A Question Regarding Amex Membership Points

v4vainglory

So recently, I was in the process of applying for an American Express Preferred Gold consumer card. While I was doing this, I was trying to look around at other options, because the card application had a process; and in that process was a detailed benefits description section. This is where I paused, so I could compare perks with other cards to make sure that this was the best one for me.
I can't quite remember in detail because this happened about a week ago, but while I was doing a quick sweep of the credit cards, (at this time I had no idea what the difference between charge cards and other cards were, and still kinda don't) I clicked 'Apply' on the Delta Platinum credit card. Reason being, out of the other credit cards I skipped through, the benefits of this card seemed the most questionable (especially for a platinum card). I got curious as to what the detailed description might add.
I was thinking that clicking that link would take me through the same process, into a similar page, with more defined info, but it automatically applied me for the credit card (or something along those lines), and it was on its way to me in 2-3 business days. There was no window, or if there was it was brief and unlike the other application.I could have never known that was going to happen (once again, due to my assumption that the process was going to be mirror-like to the gold premier application process).
Anyways I have these 2 cards now, and I see really no future with the Delta Plat. Mainly because it would be practically impossible for me to get the annual double medallion perk. Also there is an annual fee on that card. But as I was further reading up on the Gold premier reward faqs they state, "If you have more than one card account linked to your Membership Rewards program account, the value of the points you receive will be determined using the Card that provides the highest point value."
Also prior to that, they state, "Eligible cards must be in good standing to enroll in the program (the rewards program) Your enrollment in the program may be canceled if any of your Linked card accounts are not in good standing."
And Just before that, they state, " Please note that if you already have a Card enrolled in Membership Rewards, when you enroll a Business Charge or Credit Card, the Cards may be Automatically Linked.)
My questions are:
- Does this mean that all reward points I get on one of the cards (the lesser used) would not count for anything in the end?
- Also, if somewhere along the way I want to just cancel the Platnum, would I be putting my accumulated points of the gold premier card at risk?
-Should I cancel my Delta Plat right now?

And sorry for the poor grammar guys, I am just getting back into writing and it's making me want to sound more sophisticated and stuff. It'll get better. I'm studying writing again.

Evan MArks

- Does this mean that all reward points I get on one of the cards (the lesser used) would not count for anything in the end?
Delta earns Delta Skymiles, the PRG earns Membership Rewards points,

- Also, if somewhere along the way I want to just cancel the Platnum, would I be putting my accumulated points of the gold premier card at risk?
No - They are 2 different programs
Id spend the $1000, get your 35000 skymiles and ensure they get to your delta account. Then either cancel or downgrade to the gold card

v4vainglory

Delta earns Delta Skymiles, the PRG earns Membership Rewards points,

No - They are 2 different programs
Id spend the $1000, get your 35000 skymiles and ensure they get to your delta account. Then either cancel or downgrade to the gold card
The sign up bonus isn't spend $1000 to earn skymiles. It is spend at least $25000 in a year and it will double, or something along those lines.

K

Kevin Piercy

The sign up bonus isn't spend $1000 to earn skymiles. It is spend at least $25000 in a year and it will double, or something along those lines.
What? It clearly says on the Amex site that after $1000 spend (in 3 months) you will receive 5,000 MQMs and 35,000 bonus miles (regular SkyPesos).

1. All points gained on any of the Amex cards that earn MR will be available to use under the same MR program as long as you still have one of those cards. If you want to earn MR points and keep them without a fee then just get an Amex Everyday card (not the preferred version). You can sign up for the PRG (Premier Rewards Gold) and earn the same MR points like with the Everyday card. If you don't feel like paying for the annual fee for the PRG then you can cancel that and not lose any points as long as you keep the Everyday card.
2. Amex has a number of different earning cards like the Delta cards and the SPG cards. Delta earns Delta miles and SPG earns SPG points. Amex Platinum, PRG, Everyday Preferred, and Everyday all earn Amex MR points.
3. You should spend the $1000 on your Delta card to get the bonus and cancel it before the annual fee pops up. Should show up around the second statement.