Advice needed on when to purchase tickets

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
So, we need to take a little trip (live overseas, wife needs to keep that green card alive). Our dates are not very flexible, but we have a little flexibility (have about a week and a half window for a 3-4 day trip) at the end of September. Prices have gone up since I looked a month ago, from 303 USD each (2x adult, 1x child) to 424-600 each.

My original plan was to apply for the Ink, and use this trip as part of the 5k min spend. I've gotten the CSP and Freedom recently (already met min spend) and Arrival+ (also met spend already). Credit score has dropped to 691-712 (depending on who is providing the score). I was going to wait another month or two before trying for the Ink. I also have a possible business trip coming up at the end of the year that could get me up to 3k in free spend, but there is no guarantee on getting the trip or specific timing of it.

Options I see:

1. Buy tickets now, don't take the risk that they will be going up in price. Lose out on possible 1k spend on the Ink.

2. Apply for Ink now, then buy the tickets as soon as it arrives. Possibly risking the 3k free spend.

3. Keep the original plan, wait until next month, get the Ink then get the tickets (right around the 3 week out mark).

Without these planned big spends, I think I can hit the min spend on the Ink if I move 100% of my normal spending over to it. Where I live MS opportunists don't exist, but there are some options for forward spend (I can float 1-2k without worry).

Suggestions?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
  1. Why does option 2 risk the $3K in free spend?
  2. No airline miles to use for this trip, if the prices are increasing the value of miles does also...
  3. You're overseas?

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
  1. Why does option 2 risk the $3K in free spend?
  2. No airline miles to use for this trip, if the prices are increasing the value of miles does also...
  3. You're overseas?

1. Timing, if they give me the go ahead I'll have 2-4 weeks to make arrangements and pay. Risk is that it could fall outside the 3 month period, they could say at the end of November go.

2. Saving miles for a big trip next summer. Because it crosses zones I can use those miles for a much longer trip for the same millage cost.

3. Yes, I live in Asia right now.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Tough call, but I would take the card now (applications/score not withstanding) and put the current spend on it for these flights... it would mean about $1500-2000 covered.

Worst case, if your biz trip is delayed, float the $1-2K you can handle via Kiva, and the balance, which could be as low as $1000 maybe you could just pay 3% rates for?

If you can 'really' handle the float on Kiva you might also do it off the bat on a mix of 6 month loans.

NotYouTu

Level 2 Member
Denied for Chase Ink on recon, reason cited was too many recent accounts, but didn't sound like the new 5 cards/24mo rule. Said we want to see how you handle them before we extend any more credit, or open new cards.

Might try calling again... though I have opened a number of cards recently. CSP, Freedom, Korean Air (closing at AF), and Arrival+ (probably closing at AF) in the last ~4 months. I have 3 cards that are older, hadn't applied for anything in years.