128gb ipad air 2 - Cheapskate style

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
So I thought Matt was really on to something with the Cheapskate challenge. Congrats (lets see how this tag thing works) to @smittytabb for the win!!! It was really valuable to see the different approaches and easy to follow along for those of us that chose to. I thought I'd give it a try myself with the new Ipad. I'd share a few limiting factors specific to me but I don't think it'd be fair to ask that you work around my limitations, I have a ways to go giving back to this community before asking something like that. Instead, share whatever would work best for you so we can help in the best way possible for the most people.

The product I'm looking to get for personal use is the new Ipad air 2, 128gb. I need something light to travel with and my fullsize macbook pro isn't necessary. The 128gb is listed as 699.

It looks like targets promo for 140 dollars back in Target gc's is only for the 16gb which is too bad. Here's a couple Ideas I have so far:
Best Buy: 100 dollars off on Black Friday, and you can shop online. Shopping in store that day is out of the question (for me). Buy 600 dollars in gc's at grocery with OBC for 5% back (30 dollars) then go through shopdiscover for another 5% (30 dollars). Use synced amex card for 25 dollars (Unfortunately I only had one card at the time to sync - I'm prepared for the future now but yea, major blunder there) Get 600 reward points for 10 dollars back. Total = 195 dollars off for a final price of 505. *If you don't have OBC you could try and go through discover to try and buy gift cards at 5% back but not sure that'd work. @Frequent Miler laboratory shows that someone bought physical BB gc's through shopdiscover with cash + credit card but I'm not positive how that works.

Aside having synced more cards, anything else I'm missing? What would you do to maximize the purchase? I'm happy with a purchase at 505 dollars so how about this - If someone gives me a strategy that I use to save even more I'll donate the difference to a charity of your choice, in your name.

smittytabb

Staff member
So I thought Matt was really on to something with the Cheapskate challenge. Congrats (lets see how this tag thing works) to @smittytabb for the win!!! It was really valuable to see the different approaches and easy to follow along for those of us that chose to. I thought I'd give it a try myself with the new Ipad. I'd share a few limiting factors specific to me but I don't think it'd be fair to ask that you work around my limitations, I have a ways to go giving back to this community before asking something like that. Instead, share whatever would work best for you so we can help in the best way possible for the most people.

The product I'm looking to get for personal use is the new Ipad air 2, 128gb. I need something light to travel with and my fullsize macbook pro isn't necessary. The 128gb is listed as 699.

It looks like targets promo for 140 dollars back in Target gc's is only for the 16gb which is too bad. Here's a couple Ideas I have so far:
Best Buy: 100 dollars off on Black Friday, and you can shop online. Shopping in store that day is out of the question (for me). Buy 600 dollars in gc's at grocery with OBC for 5% back (30 dollars) then go through shopdiscover for another 5% (30 dollars). Use synced amex card for 25 dollars (Unfortunately I only had one card at the time to sync - I'm prepared for the future now but yea, major blunder there) Get 600 reward points for 10 dollars back. Total = 195 dollars off for a final price of 505. *If you don't have OBC you could try and go through discover to try and buy gift cards at 5% back but not sure that'd work. @Frequent Miler laboratory shows that someone bought physical BB gc's through shopdiscover with cash + credit card but I'm not positive how that works.

Aside having synced more cards, anything else I'm missing? What would you do to maximize the purchase? I'm happy with a purchase at 505 dollars so how about this - If someone gives me a strategy that I use to save even more I'll donate the difference to a charity of your choice, in your name.
I have the first iPad air, 128gb. It rocks. I recommend the Zagg keyboard to turn it into a very workable travel machine. I got mine right when it came out, so you are saving just by waiting a year!

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
Don't forget you could buy with Discover and Price Match to the BF price.

My new mini comes Monday and I went through SD for 5% back, got 1.1 points per dollar back in BB credits (I'm elite with BB, probably elite Plus by the end of the year), plus the 1% back from regular Discover use (including minor 5% online use that was left). Add in the $75 credit that I'll hopefully get for Price Matching and I'll be saving around $134 before selling my old malfunctioning iPad mini on Gazelle (or a service like it).

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
@smittytabb thanks for the recommendation, looks awesome. @PainCorp I just saw the thread on the Discover pricematch yesterday but looked into it further after your post. I may try that to ensure I get one plus I'll be able to get it before my trip next weekend! As for selling your old ipad, I've seen a lot of offers on trade-ins. Wonder if you'd get more that way? That's assuming you have something else to get I'd guess but for example, Best buy was offering a Minimum of 200 dollars for an old ipad but that ended Nov. 9th.

The only thing I could think of to get the cost lower would be to scoop up discounted gift cards but can't find any that would get more than 5%. I think they've been bought in preparation for BF! Going through SD may be worth it just for times sake.