#westcoastDO Official Thread - hotel options, cheap rates, room shares

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Please go ahead and start sharing ideas - I will use this first post to recap as a Wiki, and also add data points. For those thinking to stay in Kimpton, you might want to status match in :)

The host hotel, Kimpton Firesky has a rate of $159 per night, plus a $22 resort fee...it is still a bit pricey for some - though for that you do get a number of perks, one of which being the Kimpton wine hour, which I value at around $670 based on my consumption level.

Update - it looks like the discount rate may have sold out, they were overwhelmed by the inflow today and we are trying to see what the current status is, the last I spoke with them (for an hour on this alone) they were all out at this rate.

For those who would like to stay at other hotels, I think a great tool, as recommended constantly by their owner/operator @BoonDR is awardmapper.com Here is the result list I pulled from them, some very cheap options available if this data is accurate:

Hotels.PNG

Notable budget options appear to be Hyatt House and the Double Tree, both just a couple of blocks away.

Last edited:

TBB

Level 2 Member
got my ticket without even looking at my calendar!

How to maximize Kimpton hotel stay, anyone?

Any hotels nearby within walking distance?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Yep, there is one right across the street that is cheaper called Chaparral, but since we pulled down the room rate this far it is hardly worth it now IMO. There is a Days Inn nearby that hotels.com shows at $84 per night, and I will write up a post on others - we picked this location over a close second because it has cheaper options in the neighborhood.

AIM

Level 2 Member

Yep, there is one right across the street that is cheaper called Chaparral, but since we pulled down the room rate this far it is hardly worth it now IMO. There is a Days Inn nearby that hotels.com shows at $84 per night, and I will write up a post on others - we picked this location over a close second because it has cheaper options in the neighborhood.
There are a couple of Hyatts a mile down the road too (a Hyatt House and a Hyatt Place across the street from one another). Room rates are $130-150 so not much cheaper but you could use 8000 points or 4000 points + $55.

Shane

Level 2 Member
Got a ticket too. Like George would be interested in those more familiar with the Kimpton brand. Otherwise thinking of one of the Hyatts down the road. Hopefully I can find decent flights, that weekend to PHX from DTW isn't looking good right now for saver level flights on all the programs :(

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I booked the Hilton DoubleTree (30K) which is walking distance down the street for a late Friday arrival. I may check out the Hyatt though but I'd have to transfer some UR points first.

I will try to stay at the Kimpton for Saturday. This takes a little of the sting out of the cash outlay for the weekend.

TBB

Level 2 Member
Shane: Let me know if you see flights opening up that weekend from DTW!

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Got a ticket too. Like George would be interested in those more familiar with the Kimpton brand. Otherwise thinking of one of the Hyatts down the road. Hopefully I can find decent flights, that weekend to PHX from DTW isn't looking good right now for saver level flights on all the programs :(
Haven't stayed at this Kimpton, but have done so at others. They are very nice.

SCC

Level 2 Member
Ticket purchased. This seems like a good time to start shifting my focus from airlines to hotels.

PatMike

Level 2 Member
Fees are pretty steep - $618 for 3 nights ouch !
Always worth it to me to be at the host hotel though.
This weekend will probably cost more than my following 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand !
Not complaining, just grateful for Barclays !

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Fees are pretty steep - $618 for 3 nights ouch !
Always worth it to me to be at the host hotel though.
This weekend will probably cost more than my following 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand !
Not complaining, just grateful for Barclays !
Agreed. I didn't like the price either, but it really was the best we could do - Hyatts wanted anything from 1.5-2x that price. There are alternative options nearby, so people do have some options.

Kaboom

Level 2 Member
Man I have been sitting on some Hilton points for a while. The DoubleTree looks like a solid option at 30k

Nicole

Level 2 Member
Is there a good number of rooms set aside for this? I can't make reservations till next week very easily. Looking forward to it Matt!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a good number of rooms set aside for this? I can't make reservations till next week very easily. Looking forward to it Matt!
They sounded like they had a number left, but give them a call, the guy is very fast- I booked two rooms in under a minute, it is very high touch stuff, like he will later look up and add on my Kimpton number, and sort out any nuances, doesn't feel like a big chain.

