9-3-2014 Staples – Office Depot Merger? Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10″ for $397 with potential for...

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member
You could have made 8% at Staples yesterday. No, not by reselling or manufactured spend. By actually owning the stock.

Apparently the reason the stock popped is that a Credit Suisse analyst was strategizing that Staples should buy rival OfficeDepotMax on the theory that somehow that would make them more competitive with Amazon. I guess they have not shopped at OfficeMax or Office Depot post merger, as I think they basically stopped competing when that merger was announced.

Obviously, less competition in this space wouldn’t be good for reselling, ink reselling, etc,

I don’t think there’s much chance of it happening, but turns out Staples and Office Depot tried to merge in 1996 but it was blocked by the FTC.

CNN has the story here.

$397 Samsung Galaxy Tab S w/ potential $100 in points back.

Ok, here is another one for the daring. Per this slickdeals thread, there was a deal for Samsung Galaxy S for $397 plus up to $100 in SYW points back.

The deal is not working on the Sears website, but as of the time of this post was available through the mobile site. I was able to place an order, although after I logged in the points dropped to $15 from $115 since I had received the $100 bonus before.

Caveats: If you have already received the $100 bonus for the Galaxy Tab S you will likely not get the $100 points. There is a chance that this will get cancelled since the offer was removed from the main site, but my order was successfully placed with an order number and expected delivery date.

Also, you will not get cash back or bonus points through portals, but if you already had some Sears gift cards or a large SYW balance this is a great way to burn them.

But hopefully you can get the tablet for $397 + tax with $100+ in points back. How good a deal is that? The Amazon price is $496. No you can’t sell as new, but the cheapest used ones are $420 and the cheapest prime one currently over $450.

Here is the mobile site link

Here is the slickdeals posting

Continue reading...