a $100 voucher for the airline. Not so much today.