Trevor

Level 2 Member
Haven't stayed at this Kimpton, but have done so at others. They are very nice.
Second this...my wife and I did a weekend getaway a Kimpton Chicago. VERY good service. At the attached restaurant, my food came out 5 minutes after my wife's and they absolutely INSISTED on removing it from the bill. I tried to tell them not to, but they wouldn't change their minds...server got an extra nice tip instead.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Booked at the Kimpton but probably will look into less expensive options. First I need to sort out if my H will be coming along as a trailing spouse. If he does, I may be posting about "playdates" for him with other trailing spouses. As in hiking or biking, not hanky-panky!

Also need to rebook some airline tickets. Looks like I won't be flying home from Maui, but will instead fly OGG-PHX. I do hope H comes to PHX - it will ease some of the guilt I am feeling for running off to Maui for a girls vacation! Lucky we will be leaving Hawaii on the 6th or I would have had a conflict.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Well... I just had an hour call with them, the sales manager was great, but they had silly revenue rules in place that wouldn't help us. So they are now out of rooms at $159. I was able to secure a room for you, as I know you prefer a full service hotel :) but other than that I am not sure what I can do for others.

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
The host hotel, Kimpton Firesky has a rate of $159 per night, plus a $22 resort fee... we haggled it down well, but it is still a bit pricey - though for that you do get a number of perks, one of which being the Kimpton wine hour, which I value at around $670 based on my consumption level.

Update - it looks like the discount rate may have sold out, they were overwhelmed by the inflow today and we are trying to see what the current status is, the last I spoke with them (for an hour on this alone) they were all out at this rate.
So I just called to check on the discounted rate, since I never really believe them when they say it's no longer available. I am new to the Kimpton brand and was looking forward to their great service. I ended up having a weird conversation with a woman who identified herself as a manager - she told me that Ryan and the entire reservations team had already left, and I would have to call back on Saturday.

Grrrr.

Luchex

Level 2 Member
There is even a friend who lives around the corner and told me I can stay there. And also there is very close a Jack in the Box that is in the Reward Network and gives miles in United!!!Good luck trying to spend $40 to get the bonus.

Paul

Level 2 Member
I called Ryan at 1PM. Got voice mail. He finally returned at 2:15 but I was out. By time I called back at 4:15, he was gone for the weekend. Bunch of horsechit to learn discounted rooms are out already and that we needed to call one guy who didn't return calls for hours.

Of all the choices, why Kimpton? No self respecting MSer would ever stay at one....what are all our Hilton/Hyatt/SPG/Marriott points for if not to be used at a meet up like this? Almost a face palm situation.

James from BNA

VR Jacket Guy
I'm booked at the Phoenician, a nice Starwood property a couple miles away right on Camelback mountain. 12,000 SPG points or $469/night. I've stayed there a couple of times before and it's really nice. There is an awesome hiking trail up Camelback mountain within walking distance of the Phoenician. I might take PatMike's advice and use some Barclay points for the host hotel, but I have the Phoenician and the Hyatt House booked for now.

James from BNA

VR Jacket Guy
Not sure if you shun Southwest but they have non-stops for 27,740 list rate Friday to Sunday. PM for a way to cut this to 19,200. I will take a non-stop in economy over a layover with an upgrade any day.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
I called Ryan at 1PM. Got voice mail. He finally returned at 2:15 but I was out. By time I called back at 4:15, he was gone for the weekend. Bunch of horsechit to learn discounted rooms are out already and that we needed to call one guy who didn't return calls for hours.

Of all the choices, why Kimpton? No self respecting MSer would ever stay at one....what are all our Hilton/Hyatt/SPG/Marriott points for if not to be used at a meet up like this? Almost a face palm situation.
I have to say that your post is pretty ridiculous. According to your own post, he called you back within 75 mins, then you called back after 2 hours and he is the guy "didn't return calls for hours". You waited 3 hours to even call the hotel. Then you complain about the Kimpton.... Well, if you don't like it you don't have to stay there, or attend the event.

