Added Raise To The Gift Card Churning Toolbox

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member

A couple weeks ago, I tweeted that I joined Raise’s bulk selling program.

Guess who’s a bulk seller @RaiseMarket? This guy!! Super excited

— Chasing The Points (@ChasingThePts) March 2, 2015

I am here to write my thoughts about Raise.

Scratching The Surface Thoughts:

Raise is an interesting business model, it’s like an eBay marketplace, but exclusively for gift cards. The following several statements are based off of my experience from selling electronic gift certificates. My bulk sales manager/partner advised me the physical gift cards are the same way, except Raise will cover the postage and you will mail it out to the customer.

Like all of the exchanges, Raise has a variable commission for all of the brands gift cards.

My initial misconception about Raise was the 15% commission sale of every gift card, so I want to take that back. I got it wrong. The 15% commission is if you’re selling onesie twosie gift cards, for the non bulk seller. The bulk rates varying with the A list brands of gift cards, brands that have residual values of 88%+ are the A list brands are anywhere from 6 to 8% commission on the sale price. You, the seller, determines the sale price. Here’s an example of Kroger

Someone is pricing a bunch of Kroger gift cards at 2.5% off and likely someone else is pricing at 1.5% off. Besides setting your prices, the biggest difference that I’ve noticed with Raise is how advanced they are compared to the other gift card exchanges. I was reading this article on Inc about Andrew Mason, former CEO of Groupon (emphasis mine):

Mason now also has a considerable disdain for that oft-heard Silicon Valley idea that startups should be driven by data.

And Raise falls squarely within the Silicon Valley idea of startups about data. With Cardpool and GiftCard Zen, I’ve had to ask for reports on my sales numbers and do some number crunching.

In a matter of about three weeks, I’ve sold over $3,500 on Raise and a couple thousand more that’s still listed, pending a sale. It took me months with the other exchanges because at the time I was still “growing” and figuring things out.

Where Raise Excels:

Raise is great if all you do is sell A list branded gift cards because then you control the sale price and people are snapping up gift cards as low as 1% off and offers competitive rates similar to GiftCard Zen and Cardpool. Remember how I mentioned Raise is advanced? In the next screenshot below you will see that they have scripts in the background that automatically check the gift card balance for verification. I like that! You don’t need to hire an intern doing menial work to check a gift card balance. This will lower the SG&A expenses.https://saverocity.com/chasingthepoints/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2015/03/raise_commission_target2.png

Where Raise Doesn’t Shine:

I had a little back and forth with my sales partner on the Raise commission. It confused the heck out of me. It kept displaying the non bulk price, but if you’re locked in as a bulk seller then you’ll receive the bulk commissions.

Notice in the screenshot above, it has 167.45 that I would receive, it’s after the 15% from $197. I don’t like how opaque the system is and I have made a couple of requests for a chart of commissions so I can do my homework and see what gift cards are good for churning, but rates are with their Analytics team. This is where Cardpool and Giftcard Zen really shine are with the more transparent rates. You have to have faith in the system that it will work correctly like Delta and their award chart.

What Makes Raise Unique:

This part caught me by surprise when I first started with Raise. Raise never puts out any of their money for the gift cards that are listed on the website. Both Cardpool and GiftCard Zen accepts all liability with the cards in that they will pay you for the gift cards and accept it as inventory. Raise does not do that. Because of this feature, I find myself obsessively checking Raise to see if someone bought my gift card or not. With Cardpool and GiftCard Zen, it’s almost like a set it and forget it. That being said, if you can’t float your money, you should not sell on Raise. The velocity in which you are able to sell your gift cards on Cardpool and GiftCard Zen is amazing, as soon as you submit the cards, payments are near next day and you can continue the cycle.

Final Thoughts:

There are no clear winners for the three exchanges that I have sold on. All three have their quirks and nuances that make them who they are. If I were to touch upon the qualitative aspects, I think Raise and Giftcard Zen are the winners, it’s easy to reach a single point of contact and have a decent email exchange. Cardpool is getting better, but not quite there. Quantitative aspects, all three are similar with Cardpool being at the bottom only because that’s the only place I can put Cardpool. The bulk sales system Cardpool has, you’d need an intern because they don’t have any upload feature.

But that’s fine with me, because I actually do not use Cardpool’s bulk sales order form because I’m trying to create as many orders as possible to create the free expedited postage.

Continue reading...

labboypro

Chief Factotum
Thanks for the analysis. I've long been a Raise customer as a buyer, and have recently done some onesy-twosy selling there as well. But the HUGE cut they take for hosting the venue is a painful pill. I had hoped to do some arbitrage with some of the more volatile brands (Macy's, for example, swings wildly between 10-25% on an almost daily basis), but after their huge cut, there's just nothing left for me. I don't know where to begin the research (other than the few posts like yours I've stumbled on), but I'd like to find out more about turning a larger volume of cards, but based on what I (don't) know now, it's just a losing proposition. I currently turn Sears into Amazon at 8-10% discount by converting in store (which could evaporate any day), but poof... all my margin disappears with commissions... so I've just become an end user for deals like these. I end up with discounted AMZN's for my own consumption. If you have any pointers you'd like to share, I'd appreciate them.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of converting Sears into AMZN gift cards, try converting into gas gift cards like Shell or BP they are >90% on the exchanges, especially at the 10% discount level you are able to get. This way you'll be MS for free

labboypro

Chief Factotum
AMZN was just an example, but even selling at 99% of face value (Shell, AMZN, whatever), I'm losing 6-ish % per trans, not including time cost (which I'm willing to consider "free" to a point). Again, example only... buy Sears, convert to AMZN at 10% savings, sell at 99% less huge commission to Raise... lose money. Clearly I'm missing something from a plan that makes this feasible.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
You want to take the gas gift cards from Sears and sell on Cardpool or Giftcard Zen because their commission rates are less than Raise
Of course, but your post was an analysis that included 'benefits' of selling with Raise. And I couldn't get any math to work for Raise that was anything less than a money pit.

BTW, I'm currently able to cycle prepaid V/MCs without issue and actually profit, so I see no value in cycling Shell (or whatever) GC's for no profit... the only back-end benefit (for me) would be if I were buying them with Ink at SODOM, and I can just by V/MCs there and accomplish the same thing without having to sit on inventory at Cardpool.

I guess I was looking for a little more "how to" from the thread that doesn't appear to be forthcoming. I suppose if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Thanks anyway.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
There's no one sized fits all model to MS. There's ways like yours that works and other opportunities, all part of the game to evolve
Again, of course. Your post initially gave me the impression there was room for discussion and sharing of ideas. I must have been mistaken because I'm not seeing any meaningful content coming my way in this discussion. That's fine if you don't want to share details, but it does beg the question why you'd bother teasing us with such a detailed (is it?) analysis of a sliver of the GC churn game if you didn't want us to know about it.

Thanks anyway. I'll unsub this thread now and look elsewhere.

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member
If you were coming in with an expectation of spoon feeding that is not happening, especially not in an area that's opened for the public.

There is room for discussion regarding gift card churning utilizing Raise, which is what this thread is about.

Someone

Level 2 Member
@labboypro - you have to keep in mind that ChasingThePoints is talking about being a bulk seller and paying lower commissions, thus generating a higher profit. Since Raise isn't terribly transparent about those reduced commissions, it's pretty hard for him to tell you anything more.

Also, I've noticed that CTP is willing to operate on what I'd consider razor-thin margins in his efforts to literally "chase points"

I for one appreciate reading this kind of analysis, @ChasingThePoints, since no one else posts about being a bulk seller and what sort of advantages it brings - keep up the good work!