Barclays

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
We got offers for my wife and me to open this card with first year fee waived. 50000 miles for $3000 spent in 90 days. Is this worthwhile?

I have many cards, most of which have transferable points but this you have to use towards a purchase of travel.

Maybe(?) better off to get 3X points on CSR or is this a no brainer to take it?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
We got offers for my wife and me to open this card with first year fee waived. 50000 miles for $3000 spent in 90 days. Is this worthwhile?

I have many cards, most of which have transferable points but this you have to use towards a purchase of travel.

Maybe(?) better off to get 3X points on CSR or is this a no brainer to take it?
$500 in FREE travel is better that getting 1500 UR points for paying the $500, yes?

IMO, this is the card to get for the bonus, then put in the sock drawer. I have it on my list to get my (and my wife's) second soon. It's been awhile.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
$500 in FREE travel is better that getting 1500 UR points for paying the $500, yes?

IMO, this is the card to get for the bonus, then put in the sock drawer. I have it on my list to get my (and my wife's) second soon. It's been awhile.
Thanks. I guess I can use it to pay $3000 for me and also for my wife for travel then can get $500 each in credit for that purchase?

We have a big cruise upcoming so dont need to create anything. Of course spending $3000 on CSR would give 15000 UR but thats only maybe $225 not $500

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I guess I can use it to pay $3000 for me and also for my wife for travel then can get $500 each in credit for that purchase?

We have a big cruise upcoming so dont need to create anything. Of course spending $3000 on CSR would give 15000 UR but thats only maybe $225 not $500
That makes it sound close, but it's not THAT close! Sorry, but $500 on the CSR is only 1500 or 22.50 at best. Again, spend the min requirements (which gets more rebates), take the $500+ in travel rebates, then go back to the CSR.

dukerau

Level 2 Member

How does $3000 spend on CSR earn 15000 UR? Even if all $3000 is travel/dining, that's 9000 UR. Do you have any 1x spend you could put on Arrival? Even if all you have is travel/dining spend (seems improbable), consider:

$3k spend on Arrival:
$560 in travel credits (don't forget the 2% earn on the $3k spend)

$3k spend on CSR:
9k UR = $135 at 1.5cents per point

Seems a no brainer.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
$3k spend on Arrival:
$560 in travel credits (don't forget the 2% earn on the $3k spend)

$3k spend on CSR:
9k UR = $135 at 1.5cents per point
As you say, the best application is to use otherwise unbonused spend on the Arrival to hit $3k. If that same spend were put on the CSR, you would get a lowly 3k or 45.00. Which is a larger difference and more of a no-brainer, eh?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
We are retired and don't have a lot of spend. We already paid our cable and mobile phone bills some months in advance to get other bonuses. If I spend 1X on Barclays wont I still need to spend something on travel to use the points? 9000 is right I was thinking of airfares on AX Just home from Dubai at 12:30 not thinking straight. Guess we should both get these cards, spend 3K each towards our cruise, then use the points then cancel before annual fee next year?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Yikes! I got a prescreened offer as did my wife. Mine was put on hold!!! Hers was approved instantly. Is that usual? Should I be calling them or just wait? From what I've heard not getting approved instantly is usually a denial but they send it by snail mail for some reason.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Yikes! I got a prescreened offer as did my wife. Mine was put on hold!!! Hers was approved instantly. Is that usual? Should I be calling them or just wait? From what I've heard not getting approved instantly is usually a denial but they send it by snail mail for some reason.
I went pending on my Hawaiian card awhile back and did not call ... got it anyway. This isn't an indication of what you should do, but pending and not calling is not an instant denial.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I went pending on my Hawaiian card awhile back and did not call ... got it anyway. This isn't an indication of what you should do, but pending and not calling is not an instant denial.
I guess I didn't need to worry. I was approved overnight as I got an email saying details of card and when I checked I had in fact been approved. Just to be sure, shouldn't I make the minimum spend for travel even though I won't get 3X like on CSR because don't I need travel expense to use the 50K points?

