#westcoastDO Official Thread - hotel options, cheap rates, room shares

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Arranging these events is difficult and is bound to not keep everyone happy. Hope Kimpton comes through with a mutually beneficial arrangement. I sent in my info about elite status match and still nothing...so definitely not impressed by them at this point.
Yeah, they didn't get back to me yet... well I mean I have had a ton of contact with lots of people, but not a reply on that, despite several people saying they would. They seem to be really good people and I think that the experience will be very, very good. But it doesn't take much in a system to cause roadblocks (both poor decision makers in a chain, and slower processes in the upgrade channel etc) I'm hopeful that they will treat everyone the way they promised me.

Barb

Level 2 Member
I absolutely agree with Deltahater, this is such a short sighted play on Kimpton's part. We are all active travelers, many of us with status in multiple hotel programs. The prospect of staying at Kimpton caused my husband and me to take a look at their loyalty program and consider moving some of his revenue stays to them from Marriott, Hyatt and SPG. However, this last minute tactic makes us wonder about their business ethics. I am also amazed that they thought the take up on rooms might be 20 or less. Really? Isn't the idea to encourage people to stay on property even at a promotional rate so that they could spend dollars on ancillary services like food, drink, spa?

Kaboom

Level 2 Member
I think a few of us booked the DoubleTree just down the street. Maybe we could have everyone stay there and just shift the after party =)

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Agree that Kimpton is missing the mark here. Given that we all have elite status with other properties, they might end up really losing if we all decide to use the Firesky for the "conference" part only and take our spending down the road to another brand. I'm sure someone could arrange a similar courtesy rate with another brand down the road and book in 60+ rooms plus food and bev (ahem) that would out most favorably for all involved. 11/8 is a slow weekend, even slower if the ~10 rooms that are booked cancel and go elsewhere.

MikeM

Level 2 Member
Went ahead and booked the Hyatt House, just in case we can't get the old Kimpton rate honored.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
We should use social media. Maybe everyone should tweet @kimpton with hashtags #kimptonbaitandswitch #WestCoastDO #FireSky and express their disappointment?

If this doesn't get management's attention then they are a lost cause.

Paul

Level 2 Member
I agree with you Paul. We looked at several other options for the hotel, and we were going to move forward with a Hyatt - the one in Scottsdale was booked so it didn't work, but we did find one in CA that we liked. However they wouldn't allow us to book without an 'attrition policy' in place. This means that we would have to guarantee to 'sell' a certain number of rooms, meaning we would have to encourage people to not use points, or corp codes, they would have to be on 'our' rate. We actually avoided this in the end because every room option in the area (including our discounted rate) would have been at $240 per night - no cheap options.

I don't want to be a travel agent, nor a pimp for a hotel, so I instead went with what is called a 'courtesy block rate' of $159, we were assured that it would be fine, and it is exactly what we did with the Hyatt in CLT for DO #1. The way this works they block off say 10-20 rooms, we fill them, the release 10-20 more, we fill them.. etc.. and then about 30-60 days prior to the event they call it on the rate.

What happened yesterday with Firesky is that the sales manager (who is a really nice girl called Sarah) sent me this email at 4:35pm:

Hi Matt!

We’re so pumped about how the blocks already picked up – keep ‘em coming! I understand you spoke with Ryan earlier today; our cancellation for the entire hotel is 72-hours, which Ryan let me know he informed you of.

Please let me know if you need anything further – happy (pre-)4th!

I then got an email from a reader saying our block was full and I needed to call in, so I emailed Sarah back saying:

Am getting reports from my readers that your block is full- please sort that out guys.

Sarah's reply was

Hi Matt –

I just concluded a meeting with my Director; as the block is a courtesy, we are only able to offer 20 reservations without a stronger cancellation policy. We have to be able to protect and manage our inventory, and with 20 reservations, you already have 10% of the hotel! As our courtesy blocks normally are budgeted at 7 guestrooms and by definition are not obligations on behalf of either party, I’m thrilled to be able to honor this terrific deal for these 20 rooms that have booked so quickly.

In order to continue offering the $159.00 rate, we’d either need a locked in contract, guaranteeing a certain number of rooms, or any future reservations booked into this courtesy block would have to be non-cancelable.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I will be out of the office for the holiday, back on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend as well!

I called in to sort this out, and we spent an hour last night trying to resolve it, and she really was a professional who was trying to help, but she has been put in a position by someone at Kimpton that she just can't figure a way out of. On the call there was no real talk of keeping the $159 rate here, it was instead to move the rate to 179 (and put it on an attrition basis - IE non refundable) or offer $199 with the same 72 hr prior cancellation but only for like 5 rooms as a slow down period - the other rate that we could offer would just be rack rate.

