2016: AU/NZ via AA

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I am writing this post out of extreme frustration. I'm trying to plan a trip for 2 in premium class to AU/NZ prior to the horrid AA devaluation. I found return 1 F and 2 J awards available for AU->US via QF, and was going to do the outgoing trip US->AU or US->NZ via UR points. I had watched the availability like a hawk from 350->330 days out and saw that no one had touched it. I didn't want to transfer out all my points to BA to sit on the awards and then release them after they're made available via AA. Well, it wasn't available on AA.com, and I had called at midnight EST and then midnight CST to the phone line and they said they couldn't see availability yet as it hadn't been loaded into the system, but I could try the next morning. All day I've been monitoring those 3 seats via EF, KVS (BA), and checked AA.com a hundred times. I was going to make another set of calls at midnight EST, and then CST tonight. Earlier this evening the 1 F seat disappeared, and then just now the 2 J seats disappeared. What gives? the seat maps are still empty!!!

I know - I shouldn't have expectations for this route.

Last edited:

sriki

Level 2 Member
I know the feeling. I went through almost the same thing for 2015. What dates are looking at?

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
In terms of dates, basically whatever i can get i will take.

Was going for 10/25 syd-dfw 1F + 2J (was going to try to have either me or SO in F and the other in J)
surprisingy, some new availability popped up for mel-lax, bne-lax 2 in J. of course I can't seem to get AA.com to find them

I don't understand how QF awards don't load on AA for 330-331 days out, though i can find NZ<->AU saaver awards easily for those same days.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Called in and they were able to book syd-bne-lax in J but surprisingly even though there is 2J,1F availability for syd-mel-lax rep couldn't find it. She said plugging in the routes to her system found ZERO results from any AU city to any US city, so I had to feed her a bunch of flight #s until she could reserve it. I would have rather had the A380 vs B747, but I think it's probably just minor differences.

I don't understand how the AA<->QF communication can be this faulty. This is worse than BA's access to aer lingus' "archaic" system.

no lax-atl saaver availability except for coach/first aanytime, so adding that on will be pretty costly if any availability comes up, but will still be cheaper than a paid flight

F/U: Still seeing better flights from AU to US on BA, but unavailable to AA CSRs. Also - newbie error. award inventory for domestic US is not added in for AA until 329 days out. thank God for the 5-day hold.

Last edited:

SOC 787

Flight Club
keep in mind not all available space on QF is available to all partners... not to mention, QF has tons of partners who have access sooner and if these were low level awards, becoz of how rare they are, they could have been snapped up by a number of other programs FF folks.

SOC 787

Flight Club
they should but dunno about all of it. so if theres only 1 seat available to begin w, might not be available to AA. also keep in mind AA is going thru a lotta IT glitches right now as they update their system after the deval announcement.

AA has trouble seeing EY space lately for example and I'm sure many other partners. and a few other quirks, so it could be a matter of timing as well.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the info @SOC 787. If I can pull off a QF 1F 1J booking, does QF normally open up a 2nd F seat later on, especially if the seats aren't filled on revenue tix?

SOC 787

Flight Club
they dont, they are rly stingy for US routes... due to the abuse over the last several years by travel hackers in the US, I mean back in the day when they used to have lots of award availability it was snatched up by ppl w CC miles etc.

either way dont fret too much over QF, aint all that worth it. find another way there even if its longer or requires more miles from redemption.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the help SOC 787. I'm waiting for QF space to open up (not that hopeful) but as soon as it does I'll pounce on this!

bayguy

Level 2 Member
If AA US agents cant see award space, call their Australia call center. I was able to book 4 business class seats on Etihad from AUH-SFO for 2017 summer.