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I guess I didn't need to worry. I was approved overnight as I got an email saying details of card and when I checked I had in fact been approved. Just to be sure, shouldn't I make the minimum spend for travel even though I won't get 3X like on CSR because don't I need travel expense to use the 50K points?
The optimal strategy would be to spend $588 on travel and $2,412 on 1x spend. Then use the 56,000 points you earn to reimburse the $560 on travel. Then you'll get a dividend of 2,800 points, so redeem towards the remaining $28 in travel. But that's theoretical optimal. Just remember you only need to spend on travel the amount you need to redeem against. The rest can be 1x spend. But if it's easier, just throw a $3k travel charge on it and be done with it. You would need a separate travel charge to redeem the 2,800 points you get as a dividend on redemption.

Last edited:

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
The optimal strategy would be to spend $588 on travel and $2,412 on 1x spend. Then use the 56,000 points you earn to reimburse the $560 on travel. Then you'll get a dividend of 2,800 points, so redeem towards the remaining $28 in travel. But that's theoretical optimal. Just remember you only need to spend on travel the amount you need to redeem against. The rest can be 1x spend. But if it's easier, just throw a $3k travel charge on it and be done with it. You would need a separate travel charge to redeem the 2,800 points you get as a dividend on redemption.
OK! Now I get it. Thanks. That's why I spend time in these fora.I guess I can find some 1X spend. Just have to be careful not to fall short.

Sloebrake

Level 2 Member
I guess I can find some 1X spend. Just have to be careful not to fall short.
You've mentioned a mortgage in another thread. Use plastiq {dot} com and for 2% you can complete your needed spend in 1 swing or make up any short.

Worst case scenario: Have plastiq charge ~2941.20 to pay your mortgage. Pay them ~$58.82 in fees for $500 in travel credit.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the creativity, but that's 4 months mortgage and now I'm paying a fee so the difference in value is different and we have 2 of these Barclay products. I think I will pay $588 on each card towards the cruise buy new laptops, which are overdue, and try to put all credit card spend on these until met(except bonus spend) buy a bit of clothing(I do need new sneaks) and if I must, buy Amazon gift cards.

I think my wife and I are now pretty much at the point where no new cards for awhile and regroup in a few months.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Update: Both my wife and I got the cards. Put $588 each towards our huge Viking cruise and finding no bonus spend for the rest unless we get close to the deadline in which case we will just put the balance towards the cruise.

Incidentally, these points seem to be posting instantaneously AND looks like 2X for travel so not a big deal. We would use CSR for 3X but if we need spend to get the 50K bonus of course we will.

BTW I'm envious(not exactly the right word) of the people who can spend 20, 30 or more thousands on cards. I'm guessing it is MS or having a business. We spend a lot of money in some ways but nearly all is on travel. If I need a quick grand in spend I could always just buy a suit.

Sean1234

Level 2 Member
Then you'll get a dividend of 2,800 points, so redeem towards the remaining $28 in travel. But that's theoretical optimal... You would need a separate travel charge to redeem the 2,800 points you get as a dividend on redemption.
I'm not sure that's quite right. With the changes to the redemption structure, minimum redemptions start at 10,000 points so Hanoi wouldn't be able to use his dividend of 2,800 points on a 28 purchase. Jesse at Loophole Travel has an incredible article on the ideal redemption math.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I'm not sure that's quite right. With the changes to the redemption structure, minimum redemptions start at 10,000 points so Hanoi wouldn't be able to use his dividend of 2,800 points on a 28 purchase. Jesse at Loophole Travel has an incredible article on the ideal redemption math.
Oh, good point! I forgot about the devaluation to a $100 minimum redemption. Another reason I dislike the Arrival+ card (beyond the sign up bonus).

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Piggy-backing on this thread. Will post my experience with Barclay's overall later (some of it is buried in my status posts, but best to add it here).

Wife and I have brand new Arrival+ cards. My second (first was 2+ years ago), her first.

If I purchase travel things as part of the $3000 MSR, can that be used to credit my statement at that point? Or does the travel spend have to come after the $3000? Have something to purchase and will use one of these cards if it makes sense!

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I'm am pretty sure you can do it. I believe you have 60? days to apply "miles" to something for a credit so you should be good to go. Your bonus will post and then you can apply the credit towards any of those recent purchases.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Never mind. Google flights sent me to a choice of booking sites including an option to book direct with the airline. I'm all set!

