4-22-15 Staples $100 off Computer Coupon; Staples $20 epromo on $100, Whatever happened to...

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member

My Ink card has been overheating this week.

First, Staples runs a gift card promotion with $20 off $300 on Visa/Mastercard gift cards. Then a 5x portal bonus through United Mileage Plus shopping.

Then a monster 8x portal bonus with Alaska

Now the famed YMMV $100 off computer coupon per the Staples coupon page.

Obviously, the effectiveness of this coupon depends on what’s in stock at your store.

Key note on the $499 minimum purchase requirement

The coupon works on any computers (even sale ones) where the regular price is shown as $499 or more. Obviously, the sale ones are the ones to get. Some cashiers or managers take a stricter view and say that you can’t use this on sale items. If you politely ask them to try it, it should work at the register, however if they won’t try it you are probably best served trying another Staples or coming back at a different time. Even though the email clearly states to “Take an EXTRA $100 off” and it works at the register, the coupon wording says “Minimum purchase requirement must be met with purchases to which no other coupon or instant savings offer applies”, and if you look at the sales tags they are often called instant savings instead of the more commonly known term of “on sale”

But I’m not kidding when I say the Ink card has been building up a balance with all of the recent Staples activity. The gift cards cycle fast but the Alaska deal only ended yesterday so I still need to get the orders, send to Amazon, and get paid. Normally like to pace Staples Ink purchases and supplement with discounted gift cards since there is a $50k limit on Ink on Office Supplies, but who can say no to 13x points per dollar?

Staples $20 epromo card with $100 Staples egiftcard purchase

Ah, ok, this could be a solution to a maxed out Ink card. I’ll take an effective 16.67% discount (what? you thought it was 20% – that’s marketing for ya) over the 5 points per dollar with Chase Ink. Too bad there is a two item limit.

This is run through CashStar so it will not code as an Office Supply purchase (e.g., use any credit card you like).

Here is a link to the site (staples.cashstar.com):

Full terms on cashstar.com, The key terms for me are:.

• The epromo code is sent on 4/29/15 – e.g., AFTER the egift card itself
  • It is only valid from 4/29-5/13 so you are betting that there will be something good at Staples then. I’ll take that bet (its not like it’s Sears…). Sometimes if you get it earlier you can try it earlier
  • Terms say only one epromo code per transaction (not sure if this is enforced…)
  • Good in store or online.
Topcashback 2.25% on American Express Business Gift cards

This is just a heads up on the off chance you haven’t heard. It’s covered extensively on other blogs like Frequent Miler.

Whatever happened to Jet.com?

As you recall, my final standing of #41 in the Jet.com insider campaign fell short of willing 100,000 or 10,000 options and ensuring my financial security for life (assuming it is eventually successful, and the options aren’t for an obscure b-share of non-voting stock that gets diluted away)

They did list the winners here, and not surprisingly, there were two much more popular bloggers in the top 10 (thepennyhoarder.com and hip2save.com), In fact, both of these personal savings blogs are more popular (per Alexa), then all of Saverocity.com, and even all of Boardingarea.com. Per the winners blog, the top winner had nearly 8,000 signups, so I still think any Kardashian could have won it with one tweet, maybe even Rob…

But anyway, if you signed up for the free trial thinking it was supposed to launch imminently its still on, the website says Spring 2015, and per a message I got a couple of weeks ago they are just “enhancing the shopping experience”. Phew, glad it is not a delay,

Anyway, I still should have a lifetime membership and am supposed to get beta access on 4/30. Interested to see how pricing compares to Amazon. I just hope they remember about the $200 to shop with that they promised…

Continue reading...