1-23-15 Back To Reselling – Volume Limits, Multiple Store Accounts, Toy Blowout Deals at Lord...

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member
Let’s get back to trying to find some resale deals. As some of you note in the comments, it’s been kind of bone dry on the deals front. And when I’ve found something, it’s evaporated before I could write about it (for example I found a Wii U at Sears, but they only had one unit)

So let’s expand our horizons..

Volume Limits and Multiple Store Accounts

If you are like me, you hate volume limits. It sucks when you have a great deal, and then you can only buy 1, 2, 5 or whatever. It’s hard to find deals, and easier to scale a deal if you can then find new ones. And I’ve been tempted to set up multiple accounts at stores, but often decided against it as I’d rather not get blacklisted or banned like some people have. But on the other hand I’m sure many people are running fine with accounts for their spouse or other family members. So I’ll lay how I handle things at some stores, and please chime in with data points if you have multiple accounts, have been banned or blacklisted, whichever

Sears / Kmart / Shop Your Way

Sears usually has a per-item limit, most often 3 or 4. This is not a big deal, simply place additional orders. When I do this I typically wait for the first order to ship before ordering again, or simply repeat the same order day after day on good or great deals.

Sears often has a volume limit of 2 on their points deals. After you add more than two of the item to the cart, you only get the 1-2% in “normal” Shop Your Way points and not the bonus $40 or whatever is offered.

In the past, this wasn’t a huge deal because it seemed to be tied to the order, and not the Shop Your Way account. But now it is tied to the SYW account, and there have been times which I could have used a second (or third) account like the $100 bonus points on a Samsung Galaxy Tab. But even these lifetime item limits appear to be reset periodically

I haven’t pulled the trigger on multiple accounts at Sears I’ve tended to have large SYW points balances which I don’t want to risk if it isn’t really necessary. But this is one I’m thinking to try if there is a good deal.

Dell

Dell often has good deals on items with bonus epromo certificates. But we warned, there appears to be a limit of 10 epromo certificates which I’m not sure if it is annual or lifetime. And Dell hates resellers and will try to deny sending your epromo certificates if it thinks you are one, which of course would usually kill that deal.

Staples

I do have two Staples accounts, but was an accident and not a concious effort. With the shorter redemption periods on rewards you really have to stay on top of using them up and frankly it’s easier to deal with one.

There have been a fair number of Staples shutdowns, many have been for using coupons to buy gift cards when a coupon was miscoded. That is very high-risk.

Many Staples coupons are limited to one use, e.g., when you try to apply it in the card it says it was already used. You can get around these by checking out as a guest and foregoing the Staples rewards. I’ve used this method instead of using multiple accounts.

Groupon

Groupon has a limit of 5 on groupon goods, which are basically the only things I buy. While most of the time their stuff is either refurbished and/or priced. But sometimes they have good deals, in the past these have been chromebooks, desktops, ipods, tablets, wii fit boards, etc.

Fortunately, Groupon item limits are pretty easy to get around. The easiest way is if they have multiple colors of an item each is treated separately, which is a nice difference from most other stores. The second way is to create multiple accounts with different emails and then always use groupon gift cards to load the account and then pay with the Groupon balance. Not a problem at all thus far. You wan’t to pay with giftcards from a grocery store or ordering egiftcards from Staples through a portal to maximize points anyway.

Staples 20% off Coupon Coming Next week (the all-you can fit in a bag deal)

Is this better than the current 25% rewards? It’s slightly better. Why? Because it’s a discount rather than rewards back, and you still get 5% rewards with the 20% discount. They have similar exclusions.

Lord and Taylor Deals and Steals on Toys

Ok Lord and Taylor seems to have marked down a large portion of their kids toys. Now i admit I’m partial to electronics, and my foray into pirate ships was a pain, but most of these toys are much smaller, and includes deals from Melissa and Doug,, Hot Wheels, Gund, Fisher Price, etc..

And they have a lot that are selling for less than Amazon.

Like a Woobles stuffed penguin selling for $4.48 In Lord & Taylor, $14.99 on Amazon, and nets $10 after Amazon fees (less $1 if not pro seller).

And it gets better, use the promo code “FINAL” for 20% off clearance and 15% off regular priced items!

How to maximize the Lord & Taylor deal even more:

Use a portal Here are the best portal deals for L&T. Personally I’d take the shopdisover @ 10%, or the 5x Ultimate rewards through Chase if you need points.

Use Gift Cards:

If you can wait and think the deals will be there tomorrow, go through a portal to Staples and buy egift cards with your Chase Ink (5x points plus portal bonus). Or just get gift cards at a grocery or Office supply store depending on the credit cards you have available.

Oh,, and if you enjoyed this reselling content, please consider signing up for a Jet.com free 6-month trial (and helping me with my Jet.com insider ranking), or by visiting allaboutjet.com and signing up there.

Continue reading...