Are you always this high maintenance?

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I'm looking at the Hilton and Hyatt options in the area and I have Diamond status with both chains. Which ones would be a good option and good value?

The DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Paradise Valley - Scottsdale seems to be good value at 30,000 points and free parking.

Speaking of parking, does the host hotel come with free parking for conference attendees?

The Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas would be an even better value at 30,000 points, but it doesn't seem to show any award availability. What am I missing here?

The Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Gainey Ranch has an intriguing corporate rate and looks great, but it seems a bit far but it may be a good option for an extended stay.

Paul

Level 2 Member
I have to say that your post is pretty ridiculous. According to your own post, he called you back within 75 mins, then you called back after 2 hours and he is the guy "didn't return calls for hours". You waited 3 hours to even call the hotel. Then you complain about the Kimpton.... Well, if you don't like it you don't have to stay there, or attend the event.

Are you always this high maintenance?
Hmmm. I'm stuck arranging my day around a guy's who's job is to book rooms? Really? I can go on any website and book in minutes. But to get the "discount" rate, I have to play phone tag? Absurd.

Doesn't it strike you as extremely odd there's a meetup where we all are to discuss our great MS skills to get "free" rooms/flights and yet the venue is at one of the few chains where we can't use all the points we have? I really hate the idea of using Arrival points for a hotel room where I literally have millions of points in multiple hotel programs (thanks to lots of MS on hotel credit cards). That's face palm material. I haven't paid for a room in years and surely didn't expect to in what is supposed to be the Holy Grail of MSing.

As for the hotel itself, looks very nice. But there are plenty other nice hotels in the area too where we could use points at substantial discount over book rates.

Now the choice is to pay rack rate at this place (since the few discounted rooms sold out in hours - before the discount code was even offered) or use my points elsewhere but arrange transport? Crikey.

Deltahater

If you really haven't paid for rooms in years, you surely can afford to pay for two nights. Matt had a reason for picking the Kimpton (and explained that in one of his posts).
The discounted rate was announced and available for anybody to call in. You just missed it.

I for one appreciate all the hard work that goes into planning a large event like this, maybe because I have done several large events during my corporate days and I know how difficult it is to pull it off. I also know it is impossible to please everybody.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. I'm stuck arranging my day around a guy's who's job is to book rooms? Really? I can go on any website and book in minutes. But to get the "discount" rate, I have to play phone tag? Absurd.

Doesn't it strike you as extremely odd there's a meetup where we all are to discuss our great MS skills to get "free" rooms/flights and yet the venue is at one of the few chains where we can't use all the points we have? I really hate the idea of using Arrival points for a hotel room where I literally have millions of points in multiple hotel programs (thanks to lots of MS on hotel credit cards). That's face palm material. I haven't paid for a room in years and surely didn't expect to in what is supposed to be the Holy Grail of MSing.

As for the hotel itself, looks very nice. But there are plenty other nice hotels in the area too where we could use points at substantial discount over book rates.

Now the choice is to pay rack rate at this place (since the few discounted rooms sold out in hours - before the discount code was even offered) or use my points elsewhere but arrange transport? Crikey.
I agree with you Paul. We looked at several other options for the hotel, and we were going to move forward with a Hyatt - the one in Scottsdale was booked so it didn't work, but we did find one in CA that we liked. However they wouldn't allow us to book without an 'attrition policy' in place. This means that we would have to guarantee to 'sell' a certain number of rooms, meaning we would have to encourage people to not use points, or corp codes, they would have to be on 'our' rate. We actually avoided this in the end because every room option in the area (including our discounted rate) would have been at $240 per night - no cheap options.

I don't want to be a travel agent, nor a pimp for a hotel, so I instead went with what is called a 'courtesy block rate' of $159, we were assured that it would be fine, and it is exactly what we did with the Hyatt in CLT for DO #1. The way this works they block off say 10-20 rooms, we fill them, the release 10-20 more, we fill them.. etc.. and then about 30-60 days prior to the event they call it on the rate.

What happened yesterday with Firesky is that the sales manager (who is a really nice girl called Sarah) sent me this email at 4:35pm:

Hi Matt!