Thanks for the replies. I've pre-spent my bonus points on one card and have a plan for the other. Question: Anyone booked from the google flights web page and had any luck with an Arrival+ credit? I've never used google flights before, but they're showing me what I need at a great price! I'll poke some more.

Last edited:

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
Never mind. Google flights sent me to a choice of booking sites including an option to book direct with the airline. I'm all set!

Thanks for the replies. I've pre-spent my bonus points on one card and have a plan for the other. Question: Anyone booked from the google flights web page and had any luck with an Arrival+ credit? I've never used google flights before, but they're showing me what I need at a great price! I'll poke some more.
Yep, Google flights is just an aggregator. You can book through Orbitz, etc or with the airline directly.

dockers

Level 2 Member
Chiming in with another DP - you can indeed redeem A+ purchases against charges made to produce the 3k min spend.

In other news, I'm glad this card is churnable. I downgraded my A+ to an A. Couldn't re-apply for the A+ (technically, the Arrival and Arrival Plus are in the same family, and can only have one card per family). Cancelled the A, waited a month or two, opened another A+, just got the bonus. Will prob cancel in another few months and go for number three.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I started a new thread to discuss the optimal spend in order to get the most of the Arrival+ that will ultimately be drawered/cancelled. But I promised to info on my recent apps, so I'll put that here,.

2 weekends ago I gave up on my hopes for getting the CSR from Chase and created a app plan. For fun, I threw in an online SW Biz app that was declined for 5/24 ... oh well. But I applied for the Arrival+, Wyndham and Choice Privilege cards for myself, and the Arrival+ and Wyndham for my wife. All of these are from Barclays cards and resulted in a single pull for each of us. I was approved only for the Arrival+ while my wife hit a yes on both of her apps. I expected to do better than her. However ...

I had no open Barclays cards. In fact, I had acquired a Hawaiian Air card awhile back and closed in last November right before the fee hit. My wife has had a AAviator card open for 2+ years as they keep nixing the fee for us and offering a small but worthwhile bonus scheme. That history apparently allowed her to get the 2 additional card while my overall credit is a bit better than hers on multiple fronts.

My Arrival+ was approved and since that was my main target, I'm happy. I thought for sure the second card would be a slam-dunk and the third a long-short, but worth the try. Receiving 2 letters from Barclays, the following text was offered as the reason for the rejection:

"Length of time your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware is too short".

Don't know if they were referencing the Hawaiian card (they keep sending me email as if the card is alive) or the Arrival+ acquired an hour before.

Anyway. I thought it was interesting. If I decide to shoot for those other 2 again, I'll do it after the Arrival is close to levying the fee so I have some history.

Sean1234

Level 2 Member
I started a new thread to discuss the optimal spend in order to get the most of the Arrival+ that will ultimately be drawered/cancelled. But I promised to info on my recent apps, so I'll put that here,.

2 weekends ago I gave up on my hopes for getting the CSR from Chase and created a app plan. For fun, I threw in an online SW Biz app that was declined for 5/24 ... oh well. But I applied for the Arrival+, Wyndham and Choice Privilege cards for myself, and the Arrival+ and Wyndham for my wife. All of these are from Barclays cards and resulted in a single pull for each of us. I was approved only for the Arrival+ while my wife hit a yes on both of her apps. I expected to do better than her. However ...

I had no open Barclays cards. In fact, I had acquired a Hawaiian Air card awhile back and closed in last November right before the fee hit. My wife has had a AAviator card open for 2+ years as they keep nixing the fee for us and offering a small but worthwhile bonus scheme. That history apparently allowed her to get the 2 additional card while my overall credit is a bit better than hers on multiple fronts.

My Arrival+ was approved and since that was my main target, I'm happy. I thought for sure the second card would be a slam-dunk and the third a long-short, but worth the try. Receiving 2 letters from Barclays, the following text was offered as the reason for the rejection:

"Length of time your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware is too short".

Don't know if they were referencing the Hawaiian card (they keep sending me email as if the card is alive) or the Arrival+ acquired an hour before.