Simply put, this is a revenue play by Kimpton, someone decided that they could get more money from the rooms than our rate, and since we sold so many so fast they are worried that if they were to have the full 120 people staying there it would be like 50% of their rooms sold off at a lower rate than they 'could hope to get' if they sold them open market.

I think it is incredibly short sighted and unprofessional of this brand to pull this on us, but I can't find out who pulled this move, I talked with the sales team at Firesky (great people) I talked with social media (great people) I talked with loyalty (great people) and I just can't find who the link in the chain is that decided to pull this on us, it really feels like bait and switch to me.

We took a risk on Kimpton, bringing in people with top tier status from Hyatt, Hilton and SPG and steering them away from their brands, and I feel like a dick right now.
Matt,

Nah, sounds reasonable explanation now that I see the details and thought process. Looks like they gave you a bum steer and then pulled the rug out (to mix metaphors). I suspect Kimpton just lost a lot of future business. Surely this group of people are unusually large consumers of hotel rooms vs the Average Joe.

PointsCentric

Level 2 Member
Anyone have thoughts on the Hyatt Place vs Hyatt House? They are basically across the street from each other and the elite rate is $125 @ Hyatt Place vs $135 @ Hyatt House.

What's the consensus on which Hyatt property?

skibum3d

Level 2 Member
Anyone have thoughts on the Hyatt Place vs Hyatt House? They are basically across the street from each other and the elite rate is $125 @ Hyatt Place vs $135 @ Hyatt House.

What's the consensus on which Hyatt property?
I can't speak for these two properties in particular, but in general I'd take the Hyatt House over Hyatt Place. I'd even pay an extra $20 or so for the HH.

Barb

Level 2 Member
I stayed in both the Hyatt Place and Hyatt House for the last Saverocity DO and Hyatt House in that instance was definitely nicer. HH had a separate bedroom vs. a single open space in HP. The breakfast was superior in the Hyatt House with the omelette bar and other hot options. It was the same in the Hyatt House in VA where I stayed for the FTU. Great breakfast and well-appointed room. So my vote would be for the HH as well.

PointsCentric

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the quick responses! Looks like I will be booking the Hyatt House as a backup if we can't get the $159 @ Firesky.

Bret Bourgeois

Level 2 Member
Matt,

I am responding to the email you sent this morning.

Yes, I want a room for 2 adults and 1 child from Friday- Monday at the Firesky.

Thanks.

Bret Bourgeois

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Just FYI, I just booked the Hyatt Place as follows:
Room(s) Booked: KING BED
Room Description: Hyatt Grand Bed: Cozy Corner sofa-sleeper Free WiFi: 42in TV: Free hot breakfast
Nightly Rate per Room:
November 7 - November 9 103.00 US DOLLARS + tax
Type of Rate: STATE GOVERNMENT
Rate Information: State Government Rate
CANCELLATION POLICY: CANCEL BY 3PM MST 24 HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

It may not be as nice as the Hyatt House but the rate is great and we are eligible for it through my husband's work. We actually have reservations at the Kimpton, but may just decide we prefer to spend less money, especially if it turns out that few attendees will actually be staying at the Kimpton.

Laura

Level 2 Member
I'd like to stay at the host hotel for at least Saturday night if a room opens up at the negotiated rate...

Pdxjets22

Hey Matt, I'm responding to the e-mail you sent yesterday. Considering the rate has changed at Firesky I will likely stay somewhere else all together. As others haves mentioned I'll probably look toward one of the Hyatts as well.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
I just called Firesky and cancelled my reservation. I don't appreciate what they are doing to Matt/us and even though I had the $159 rate, it is important to show alliegance and loyalty. I am staying at the Fairfield Inn Scottsdale North. $44 as a TA

Haley

I am not a robot
If they match to Getaroom with their BRG, you might be able to get a slightly better deal.
Still not the $159 +22 rate but it gets pretty close.
$159 plus tax fees and $22 resort fee works out to $684, so $228 a night

Getaroom has $211 (really $219 when I clicked through to book it) plus tax and fees the rate is $257 but you get a $25 food or beverage credit, so call it $227 (edit, bad math) it is $232. For a one night stay this seems to beat the $159(edit: nope, bad math).

Edit: based on the cancelation terms I'm guessing the resort fee is not in the Getaroom rate, so final cost for one night is $257 + $22-$25 resort fee - $25 food and beverage credit or right around $257 so $30 or so more than the special rate (for a one night reservation, since the $25 food credit is per stay, not per night).