We’re so pumped about how the blocks already picked up – keep ‘em coming! I understand you spoke with Ryan earlier today; our cancellation for the entire hotel is 72-hours, which Ryan let me know he informed you of.

Please let me know if you need anything further – happy (pre-)4th!

I then got an email from a reader saying our block was full and I needed to call in, so I emailed Sarah back saying:

Am getting reports from my readers that your block is full- please sort that out guys.

Sarah's reply (around 1hr after her first message) was

Hi Matt –

I just concluded a meeting with my Director; as the block is a courtesy, we are only able to offer 20 reservations without a stronger cancellation policy. We have to be able to protect and manage our inventory, and with 20 reservations, you already have 10% of the hotel! As our courtesy blocks normally are budgeted at 7 guestrooms and by definition are not obligations on behalf of either party, I’m thrilled to be able to honor this terrific deal for these 20 rooms that have booked so quickly.

In order to continue offering the $159.00 rate, we’d either need a locked in contract, guaranteeing a certain number of rooms, or any future reservations booked into this courtesy block would have to be non-cancelable.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I will be out of the office for the holiday, back on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend as well!

I called in to sort this out, and we spent an hour last night trying to resolve it, and she really was a professional who was trying to help, but she has been put in a position by someone at Kimpton that she just can't figure a way out of. On the call there was no real talk of keeping the $159 rate here, it was instead to move the rate to 179 (and put it on an attrition basis - IE non refundable) or offer $199 with the same 72 hr prior cancellation but only for like 5 rooms as a slow down period - the other rate that we could offer would just be rack rate.

Simply put, this is a revenue play by Kimpton, someone decided that they could get more money from the rooms than our rate, and since we sold so many so fast they are worried that if they were to have the full 120 people staying there it would be like 50% of their rooms sold off at a lower rate than they 'could hope to get' if they sold them open market.

I think it is incredibly short sighted and unprofessional of this brand to pull this on us, but I can't find out who pulled this move, I talked with the sales team at Firesky (great people) I talked with social media (great people) I talked with loyalty (great people) and I just can't find who the link in the chain is that decided to pull this on us, it really feels like bait and switch to me.

We took a risk on Kimpton, bringing in people with top tier status from Hyatt, Hilton and SPG and steering them away from their brands, and I feel like a dick right now.

Last edited:

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Thank you for all the hard work, Matt. You are not a dick.

Thank you Paul and Deltahater for bringing this back to a conversation about the problem of booking at the hotel and expectations.

I cannot offer anything except my support for you all.

Deltahater

Maybe I am missing something, but if you had 120 tickets, then you probably need 60-80 rooms at Firesky. Some people are locals, others stay with friends, other hotels or double up. So here is a potential solution:

Make all reservations non-refundable at $159, but allow name changes for DO attendees. So if I can't go, I can give my room to somebody else who wants to go. This way the hotel protects their revenue and we get the $159 rate.

Deltahater

So that is to fix our immediate problem. Now, let's address Kimpton.

Kimpton is a small brand with, presumably, nice properties. I have never stayed at one and had never considered them before this. But, I thought companies who support us should be supported. I even looked at shifting other stays from Marriott and IHG to them for future stays. I studied their Inner Circle program and thought it was pretty good.
But this does feel like a bait and switch to me and a little unprofessional. Here is a group of 120 travel maniacs who are key influencers in their respective cities and they pull this before we even stepped into their lobhy. Seems like "How not to build brand loyalty 101".
So as a result, I will not consider Kimpton for future stays. As a part-time travel agent, I will also actively steer clients away from Kimpton. It sounds like the local staff is trying really hard and somebody in an ivory tower is the roadblock. (Ryan called me back within 40 mins). Its a shame, really. Looks like one person created a lose-lose situation for 300+ people.

No, Matt you are not the dick. Somebody else is.

TBB

Level 2 Member
Arranging these events is difficult and is bound to not keep everyone happy. Hope Kimpton comes through with a mutually beneficial arrangement. I sent in my info about elite status match and still nothing...so definitely not impressed by them at this point.