*A within Europe

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I would like to book Iasi (IAS) to VIE, then VIE to CPH and Austrian has this. I would like a 2 day stopover in VIE so I assume I will have to book as 2 awards, but I am super unfamiliar with *A and their partner awards, who is cheap, who allows 1 way stopovers, etc.

United shows award availability on this in business class (not necessary though) but of course allows no stopovers.

Any suggestions? I would pay, but it is like $600-700 so I'll pass on that option.

Many thanks.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I have a similar question on the best *A programs to use for intra-EU flights. Specifically, VIE-ZRH and JTR-ZRH. oneworld options are less than desirable at the moment.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to book Iasi (IAS) to VIE, then VIE to CPH and Austrian has this. I would like a 2 day stopover in VIE so I assume I will have to book as 2 awards, but I am super unfamiliar with *A and their partner awards, who is cheap, who allows 1 way stopovers, etc.

United shows award availability on this in business class (not necessary though) but of course allows no stopovers.

Any suggestions? I would pay, but it is like $600-700 so I'll pass on that option.

Many thanks.
What miles are you planning to use?

smittytabb

Staff member
Just a reminder that Business class in Europe is basically the coach seat with a seat blocked next to you. May not be worth it although the food is better and if you like to spread out, it is fine, but not special or all that different from coach.

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I will use anything I can transfer to. I have enough Amex MR, Chase UR, and Citi TYPs to get to 20-40K in whatever program I can get a good value. I just need coach. I understand it may be 2 separate awards. The flights are less than 2 hours each.

m124

Level 2 Member
I will use anything I can transfer to. I have enough Amex MR, Chase UR, and Citi TYPs to get to 20-40K in whatever program I can get a good value. I just need coach. I understand it may be 2 separate awards. The flights are less than 2 hours each.
I think the best bet would be to book with the UR/TYP travel portal. You don't pay additional taxes/fees and you earn miles too.

Random rates in September, two separate tickets:

IAS-VIE
VIE-OTP (throwaway)
13,784 UR or TYP points on OS (if you have Citi Prestige, the amount of TYP will be even lower)

VIE-CPH on SAS, 7,272 points
or, if the SAS flight does not operate that day:
VIE-CPH
TXL-VIE(throwaway) on OS, 10,576 UR points.

Checked bags fees may be extra.

HTH!

niehaubs

Level 2 Member
I always check one way prices, I never think to check round trip where I dump the return. Thanks.