My math must be off somewhere. I'll go recheck, brb.

-——————————————————————edit————————————————————————
Getaroom rate is unclear about if resort fee is included or not in the rate. So it may end up one night on BRG match would be $21-25 more than the $159 base rate.

-——————————————————————edit 2———————————————————————
The numbers so you can check my math.

Hotel name:FireSky Resort & Spa

Hotel address:4925 N Scottsdale Road Scottsdale, Arizona 85251

Phone/Fax number:1-480-945-7666 ph 1-480-946-4056 fax

Your rate:Saverosity Courtesy Block

Your room type:patio Guest Room with 1 King Bed

Nightly rates:Friday, November 07, 2014 USD 159.00
Saturday, November 08, 2014 USD 159.00
Sunday, November 09, 2014 USD 159.00

Average nightly rate:USD 159.00

Approximate total charges:USD 618.57
PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION POLICY
Method:XX

Credit Card Number:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Policy Information:
This credit card is being used to guarantee your room. Please provide a credit card at the time of check in for room, tax & incidentals. Must be cancelled 72 hours prior to arrival 6pm local hotel time to avoid a one night's room and tax charge to your credit card. An early departure fee in the amount of up to one night's room and tax may apply. Resort fee of 22 USD per night applies.

Last edited:

Haley

I am not a robot
To sum up the long post with multiple edits:

If Firesky will BRG match to Getaroom (based on today's rates) for a Sat night only reservation it would cost about $36 more than the $159 rate Matt negotiated for.

BRG is match the rate plus give you a $25 food and beverage credit.

$219-$25 = $194

This would have the same cancelation policy as the $159 rate.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I am staying at the Fairfield Inn Scottsdale North. $44 as a TA
TA ??
How far is the Fairfield from the Firesky?
Thanks!

And as Haley said above, a huge thanks to Matt. I have a feeling Kimpton will regret their short-sighted decision to rescind the rate.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
I think TA is travel agent.
Yes, it is travel agent. Marriott has some phenomenal rates for travel agents, including their collection properties.

The Fairfield Inn is 7.1 miles due North of the Firesky. There are some other Marriott properties closer to the Firesky, but none had that rate available. I'll keep checking

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
AAA rate at Hyatt Place (which looks to be within walking distance of the FireSky) was $125 or 8000 points for that weekend.

Melissa

Level 2 Member
If the majority of us arent staying at the 'host' hotel now, why not just change the location altogether?

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
I found an amazing deal on a place not too far from the Firesky! It includes free breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, upgraded room, early check- in and late check-out, WIFI, and even my bed turned down for the night! Oh, and free transportation to and from the airport! The price...$0.00! Okay, it's my grandma's, but still, I'd like to see Hyatt try and beat "favorite grandchild status!" Good luck with this hotel situation, everybody!

TBB

Level 2 Member
Travel Bloggers qualify as Travel Agents no? :) I am sure we know more than them!

I emailed my material for Inner Circle earlier this week. Nada!

And thumbs up for Grandma!

Marshallonmoney

Level 2 Member
I'm looking at the Hilton and Hyatt options in the area and I have Diamond status with both chains. Which ones would be a good option and good value?

The DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Paradise Valley - Scottsdale seems to be good value at 30,000 points and free parking.

Speaking of parking, does the host hotel come with free parking for conference attendees?

The Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas would be an even better value at 30,000 points, but it doesn't seem to show any award availability. What am I missing here?

The Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Gainey Ranch has an intriguing corporate rate and looks great, but it seems a bit far but it may be a good option for an extended stay.
I am staying there before DO. Got cash and points rate, 10K plus 125/nt and used suite upgrade to get suite.
Transferring to Hyatt House for Friday and Sat nite since Kimpton booked, again using cash and points 4K plus 55.
Hyatt House just a few blocks from Kimpton.

Barb

Level 2 Member
Data point. Applied for status match to Inner Circle on July 3 and received notification today of success, so three day turnaround. Matched to Hyatt Diamond. Inner Circle status is good until Feb 16/2016.

Last edited:

AIM

Level 2 Member
Data point. Applied for status match to Inner Circle on July 3 and received notification today of success, so three day turnaround. Matched to Hyatt Diamond. Inner Circle status is good until Feb 16/2016.
I also received my status this morning after applying on July 3. My expiry is the same. Now if only we can stay at the property to take advantage.

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I also received my status this morning after applying on July 3. My expiry is the same. Now if only we can stay at the property to take advantage.
I received mine as well until February 2016. I think Matt will be having an interesting chat with the CEO. :)