8-27-14 The death of Evolve Money…

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member
I was a fan of Evolve money, up until about an hour ago. The service allows you to pay a fair number of billers online that you would normally not be able to pay with a debit card. Companies like mortgage companies, auto finance companies, utilities, etc.

I wrote a guide to using Evolve Money here.

Previously Evolve had set limits of $1000 per day, and 4 transactions per month per biller. So not ideal, but you could pay large bills like mortgages even splitting them up over several debit cards.

Now this useful service is being diluted to the point of near uselessness.

I received an ominously titled email “Important Changes to Limits in Evolve Money”

Here is the text:

Dear Evolve Money Customer,

Due to changes in our risk and regulatory compliance policies, Evolve Money will be implementing a limit of one payment per biller account per month. This change takes effect September 1, 2014. There are no limits on the number of cash payments made with a Reloadit pack or Evolve Pay Bucks.

We realize that some of our users have taken advantage of the multiple payments per month to pay off larger expenses such as mortgages. We are currently working on ways to improve the bill paying experience for you and expect to announce details soon.

The Bill Payment Transaction Limits section of our End User License Agreement has been updated to reflect this change. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please feel free to contact us at support@evolvemoney.com with any questions.

Sincerely,

The Evolve Money Team
So there you have it… one payment per month.. $500 per biller max with debit cards.
So unless someone can point me to a store selling reloadits that takes credit cards (no HTs near me, HD won’t allow it,), then you’re dead to me Evolve Money.
Make those last payments while you can… I suspect those “ways to improve the bill paying experience for you” will involve fees. Google Wallet all over again..
Don’t like the title? Well Evolve Money Devolves was already done..

Continue reading...