Anyway. I thought it was interesting. If I decide to shoot for those other 2 again, I'll do it after the Arrival is close to levying the fee so I have some history.
I assume you called recon?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Funny, I didn't, and as I posted that I realized that it couldn't really hurt. It seemed like a lost cause, but ya, I shouldn't give up that easily. Well, I won't bother for Chase, but Barclay's might be worth it. I'll try tonight, but I'm also still trying to recover my hijacked IHG account - 40 minutes on hold last night before I hung up.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
So I called tonight. First time I was on hold forever. Hung up and an hour or 2 later and it was answered quickly. Said it was because of the Arrival+ having just been open earlier the same day and it had no history. She did NOT mention my Hawaiian Air card or any previous Barclays history.

The interesting part was that she told me that I had opened 10 new CC accounts in the past year. I didn't check; I assume that is accurate. She commented on the 3 credit pulls from the same day. Well, there should have been 2 - Chase and then Barclays; 1 for all 3 apps and that's all my credit report shows. I didn't argue. In short she told me to "try again later" after the Arrival+ had been open for awhile. Ok. I don't intend on spending anything on it past the next 4 weeks, but OK.

The good news is that I did restore my IHG account. Except an award night went missing when it was all done. I've emailed about that.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
The Arrivals+ card has significant value beyond the sign-up bonus for those who spend a lot of time outside the US. 2% cash back, no foreign exchange fees, chip and pin and really good customer service with few fraud alerts. Inside the US, I like the Fidelity card better but it has 1% forex fee, reducing net cash back to 1%.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
The Arrivals+ card has significant value beyond the sign-up bonus for those who spend a lot of time outside the US. 2% cash back, no foreign exchange fees, chip and pin and really good customer service with few fraud alerts. Inside the US, I like the Fidelity card better but it has 1% forex fee, reducing net cash back to 1%.
It does have the benefit of chip-AND-pin, I believe we tried to use that in England/Ireland a couple of years ago. But I also remember using my CSP card where I had to sign and it worked fine and if eyes were rolling, I didn't notice. This was mostly at restaurants where the CSP gets 2x UR w/no forex which trumps 2% for me.

In fact, the Freedom Unlimited is my usual everyday card (AMEX Blue Biz at 2.3x has unseated it for the remainder of the year, when it can be used). At 1.5 and my per-point value, it's easily well above 2% to me.

If I did spend more time outside the US, perhaps the Arrival+ would hold more value. With 1-2 trips a year, it doesn't. To me it's a bonus-only card and not worth the annual fee to keep. I don't typically spend enough on trips outside of hotels and restaurants where 2% vs 1% would make a diff.

smittytabb

Staff member
We are in the minority, but I totally agree with you!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I have the Arrivals + but have shelved it thinking CSR is superior with 3X on hotels and restaurants no forex fee and like all of my current cards is chip/pin

Bury

Level 2 Member
If I spent more than a month abroad in chip+pin countries, I would go with a card with PIN ranked above signature in the CVM. This is a statement more about QoL and fitting into a local culture than pure CC rewards. There are some examples here. https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/cardsearch.php?feature[]=offline_pin&priority=pin&type[]=credit&type[]=debit

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
It does have the benefit of chip-AND-pin, I believe we tried to use that in England/Ireland a couple of years ago. But I also remember using my CSP card where I had to sign and it worked fine and if eyes were rolling, I didn't notice. This was mostly at restaurants where the CSP gets 2x UR w/no forex which trumps 2% for me.

In fact, the Freedom Unlimited is my usual everyday card (AMEX Blue Biz at 2.3x has unseated it for the remainder of the year, when it can be used). At 1.5 and my per-point value, it's easily well above 2% to me.

If I did spend more time outside the US, perhaps the Arrival+ would hold more value. With 1-2 trips a year, it doesn't. To me it's a bonus-only card and not worth the annual fee to keep. I don't typically spend enough on trips outside of hotels and restaurants where 2% vs 1% would make a diff.
Need for Chip and pin is way overstated. Lack of false fraud alerts, and great customer service is not.

Chase Freedom Unlimited is uneconomic for overseas use, which was the topic, due to 3% forex fee. Sapphire Preferred, or better yet Reserve, is great fro category bonuses.

That leaves non-bonused overseas travel. 2% cash back with no fees and no hassle is pretty good, but need to work annual fee into the equation.