5-8-15 Reselling Post Redbird – My Amex Bus. Plat 150k – Something to Buy at Sears – Use...

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member

Reselling Post Redbird

Nothing has changed. That was what we in the industry call “clickbait”. Actually I never got around to switching one of my Bluebirds over to Redbird, so I’ve never loaded one at Target with a credit card, and I guess I never will. Now that would have come in handy for one of the following items (wait for it.. this will be kind of a circular post)

Officemax $20 off $300 in gift cards promo.

This one has been going on since 5/3. Basically pay $580 to get $600 worth of gift cards and pocket 3000 points with your Chase Ink card. This would be great except…

I hit my $50k annual spend on Chase Ink and it doesn’t reset until June 1st

Well, this timing sure sucks with the OfficeMax promo… or perhaps it could be a blessing… how, you ask?

My Amex 150k Bus. Platinum Card

After reading this post from MilesPerDay I commented in the post and he sent an RSVP code for a very generous Amex offer for the prestigious Amex Business Platinum Card, 100k MR points for $10k spend in 90 days, 150k MR points for $20k spend in 90 days (which would be 170k points including the spending).

By the way, I am really enjoying the content on that blog, and recommend you check it out as well. He did have a post on how to spend $20k in 90 days which involved heavy use of a Redbird card, but since that post was written on April 25th, that ship has already sailed in the fast moving MS game..

My plan to hit $20k in spend in 90 days

Well, I’m certainly trying to hit that OfficeMax gift card promo with my new Amex Bus. Platinum. While this card would ordinarily not be optimal over the Chase Ink, it sure makes sense with a 8.5x multiple (170k for $20k spend). So I hit Office Depot with the Amex 3 times in the last 24 hours, so that’s a nice almost $1800 spend in the first two days. Only problem was that required visiting 4 different OfficeMaxDepot stores… and only 2 had them in stock. Now, I have to admit the Livonia store was a bit optimistic given that it’s getting closer to the lairs of other SE Michigan based bloggers… and sure enough that one was bone dry

Looks like I may need a backup plan…

My backup plan to hit $20k in spend in 90 days

Ok, let’s assume I won’t be able to make 20+ more trips to Officemax in the next week with the $20 promo and would like to maximize returns on my minimum spending. Well, I did just write a post asking whether Jet.com could be the ultimate tool to meeting minimum spend requirements. So I’m testing it out… I place an order for $2k worth of merchandise from Jet.com. I expect to retail this for $2.4k on Amazon, for about a $400 profit after Amazon fees. Even if there are returns or I don’t quite get the prices I want, I should be coming out well ahead on that spend.

So I’m up to about $4k spend in 3 days…

Not bad, just $16k to go in 87 days. $2k is already used for money orders and bill pay so we’ll just rinse and repeat till we get it.

Use those Staples epromo certificates!

They expire on 5/9 I think. I ordered the Dell 2215h monitor, used a $25 off $75 coupon from cn-usa.com and 4 $20 epromo certs and it was about $10 to put on another card (like an Amex Bus. Platinum).

Something worth buying at Sears!

Look for the Slingbox M1 and the Slingbox 500. I used shopyourway points to bring my balances down. Limited to 2 and 1 per order respectively, but at $70 and $139 priced much lower than Amazon.

Continue reading...