2-5-15 Hack my shave with Swipe Razor blades, Liam Neeson, A couple deals

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member

I hate spending money on razors. The blades are so darn expensive. $5 per cartridge for Gilette Fusion ($20 for 4) Really? Even if you buy 8 on Amazon its $32.54, or just over $4 per cartridge. Once again, it looks like I’m in the wrong business.

And if you try to save money with cheap knockoff blades (aptly manufactured by “GENERIC”), that often doesn’t work out well. These knockoffs may be slightly over half the price, but they only get 1 1/2 stars on Amazon. And you need to suck pretty hard to get only 1 1/2 stars on peoples reduced expectations when they are saving $20 on 8. And I don’t really want to subscribe to get razor blades with Dollar Shave Club, although that doesn’t seem like a terrible option if they are any good.

So when someone I knew from high school put a post on Facebook that his company was launching SWIPE blades at Costco I thought it would at least be worth checking out. After all, few if any stores vet their products as well as Costco. And the deal is pretty good:

So 24 cartridges plus the handle for the price of 8 replacement Fusion blades. That’s $1.46 per cartridge (ok, $1.55 with 6% tax). That’s smoking, if it shaves well… not to mention it has 6 blades vs. 5 for that puny Fusion.

AND IT SHAVES WELL!

I’ve only used it for about 4 days, but so far so good. It certainly seems to shave as well as the Gillette and Shick razors I had lying around (Swipe on the left…). Now, to be fair, I was basing the comparison on how I remember the Fusion and Shick blades when they were brand new because their refills were too damn expensive for me to buy new ones. And while I actually believe the Swipe edges out the Fusion for best shave, it really doesn’t matter because it’s so much cheaper and with 24 Swipe cartridges I won’t need any more razors for a long time..

Liam Neeson gets Revenge with Barbarians and Dragons

My kids enjoy the itunes / android game Clash of Clans which also has some entertaining videos with memorable quotes like “We’re going to need more barbarians”, “Larry, don’t touch that”, and “Did somebody say Hog Rider?”. I didn’t realize it was now big enough to be a Super Bowl commercial, but was entertained by it.

A couple deals

Ok, enough off topic stuff. There just aren’t that many deals right now. No great portal bonuses, and not much at Sears, Kmart, Staples, or Groupon that I haven’t already mentioned.

So here’s what I suggest if you are bored

• 1-800 Flowers promo for 1750 Southwest points. Frequent Miler covered how to work this here, I can’t add anything to his post. The code I received in email was RR43.
  • Dell has a 24-inch monitor plus a $100 dell egift card for $220. On sale for $220 at Amazon. Be careful with ordering too many, Dell doesn’t like resellers and may try not to pay the egift promo if it suspects you are a reseller. Details in this slickdeals post.
  • Microcenter has the older Ipad Air 32gb for $349. If you can find these at your local Best Buy or Staples they should price match. Sells for much higher on Amazon.
Continue reading...